Thick urine, like raw egg whites

MT1

Location (City and/or State)
Newmarket Suffolk
So, gout was presumed, not diagnosed with a high degree of certainty. I'm not saying this is inappropriate; that is the way many things are diagnosed and subsequently treated. However, it does sound as though the diagnosis is far from set in stone. What medication was used for the presumed gout?
Hi, My Hermanns has diagnosed with gout after high uriric acid in blood test. This was noticed after she had a difficult spay due to trapped egg last year. Vet has prescribed Allopurinol that i have to give her every other day... the level of dosage was found after continued bllod tests and spacing the days medication was given. Her levels are still at the high end. She seems fine in herself but she will have to be on this for the rest of her life. I havent checked a second opinion yet. Hope this helps?

KdeeA

5 Year Member
So, gout was presumed, not diagnosed with a high degree of certainty. I'm not saying this is inappropriate; that is the way many things are diagnosed and subsequently treated. However, it does sound as though the diagnosis is far from set in stone. What medication was used for the presumed gout?
Allopurinol was prescribed for the gout. She said he would probably have to take it for life since she didn’t think it was caused by diet based on what I was feeding and that it’s probably genetic. I stopped the Allopurinol while giving the antibiotic and am debating whether to start giving it again. Am offering a more varied diet based on what I have been learning on here. The urine seems a little thinner but not sure if it’s just coincidence. I wish herp vets were easier to come by... May take him back in for another blood test and see the other doc.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Hi, My Hermanns has diagnosed with gout after high uriric acid in blood test. This was noticed after she had a difficult spay due to trapped egg last year. Vet has prescribed Allopurinol that i have to give her every other day... the level of dosage was found after continued bllod tests and spacing the days medication was given. Her levels are still at the high end. She seems fine in herself but she will have to be on this for the rest of her life. I havent checked a second opinion yet. Hope this helps?
How long ago was she diagnosed? And do you know what the levels were by chance? I’ve been having a hard time finding other people to compare notes with :)

Reactions: MT1

MT1

Newmarket Suffolk
How long ago was she diagnosed? And do you know what the levels were by chance? I’ve been having a hard time finding other people to compare notes with :)
Hi, yes I think her levels were 330 and high end range is anywhere between 320 and 390 I think he said. It went back up quickly without the allopurinol given sadly. Apparently there is another drug that worked but they can no longer get it?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The food choices and the amounts of specific non-safe foods you're giving the tortoise is the likely cause of their gout. Fix that by cutting out all the store bought greens containing excess amounts of goitrogens and oxalic acid for tortoises. Increase the amount of fibrous broad leaf plant weeds and flowers. Include succulents to promote more frequent bowel movements. In time, the tortoise will be stay gout free and there would no longer be any need to continue to use that medicine.

MT1

Newmarket Suffolk
The food choices and the amounts of specific non-safe foods you're giving the tortoise is the likely cause of their gout. Fix that by cutting out all the store bought greens containing excess amounts of goitrogens and oxalic acid for tortoises. Increase the amount of fibrous broad leaf plant weeds and flowers. Include succulents to promote more frequent bowel movements. In time, the tortoise will be stay gout free and there would no longer be any need to continue to use that medicine.
Thank you sadly mine is due to a very difficult operation last year to remove a trapped egg and spay, subsequently her kidneys were damaged during this. It’s certainly worth a try though. Her diet is mainly recommended weeds and lambs lettuce x

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you sadly mine is due to a very difficult operation last year to remove a trapped egg and spay, subsequently her kidneys were damaged during this. It’s certainly worth a try though. Her diet is mainly recommended weeds and lambs lettuce x

That may explain your tortoise's inability to process enough of the plant protein it's getting in it's current diet. A healthier tortoise would have otherwise had no problems with. I would say in your case to definitely include more laxative type foods like succulents to be sure that your tortoise is regularly voiding their bowels, forcing them to retake in water to ensure that they're not constantly holding onto small amounts of water for long periods of time. This may mean soaking the adult? tortoise more than regularly recommended to ensure the tortoise is getting every chance to void and retake in water as frequently as he or she can.

MT1

Newmarket Suffolk
That may explain your tortoise's inability to process enough of the plant protein it's getting in it's current diet. A healthier tortoise would have otherwise had no problems with. I would say in your case to definitely include more laxative type foods like succulents to be sure that your tortoise is regularly voiding their bowels, forcing them to retake in water to ensure that they're not constantly holding onto small amounts of water for long periods of time. This may mean soaking the adult? tortoise more than regularly recommended to ensure the tortoise is getting every chance to void and retake in water as frequently as he or she can.
Thank you. What succulents do you recommend as I’m in the U.K.. she is bathed every 2 days and always produces poo and urates ( smooth not gritty) she has a good appetite, this time last year she was very poorly and it took a CT scan to realise the mass shown on x ray and ultrasound scan was in fact a large egg that had to be broken and then flushed out of her insides. Meds and feeding tube for 2 months after the operation that included a spay.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you. What succulents do you recommend as I’m in the U.K.. she is bathed every 2 days and always produces poo and urates ( smooth not gritty) she has a good appetite, this time last year she was very poorly and it took a CT scan to realise the mass shown on x ray and ultrasound scan was in fact a large egg that had to be broken and then flushed out of her insides. Meds and feeding tube for 2 months after the operation that included a spay.

That sounds horrific. Must have shredded her insides in the process. There was no other way for the vet to get the egg out? Was the tortoise too small to make an incision?

I would say refer to tortoisetable.org and other gardening sources to see what is available there in the UK. Stone crops, echeveria, and opunita cactus are generally good choices to plant and feed. Some tortoises need to be coaxed in order to get used to eating them. Mix a pellet or two of wet mazuri and give the succulents a light coating. That usually seems to work for me.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Hi, yes I think her levels were 330 and high end range is anywhere between 320 and 390 I think he said. It went back up quickly without the allopurinol given sadly. Apparently there is another drug that worked but they can no longer get it?
Interesting about the other drug...
The range my doctor gave me was in double digits so I wonder how these differ. The range is for Uric acid? I should take my guy in to get tested again and see what’s up. Does your tort have any swelling?