Thickness of wood for a vivarium

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
I'm building an extension for my cherryhead vivarium, it will be fairly large and I want it to last. I'm just not entirely sure on the thickness of wood I should use. I want to get it thinner if possible, not to save money and cut corners but to save on weight, if it's too heavy it will be a nightmare to move. The main bulk will be 40" wide by 20" deep by 40" high, but there will be another box off at a right angle making a second storey on top of the existing vivarium.

I was looking at 15mm external plywood, but can get 12mm to save weight or 20mm if it needs to be tougher. I will be treating each piece of wood with a non-toxic varnish to ensure its waterproof, then applying silicone to each join as its assembled. Once built I'll silicone every seam before treating the whole of the inside to several more coats of varnish, it will get very damp as I'm either going to use a misting system or a fogger.

Anyone built a vivarium and know the best thickness? Or a carpenter and have a good idea of the best material? Is an external plywood the right choice? Done a lot of reading but people use different things, everyone seems happy with the result but then I guess they would be, I just want to do the best I can so it lasts.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm building an extension for my cherryhead vivarium, it will be fairly large and I want it to last. I'm just not entirely sure on the thickness of wood I should use. I want to get it thinner if possible, not to save money and cut corners but to save on weight, if it's too heavy it will be a nightmare to move. The main bulk will be 40" wide by 20" deep by 40" high, but there will be another box off at a right angle making a second storey on top of the existing vivarium.

I was looking at 15mm external plywood, but can get 12mm to save weight or 20mm if it needs to be tougher. I will be treating each piece of wood with a non-toxic varnish to ensure its waterproof, then applying silicone to each join as its assembled. Once built I'll silicone every seam before treating the whole of the inside to several more coats of varnish, it will get very damp as I'm either going to use a misting system or a fogger.

Anyone built a vivarium and know the best thickness? Or a carpenter and have a good idea of the best material? Is an external plywood the right choice? Done a lot of reading but people use different things, everyone seems happy with the result but then I guess they would be, I just want to do the best I can so it lasts.
Bought Vivs are made of 18mm. You can also use marine plywood instead of plywood. But if your varnishing and sealing it I don't think it will matter which you use. I'm thinking 12mm is too flimsy.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Thanks, I thought it probably would be a bit on the wobbly side using 12mm, I will go for 18mm, that way I shouldn't have to start again next year! I'll look at the price differences, if marine ply isn't going to cost much more I will use that, extra extra waterproof then :)

Any negatives to using perspex instead of glass? As well as being easier to work with and a bit safer (even safety glass can chip and break I guess) I wondered if it would help a teeny bit with heating as it isn't naturally as cold as glass. I'm going to have a lot of clear panels to get plenty of natural light in, not just 2 sliding panels at the front. I can use glass if there are practical reasons, just thought Perspex may be easier as if I got sizes wrong I could trim it myself. I wasn't sure if perspex will most up more or less than glass. I think installing double glazing is a little extreme in a vivarium, although I admit I did consider it for 12 seconds :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks, I thought it probably would be a bit on the wobbly side using 12mm, I will go for 18mm, that way I shouldn't have to start again next year! I'll look at the price differences, if marine ply isn't going to cost much more I will use that, extra extra waterproof then :)

Any negatives to using perspex instead of glass? As well as being easier to work with and a bit safer (even safety glass can chip and break I guess) I wondered if it would help a teeny bit with heating as it isn't naturally as cold as glass. I'm going to have a lot of clear panels to get plenty of natural light in, not just 2 sliding panels at the front. I can use glass if there are practical reasons, just thought Perspex may be easier as if I got sizes wrong I could trim it myself. I wasn't sure if perspex will most up more or less than glass. I think installing double glazing is a little extreme in a vivarium, although I admit I did consider it for 12 seconds :D
Someone else may have more answers. The one thing with plastics is when cleaning it scratches occur over time. Small scratches can hold bacteria. Well it does in the wine making hobby:D. So that may be something to think about. At least don't clean persex with anything abrasive.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I should have added. I use perspex for the lids of my tort tables. When I clean them I use a soft sponge. I wasn't suggesting don't use it. Loads of people use plastic tubs for enclosures.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
I should have added. I use perspex for the lids of my tort tables. When I clean them I use a soft sponge. I wasn't suggesting don't use it. Loads of people use plastic tubs for enclosures.

It makes sense, I hadn't considered scratching. I will probably go with glass :)