Think about getting a few bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky43

5 Year Member
I currently have 2 Russian tortoises, but my fiancé really fell in love with them and now they are pretty much his hobby . So I'm looking for a new one and I'm thinking a lizard may be the way to go. I was thinking beardie because from the research I have done they would be best for a beginner. That being said I'm looking for any tips on breeders, enclosures, bloodlines, colors or any other advice you have to offer about them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Beardies are cool, but I think blue tongue skinks are even better as pets, and easier to keep too.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Blue tongues skinks are awesome. Panther Chameleons are personally my favorite lizard and a close second are gargoyle geckos. But both species aren't the greatest for a lizard you're going to want to handle all the time. Beardies are cool I guess, I never really was a big fan. Their bowel movements absolutely reek too. when I rescued a large adult male, everyday I'd get home from work and whole reptile room would reek of bearded dragon crap. Maybe it was all the different stuff I was feeding who knows but that turned me off of them.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379305601.495264.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DevilsLettuce said:
Blue tongues skinks are awesome. Panther Chameleons are personally my favorite lizard and a close second are gargoyle geckos. But both species aren't the greatest for a lizard you're going to want to handle all the time. Beardies are cool I guess, I never really was a big fan. Their bowel movements absolutely reek too. when I rescued a large adult male, everyday I'd get home from work and whole reptile room would reek of bearded dragon crap. Maybe it was all the different stuff I was feeding who knows but that turned me off of them.

I have had the same observation with beardie poop. Why does it smell so bad when other animals are eating the same foods and pooping right next to them without all that smell? It's kinda weird, but yeah, their feces really stinks compared to other lizards, and they seem to poop a lot too.

I don't want it to sound like I'm discouraging the bearded dragon thing... Just sharing some observations. They are really great lizards. These are just some things to be aware of is all.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Beardie poop doesn't stink at all...of they only poop in the bathtub, like mine does! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kameo37 said:
Beardie poop doesn't stink at all...of they only poop in the bathtub, like mine does! ;)

Yeah right! I'll bet your whole family knows when its beardie in the bath time, without you ever telling them! :p :p :p

Kameo37

5 Year Member
No, I'm dead serious. There is no smell. It goes right down the drain.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I was babysitting a bearded dragon a few months ago. He rarely pooped in his cage because he was soaked every morning, and poop was just flushed down the sink which he soaks in. Poop in the cage didn't smell too bad since it was a juvenile.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

If you want something for a beginner, crested geckos are hands down the easiest reptile to care for.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
I was babysitting a bearded dragon a few months ago. He rarely pooped in his cage because he was soaked every morning, and poop was just flushed down the sink which he soaks in. Poop in the cage didn't smell too bad since it was a juvenile.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

If you want something for a beginner, crested geckos are hands down the easiest reptile to care for.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

I think leopard geckos are easier than crested but that's just me...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sharky43, Please steer us back on topic. Is this discussion at all helpful? Or should we just be discussing beardies here?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Good point, Tom! I went back and reread the original post and here are my tips:

-I don't consider a beardie a "beginner" lizard bc of space requirements, start up equipment, diet and other general finicky-ness.

- Babies are much less hardy and eat waaay more insects than adults, as well as eating more frequently. I would ALWAYS recommend an adult beardie or juvie over a baby.

-If you are willing to commit to all of the requirements, you're in luck! There are TONS of adult beardies on Craigslist! They are usually cheap, come with at least some part of the enclosure (or at least a temporary one) and they are usually in desperate need of an attentive, reptile-loving home! Just like with tortoises, people think babies are cute and don't take up much space and won't eat them out of house and home...or they buy them for their kids who forget about them.

I can give you the quick and dirty on enclosures:
- adults need at least a 4×2×18.
-need heat lamp AND UVB source. Preferably a reptisun 10.0 which runs 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the enclosure.
- some sort of substrate...I like slate tile.
- basking area...could be a branch, bricks, diy fake rock, etc.
- food bowls

They need baths. They need sunshine. They need insects and veggies.

You can find loads of info on www.beardeddragon.org

theelectraco

5 Year Member
DevilsLettuce said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

I think leopard geckos are easier than crested but that's just me...

Crested geckos require no lighting or heating in most conditions and only require live food seldomly as treats. Their only maintenance is misting and a new bowl of CGD.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Leopard geckos need heat, not uv. Providing heat is less than a pain than that paste.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Making their food is much more convenient to me then buying crickets every few days or breeding feeders.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

sharky43

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your replies! I want to hear your reasonings for how they are easier. I'm really just trying to find the best fit lizard for me I'm not set on beardies.

So geckos sound pretty easy, what about camelions and skinks ?

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Skinks ya, but chameleons aren't easy

theelectraco said:
Making their food is much more convenient to me then buying crickets every few days or breeding feeders.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

If I didn't have other critters that needed live food and didn't get them shipped to my house every week then I would agree with you

theelectraco

5 Year Member
sharky43 said:
Thank you all for your replies! I want to hear your reasonings for how they are easier. I'm really just trying to find the best fit lizard for me I'm not set on beardies.

So geckos sound pretty easy, what about camelions and skinks ?

I definitely wouldn't recommend a chameleon.

It depends on the type of pet you're looking for. Do you want one that you can handle often or one that you only handle seldomly. Beardies and Leo's are good of you want something to handle on a regular basis but crested geckos and chameleons shouldn't be handled frequently.

I would love a bearded dragon, but I don't have the space or time to upkeep them with all my other pets.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

sharky43

5 Year Member
I definitely want something I can frequently handle, I also want something that Is somewhat easy to breed, in case the day comes that I decide to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.