Think about getting a few bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I think beardies are one of the easiest lizards and a great beginner lizard if you get them atleast 12in long.
I currently have 3 beardies one is an adult and doesnt eat at the moment so here care is really easy. Turn lights on, fill water, turn lights off. (she thinks its brumation time)
and 2 babies that I have had since they were 3inches long and they have cost me sooooooooo much money in bugs! They were each eating 200-300 small bugs a day. I went through 2 roach colonies, thousands and thousands of crickets, and untold number of other bugs. I spent an easy 200 a week on their food.
Now that they are 12in they are eating salad, pellets and only 40-60 large bugs a day so its much more manageable.
These are very friendly lizards. My babies are a bit too hyper to have out for long but my adult female is really chill and likes to hang out. In fact she likes to sit at the table as I do my homework or play legos or cards.
for care requirements: a 4x2x2 enclosure, slate tile, climbing log of some sort, heat and uvb (I use an MVB bulb so that it is cheaper), water bowl, and daily poop cleanup. Also only one lizard per cage please as they dont get along with each other much.

leopard geckos are easier than beardies. They need a 20g long, tile is a good substrate, 2 hides atleast one on the cool side and the warm hide can double as a humid hide as well, heatpad is best for these guys (on a rheostat), bowl of plain calcium available at all times, they can eat crickets and mealworms (no salads only bugs), and a water dish.
These are nocturnal species and as such dont need any lighting, in fact uvb exposure has been known to damage their eyes.
These are friendly and tame lizards that are also easy to breed. If you are careful about the gender ratio you can have small groups together but you would need a larger cage.

I dont think skinks are as easy due to complicated diets, and are more skittish as a whole (takes longer to get them used to people) but their cage setup is easier than a beardie.

sharky43

5 Year Member
@thalatte thank you so much your reply was very informative and helpful I'm going to look into geckos a little more before I decide.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
No problem glad I could help! Let me know of you have any more questions.

sharky43

5 Year Member
Do you have any recommendations of where to purchase healthy lizards?

Do you have any recommendations of where to purchase healthy lizards?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
depends on the types. For geckos there are tons of breeders that you could get them through.
Moon valley reptiles is great for crested geckos.
for other geckos try urban geckos.

Status
Not open for further replies.