Think baby sullys have shell Fungus/Rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seegie

5 Year Member
Hi. I think my two sulcatas have shell fungus/rot?? It seems to be only on the outer edge of their shell?? It's white and dry. If it is, what tx should I start?
Sulcata Tortoises DOB 5-27-2013 001.sml.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's not shell rot. Shell rot typically occurs on the plastron. Sulcatas almost never get shell rot.

Yours looks like it has calcium powder residue or hard water stains.

Seegie

5 Year Member
Tom said:
That's not shell rot. Shell rot typically occurs on the plastron. Sulcatas almost never get shell rot.

Yours looks like it has calcium powder residue or hard water stains.

Well, that's a relief. My hubby thought the same thing. But I needed to make sure. Is there anything I can for it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I collect rainwater, filter it and store it in 5 gallon water jugs. I use this water for daily shell sprayings and I rinse them with it after their soaks in regular water. I suppose you could use distilled water the same way. Rinsing them with mineral free water, keeps the hard water stains from forming. But don't use distilled for drinking or soaking.

Seegie

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I collect rainwater, filter it and store it in 5 gallon water jugs. I use this water for daily shell sprayings and I rinse them with it after their soaks in regular water. I suppose you could use distilled water the same way. Rinsing them with mineral free water, keeps the hard water stains from forming. But don't use distilled for drinking or soaking.

Kind of ironic you about rain water...gotta a massive thunderstorm heading our way. time to collect water :) Thank you kindly for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.