Thinking about a russian tort

Vaygapawz

Soaking the tortoise is good. Going outside into a large proper secure enclosure during fair weather is excellent. Going outside to run around loose in the yard, is not a good idea.

With the questions you are asking about interaction with your tortoise, a greek or pancake would not be my first recommendation. Both species have a general reputation for shyness in comparison to others.

Not to worry, my tort will be in an enclosure when outside and supervised by me. That's interesting you say that Greeks tend to be shy, I've heard quite the opposite! Which species tend to be more outgoing and friendly?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not to worry, my tort will be in an enclosure when outside and supervised by me. That's interesting you say that Greeks tend to be shy, I've heard quite the opposite! Which species tend to be more outgoing and friendly?

Russians, eastern hermanni, sulcatas, South African Leopards, Burmese stars, red foots...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Supervising your tortoise in an outdoor enclosure is a lot more work than you'd suppose. It ends up either with the tortoise not getting enough time outdoors, or with the animal disappearing. Make an escape proof pen. You still have the option of leaving it out on nice nights or bringing it in. Do yourself and the tortoise a favor by providing at least a secure play pen so your attention can wander and he can bask & graze.

Vaygapawz

So I've been thinking a lot, and I am going to build a multilevel 5x3 for the indoor enclosure and I will make an outdoor enclosure most likely of similar size. My only problem with the outdoor enclosure is dogs. And birds. If anyone on here owns a boxer, you know what I mean when I say that she will destroy anything. Bird proofing the cage is easily fixed by putting a top on the enclosure, but how can I ensure that my dog won't get in the cage?

Vaygapawz

2x4s, welded wire, hinges and latches. Training and supervision too.

That sounds like a good plan, nice and simple. My dog is scared of almost everything, but she might dig at the enclosure and bark at it. Will definitely be giving her some training!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Tortoises have personalities.
No doubt about it.
Many Greeks are shy and retiring, but my Tidgy is outgoing, curious and affectionate.
There are exceptions to every rule.