Thinking of getting a tortoise-- what type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I know there are lots of "which tortoise should I get?" threads and FAQs, and I've read a lot of those but still can't figure it out.

A couple months ago, I found a young 4-5" sulcata on my driveway and ended up buying lots of things (large plastic container, 2 lamps, halogen and MV bulbs, thermometers...) to take care of it. A couple weeks later, someone claimed it, which is fine because I don't think I was ready for a sulcata at that time. Now I think I'm ready for the right tortoise. The 3 types I'm debating are the sulcata (I'm more prepared now), leopard (like the sulcata, but smaller and more manageable), and Russian (can keep indoors full time).

The main reason I like the sulcata is because when young, it's small enough to keep indoors, but in several years when I have a house with a large backyard, it can roam freely and openly. The leopard tortoise is similar, but I feel its smaller size will buy me a little more time. It'll also eat less and be less expensive and to keep.

The Russian is tempting simply because I can potentially keep it indoors forever. I also love that it can be kept mostly near room temp with only 1 lamp to provide a hot basking site. However, I don't really like the way the Russian torts look. The babies are cute, but I think the adults are very plain looking. Based on appearance alone, I like the leopards the most.

Initial cost isn't a huge issue, but I know the difference in longterm cost between a large and a small species will be big. But I think space is a more important consideration. At what size (inches and years) is it OK to take a Russian outdoors fulltime, provided it has protection against predators? I live in Los Angeles, CA. I know that's great for leopards and sulcatas, but how is it for Russians?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Russian Torts are beautiful.....I think you must ha e had a typo :) it sounds like you have done your research and so now YOU have a decision LOL.....I was born in China Town Los Angeles...so I know how the descriptive typo could have taken place....

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I have leos and they are amazingly beautiful. Mine are pretty outgoing as well. I am totally addicted to leos! They are also less destructive than sulcatas. No digging burrows and things like that. Just speaking from what I have read about sulcatas, no personal experience. I vote leo all the way! :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
DocNezzy said:
I have leos and they are amazingly beautiful. Mine are pretty outgoing as well. I am totally addicted to leos! They are also less destructive than sulcatas. No digging burrows and things like that. Just speaking from what I have read about sulcatas, no personal experience. I vote leo all the way! :)

I love Russian tortoises and California Desert Tortoises

Carol:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I won 3 russians and love them, I also own a red foot CDT boxies sulcata and some RES, I would suggest the russian, great starter tortoise and with your land limitations right now, you don't need to get a tortoise that will get big and may not have the room for it, I would go for the russian, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would probably just go with a yearling russian since it is pretty much just a very well started baby and you can keep it inside when an adult. Russians will do great outside in LA year round. Russian sounds the best to me if you dont have the room for a sulcata or leopard when adults. When you do have enough room thats when I would get a leopard or sulcata.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Both the African savanna group (sulcata and leopard) and the Mediterranean Testudo group (Russian, Hermann, Greek, and marginated) tortoises do well in the relatively dry climate of the Southwest because there is a winter cool-down period, but it's mild. Being from farther north than any other tortoise, Russians can hibernate the longest (up to 5 months!), and can tolerate colder winters, but they don't require it. Sulcatas and leopards don't hibernate, so they would require heat over the winter (although some populations of leopard tortoises from higher elevations or from below the Tropic of Capricorn do have a short torpor period).

In the USA, if you want to be able to keep a terrestrial chelonian outdoors year round, you either need a native box turtle (omnivorous) or a Gopherus tortoise (in the southern states, with permit), or else a Testudo tortoise suited to the local climate. If you want a larger African sulcata or leopard tortoise, then that animal will need supplemental heat and housing during the winter. Living in southern California, all of the above would do well, so it's just up to you which you prefer, and which you think you can provide for. Good luck! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Just to be clear, you can potentially keep a tortoise strictly indoors. However, this is not the best situation for ANY tortoise. It would be like keeping a horse in a basement. It would survive, but it isn't the best environment or the kindest thing to do. It is my opinion that if you cannot devote at least 20 minutes, three times a week of outside time, you should not get a tortoise.

Another point, with a Sulcata, you are not going to have the years that you think you will before it is large enough to have to be outside. My Sulcata babies are just shy of six months old and already almost as big as my approx. ten year old Russians. There is another member that has a 4 year old Sulcata that is 19". If you take proper care of a Sulcata, it is going to grow, FAST.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
In the USA, if you want to be able to keep a terrestrial chelonian outdoors year round, you either need a native box turtle (omnivorous) or a Gopherus tortoise (in the southern states, with permit), or else a Testudo tortoise suited to the local climate. If you want a larger African sulcata or leopard tortoise, then that animal will need supplemental heat and housing during the winter. Living in southern California, all of the above would do well, so it's just up to you which you prefer, and which you think you can provide for. Good luck! :)

Can a Russian tort not be kept outdoors year-round in Southern CA? Or will it need supplemental heat or a basking site?

Also, the more I look into Hermann's and Greek tortoises, the more I like them. It looks like their care/temp requirements and size are similar to that of Russians, but I think they just look better. I like shells to be patterned and with high domes. I've read that Russians make good beginner torts; can the same be said about Greeks and Hermann's?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay here's my personal thoughts on this. A) The sulcata, I love these guys dearly, but until you actually have that yard, I advise not to get one. Life happens and you may not have that yard before your sulcata has outgrown inside living. B) The Russian, I agree with you, they are plain and in my opinion kinds ugly. That being said, I have like 10 of them. :p :D They are nice and pretty easy care tortoises. C) Leopards, I love these guys, but it seems a lot of folks have troubles with them. Plus adults lose some of the "pretty" factor I think.

That being said, since you mentioned the Hermanns, I would vote for them. They have pretty in a small and fairly hardy package.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Kristina said:
Just to be clear, you can potentially keep a tortoise strictly indoors. However, this is not the best situation for ANY tortoise. It would be like keeping a horse in a basement. It would survive, but it isn't the best environment or the kindest thing to do. It is my opinion that if you cannot devote at least 20 minutes, three times a week of outside time, you should not get a tortoise.

Another point, with a Sulcata, you are not going to have the years that you think you will before it is large enough to have to be outside. My Sulcata babies are just shy of six months old and already almost as big as my approx. ten year old Russians. There is another member that has a 4 year old Sulcata that is 19". If you take proper care of a Sulcata, it is going to grow, FAST.

Absolutely, DaveInLA, listen to Kristina...

Set up a nice outdoors enclosure and get a Hermann's (or some other European) tortoise...you'll never regret it. :cool:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I can't believe all you people hating on the Russians!!! ;) I love my four, each one is slightly different, and for everyone that says they love the personality of a Sulcata, well, my Russians are Sullies trapped in tiny packages!

However, I agree if you want something with more color, I would go with a Greek or Hermanns. Even my little Greek has some pretty white patterns on her shell.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Being in the genus Testudo, Russians are similar to Greeks and Hermanns, except that what they lack in patterning and shell shape, they make up for with adaptability and toughness.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
David...my suggestion to you is this:

Research whatever species you're interested in. Determine the amount of space you can devote to it. The fact that leopards are smaller than sulcatas doesn't mean they're less destructive...they can be! And they can have an attitude as well. A Russian maybe much easier to care for if space is limited...but then why not a Greek. For me...it's all about personality (the tortoise's, not the human's;))...I like sulcatas! In fact, I have 5 of them! If I had more space (and a lot more money...I'd have Galaps.

Hope this has helped rather than hindered:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
I can't believe all you people hating on the Russians!!! ;) I love my four, each one is slightly different, and for everyone that says they love the personality of a Sulcata, well, my Russians are Sullies trapped in tiny packages!
It's not hate, it's just they lack a lot of things that other species may have in more abundance. Russians are I think the hardiest tortoise out there for most keepers and especially new folks to the tortoise world. I know you say yours (and many folks agree with you) have the personality of the sulcata. None of mine do. From the wild caughts, to long term captives and to my own captive bred, mine are no where near the personality of my sulcatas or hingebacks for that matter.

When I saw my first Russinas years ago, I thought they were chubby looking and very plain and for me there was just no spark. It was many years later, when I came across a very old male in Petco, that I bought one. The Russians did help keep me sane trying to get my first Erosa group to eat, because the Russians are such little piggies.

There are some pretty ones out there and my friend, Shelly, has a large group of huge blonde ones which are very pretty.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Kristina said:

However, I agree if you want something with more color, I would go with a Greek or Hermanns. Even my little Greek has some pretty white patterns on her shell.

Russians have their charms...them's some tough little suckers, who've adapted to survive and thrive in the least desirable piece of real estate in the world!

If enough got lose in Texas, Arizona and/or Nevada, there's soon be as many running around as there are Burmese pythons in southern Florida! :p

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Southern California
Is the care of Greeks and Hermann's similar to that of Russians? Are they less resilient or harder to take care of than Russians?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DaveInLA said:
Is the care of Greeks and Hermann's similar to that of Russians? Are they less resilient or harder to take care of than Russians?

Not a lot of difference...all have very similar diets, temperature requirements and enclosure sizes...a few of the Greek ssps. are slightly more delicate and Russians are more "forgiving" in surviving mistakes, but only somewhat.

Eastern Hermann's, Iberian Greeks and Russians are "Common-sense" tortoises...and you've got a lot of good folks here who'll be glad to help you every step of the way. :cool:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Russians seem to be a bit less likely to pyramid than some of the other European torts. Other than that, care is pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.