thinking to breed indian star tortoise need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
hey guys,i saw like 8 Indian star tortoises in reptile store , so i am thinking to buy 2 males and 2 females to breed them , so i need some advise , currently i have 2 baby leopard tortoises,and i have 2 sulcata for 10 years.so i know the basic thing to take care tortoise.is it gonna be easy to breed star tortoise? and anything that i need to beware ?,please let me know ,thanks guys.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I've never breeder stars but I think the general rule would be to have a 3-1 ratio of females to males. 2 males competing over 2 females will probably cause problems.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
yeah i hear male tortoises will fight each other but i just read this page and they recommended 2+2 ,that is where i got the idea http://startortoises.net/breeding.html
Arizona Sulcata said:
I've never breeder stars but I think the general rule would be to have a 3-1 ratio of females to males. 2 males competing over 2 females will probably cause problems.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if it was easy... there would be more of them... not sure if they are easy to breed or not... they might require conditons we cant dupclicate? or maybe they have very small clutches?
???

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
What part of the world do you live in, and how old are the torts you are thinking about buying? Stars are awesome torts. Just like any other reptile, they will breed if you provide them all of the things they need.

Are these siblings? I always hesitate to buy an entire group from one source because I don't want to have only one bloodline to work with. I would never discourage anyone from attempting to breed stars, but if you have the means to acquire a group of them, it might be better to get them from multiple sources.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I believe Neal here on the forum breeds Indian Stars, perhaps send him a PM for advise. I myself would love to get into the Sri Lankan Stars. Not going to happen for a very long time but that's my ultimate tortoise goal. Haha

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. It depends on what size they are. Typically makes don't need any compitition with other males. Indians usually need to be around a minimum of 7-71/2" to lay. They need a nesting site at least 12" deep so they can dig and lay there eggs. What I do is keep my males separate and then put them together to let them breed. Females can stress if kept together with an aggressive male. Basically just keep them the way a star needs to be housed the male will take care of it. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi xXtortoiseloverXx:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

If you put male and female tortoises together, they will breed. But its not as easy as that. The female has to have the proper area in which to dig her nest and lay her eggs. That is hard, sometimes, to provide.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What part of the country/world are you in?

The Indian Star mating and egg laying season are very dependent on a monsoon season. In AZ, it's easy for us here because we have the summer monsoons. I have heard that indian stars kept in other parts of the country that don't experience this have a difficult time breeding them.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
JeffG said:
What part of the world do you live in, and how old are the torts you are thinking about buying? Stars are awesome torts. Just like any other reptile, they will breed if you provide them all of the things they need.

Are these siblings? I always hesitate to buy an entire group from one source because I don't want to have only one bloodline to work with. I would never discourage anyone from attempting to breed stars, but if you have the means to acquire a group of them, it might be better to get them from multiple sources.
I am live in USA Florida , weather here is hot in 4 season , I just bought them today 2male + 2 female , I think they are siblings , I would love to get from different source but I think it is very hard to find a young star tortoise here cause I never seen one before , and the reptile store told me that last star tortoise they got were 3 years ago.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Thanks guys I just got 2 males +2 females today I will post some pic tomorrow they are like 2 to 3 years old

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Neal said:
What part of the country/world are you in?

The Indian Star mating and egg laying season are very dependent on a monsoon season. In AZ, it's easy for us here because we have the summer monsoons. I have heard that indian stars kept in other parts of the country that don't experience this have a difficult time breeding them.
Monsoon , does that means I need to keep them outdoor ?

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thats small, its going to take a few years. I think its best to keep them outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.