This is a life and death kind of thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Dutton

Location (City and/or State)
Currently, Dallas, Tx.
Dear Readers-
Millie (my 28 month old Red Footed Tortoise) is about to be introduced to her first outdoor enclosure. Until now, she's spent most of her life in a 50 x 19 tank, with brief trips to the outdoors for random exercise. However, it's clearly time to establish a permanent place for her outside the house.
My questions are:
-Living in Texas it should be noted that there seems to be a considerable fire ant, and chigger population. I was told by one person that "Diatomaceous Earth" would be a good way to rid her enclosure of such pests. I was then told by another that the use of DE would be harmful or fatal to Millie. So I'm hoping to find out what's the real word on DE?
-Next, how large and how much broken shade should she be given. I know full sun has been recommended, but this is Texas we're talking about and for the most part, any living thing placed in "Full Sun" down here ends up dead. This is like 'Threshold of Hell' kind of heat, so again, what's the consensus on this topic.
-Finally, and this is much less of a "life and death" question. With proper care, how long do Red Foots live?
Okay, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for reading and a special thanks to any and everyone who responds.
-Graham

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Graham, and welcome to the Forum!

Your RF tortoise needs to be placed in a very well-planted yard. There can be spots of full sun, but for the most part, shade all over the tortoise's yard.

If you use food grade diatomaceous earth it is not harmful to your tortoise.

With good care your RF tortoise can be expected to live for 80 years or so.

Take a look at the Tortoise Library We have lots of good infor for you and your RF tortoise there.

Graham Dutton

Currently, Dallas, Tx.
Thanks Yvonne!

Yes, I was planning on placing the enclosure in about 60% shade, from a nearby pecan tree. And yes, I am planning on it being approximately 8' x 12' with between 8 and 12 large plants to offer her hiding places, as well as installing a burrough in one corner.

Food grade DE it shall be then.

-Cheers

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Graham and Millie.
Welcome to tortoise forum.
We have the most up to date and complete tortoise information on the net.
So you've come to the right place.
Good luck with you outdoor enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. As always Yvonne is spot on and quick to answer all life or death questions. Would love to see pictures of your Millie and set up.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Posting pics of Mellie would certainly helpthe experienced members (not me!) giving you the advice you need.

And welcome to the forum. You'll love it here!

Graham Dutton

Currently, Dallas, Tx.
First of all, thanks for all of your support. I'm a bit surprised to see so many responses so soon, and again I thank you all. As for the mentioned enclosure, I haven't broken ground as of yet, but instead I wanted to get all of my facts straight before I began, so I could be sure to do it properly. After all, Millie deserves it. haha... As for photos of my little girl; here she is doing what she does best. ...Devouring green leaf lettuce.
IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0084-1.JPG IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0089.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I used D/E initially, also. Then I sprayed (yes, I know) the areas outside the parimeter of the pens.
Now, I have no fire ants.
It is a somewhat slow process. My tip to you is do NOT feed any fruit or anything sweet while in the outdoors pen. Feed that in a separate location.
Greens don't attract ants.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I used D/E initially, also. Then I sprayed (yes, I know) the areas outside the parimeter of the pens.
Now, I have no fire ants.
It is a somewhat slow process. My tip to you is do NOT feed any fruit or anything sweet while in the outdoors pen. Feed that in a separate location.
Greens don't attract ants.

Here in the high desert/dry desert, ants go for the romaine here....cover the left overs and also will eventually cover the underside of the lettuce....just sharing is all...:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No kidding?!

Absolutely.....when I offer up and entire head of romaine to the CDTs here, who all reside outside when they are not brumating....the head usually is consumed in its entirety...which is fabulous as hydration is essential....ahh, I digress-- however, there is always one of the guys that leaves a little bit --the next morning when I go to leave a fresh head, I have to quickly chuck the piece out of the enclosure and do it straight away or else my hand will be full of ants that cover the left over piece.....then I offer the new head in a new location, never in the same--this way the tort has plenty of time to chow down on the new head.....

Status
Not open for further replies.