this never seems consensual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
This never seems consensual to me. I know in fence lizards the female will hop around and is clearly playing an active role in mating. Many other reptiles may be quite different also. But in my box turtles and greek tortoises, the female role seems to always be about escape, then submission. In this case, she did not submit, and he gave up after about two hours of chasing and biting at her carapace.
IMG_1341s.jpg

IMG_1345s.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is why my sweet and innocent Leopard's will never see the likes of a male!! They are not nice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...those silly boys.....such brutts .....total sweeties when their woohoos are not running the show :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
That female looks familiar, did she just arrive?
Yep, she's new, got her Wednesday. This female came up for sale in July, but she apparently sold right away. Something must have gone wrong, because she showed up for sale again Tuesday morning by the same guy. I didn't ask any questions about why, for fear of losing her.
This male has been pestering her ever since. I know male box turtles are supposed to be attracted only through sound and motion, but he definitely knows she's new. I don't blame him, she's a hottie! She isn't particularly active, but he's been ignoring other females and honing in entirely on her.
IMG_9297s.jpg

IMG_9302s.jpg

IMG_9291s.jpg

Steve

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the only one that comes to mind is Red Ear Sliders, they seem to be the nicest males around, they stroke the face and whisper sweet nothings ( I assume) in their ears.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Yeah...no dinner...no sweet talking...no slap on the toosh ....nothing...LOL:D

ha ha ha ................Dat was funny!

Great photos thanks for sharing !

JD~;)

"To easy too! " :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's got to be the prettiest box turtle ever. If you have babies are you going to sell them? I'm interested.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
That's got to be the prettiest box turtle ever. If you have babies are you going to sell them? I'm interested.

Ditto on that, she looks like an older gal. Should be a good egg layer.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Seems like the extent of agreement on the part of female boxies or torties is along the lines of, "Okay, okay, just stop nipping at me!"

JacksonR

5 Year Member
I have a female box turtle that seems to love it. *cough* with other turtles of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.