This took forever!! Russian tort enclosure

Casie A

Location (City and/or State)
Riverview
Hello! We finally finished the bunk bed loft for our Russian, Ducky! Well, mostly done! We have three hatches and a door. Using pothos and Swedish ivy to green it up. Any suggestions or improvements?

Attachments

• 20210905_143203.jpg
    20210905_143203.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG950487.jpg
    IMG950487.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210911_155028.jpg
    20210911_155028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. However the water dish needs to be changed for a clay saucer. That dish you have is a drowning hazzard.
Also you need substrate not carpet. Orchid bark is a good one. Also the sand needs to go. It causes impaction.

Casie A

Riverview
Also I don't see lights and heat. The mesh top will block a lot of the uvb. So try to put lights and heat under the top.
We are going to tackle the lighting and heating tomorrow. She is still in her 40 gallon tank for tonight. We have a fluorescent uvb we are going to put under the top. I was worried about putting the heat lamp inside it because I thought it would be too close. How far apart does the lamp need to be from her majesty, the Vampire Ducky? The mesh is about 13 inches from the floor. We will get rid of the sand mat, but the felt flooring was to somewhat protect the wood paneling underneath. (This is the top bunk of a bunk bed.) I have tons more reptibark substrate so I will add more. A portion of the area is going to be for topsoil in a boxy structure for her to dig around in. (I may have preemptively said it was finished, but I was happy to be that close.. ?) I appreciate the help and insight. We have had her about 3.5 weeks and I am so nervous I'm going to screw it up...

Attachments

• 20210903_172558.jpg
    20210903_172558.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1136(1).jpg
    IMG_1136(1).jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210826_095549.jpg
    20210826_095549.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 49

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think that will be too close if you put the heat under the mesh. Only the uvb really needs to not be blocked.
You could do away with the top if you have the sides where she can't get out.

Casie A

Riverview
I think that will be too close if you put the heat under the mesh. Only the uvb really needs to not be blocked.
You could do away with the top if you have the sides where she can't get out.
I wish we could do away with the top. She can't get out, but I have cats and I don't want them in there. So, I'm stuck with it. ?

I see your posts all over this site and I want to say thank you. I have learned a lot from advice you've given to other owners.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
We are going to tackle the lighting and heating tomorrow. She is still in her 40 gallon tank for tonight. We have a fluorescent uvb we are going to put under the top. I was worried about putting the heat lamp inside it because I thought it would be too close. How far apart does the lamp need to be from her majesty, the Vampire Ducky? The mesh is about 13 inches from the floor. We will get rid of the sand mat, but the felt flooring was to somewhat protect the wood paneling underneath. (This is the top bunk of a bunk bed.) I have tons more reptibark substrate so I will add more. A portion of the area is going to be for topsoil in a boxy structure for her to dig around in. (I may have preemptively said it was finished, but I was happy to be that close.. ?) I appreciate the help and insight. We have had her about 3.5 weeks and I am so nervous I'm going to screw it up...

What a beautiful happy little tortoise!
He looks very happy with you as parents!
And the BEST thing is that you are HERE
to get info on their care and husbandry.
You are doing a great job so far.
You can see it in Ducky’s face! ??
AS Wellington has mentioned….
The lights and heat…
Yea, they’re kinda…?….
Well….. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
If they are correct from the beginning you will avoid all of these problems :
1)- URI ‘s
2)- bone density problems
3)- pooping problems
4)- growth problems
5)- eye problems
God!!!!….. the list goes on and on!!!!!
Trust me!!… from experience…
Get the lighting corrected and live a happy life..?❤️

Casie A

Riverview
What a beautiful happy little tortoise!
He looks very happy with you as parents!
And the BEST thing is that you are HERE
to get info on their care and husbandry.
You are doing a great job so far.
You can see it in Ducky’s face! ??
AS Wellington has mentioned….
The lights and heat…
Yea, they’re kinda…?….
Well….. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
If they are correct from the beginning you will avoid all of these problems :
1)- URI ‘s
2)- bone density problems
3)- pooping problems
4)- growth problems
5)- eye problems
God!!!!….. the list goes on and on!!!!!
Trust me!!… from experience…
Get the lighting corrected and live a happy life..?❤️
We have added the heat lamp and thermometers and are actively installing the uvb.. the sand mat is gone and we will add more substrate when everything is done. My goal is to have her in it by tonight. I will send more pictures in a little bit!

Thank you! I definitely want my duckysaurus living her best life!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yea, the cats will get in it.
If you can't get enough heat, with the top on. You could cut a hole in it just big enough for the heating element to be over the hole and the fixture will cover the hole.
You are doing great and he's a lucky tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish we could do away with the top. She can't get out, but I have cats and I don't want them in there. So, I'm stuck with it. ?

I see your posts all over this site and I want to say thank you. I have learned a lot from advice you've given to other owners.
Thank you. I try.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
We have added the heat lamp and thermometers and are actively installing the uvb.. the sand mat is gone and we will add more substrate when everything is done. My goal is to have her in it by tonight. I will send more pictures in a little bit!

Thank you! I definitely want my duckysaurus living her best life!

I DO!!!!
I DO!!!!
That little monkey is sooo cute; when you DO get her in there tonight give her a little raspberry on her bum for meee!!!!!!??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
If you can't get enough heat, with the top on. You could cut a hole in it just big enough for the heating element to be over the hole and the fixture will cover the hole.

That’s what I just said in a PM to her!!
Wow!!!!
That’s GREAT that I knew that???
What’s next oh grasshopper? ?

See!!!!!
You guys rub off on us learners real good! ?
Now I am a smarty pants! ?
Thank you for all the WONDERFUL advice!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Or maybe ?….
Get one of those heat panels I am always hearing about???
It’s flat and you can mount that to the ceiling and it won’t burn her shell??
That’s for heat but as for lighting ….
???? Nothing to close that could burn her.

Casie A

Riverview
Thank you! We are in Florida, so she does go outside several times a day. For the heating in her loft, though, I have several lights I am going to work with to make sure she stays at her warmest on the warm side. That area is on the 2nd floor in direct sunlight so it stays warmer than the rest of the house. I work from home so I will be able to monitor it over the next couple days. Thank you!

Casie A

Riverview
Wow!!!!

See!!!!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
????

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
The enclosure is looking so good! In addition to the suggestions the others have made, I just wanted to give you a heads up that the UV can’t be mounted under the mesh because there isn’t enough depth to the enclosure. That will be way too dangerously close to the tortoise. Once you get the proper depth of substrate in there and take into account for the height of the tortoise, and the 2 inches or so that the fixture and bulb would hang down from the mesh, there’s just not enough distance between the tortoises shell and the bulb and it’ll cause some serious damage to her shell and eyes. Based on readings I get with my Solarmeter you’ll want to aim for the bottom of the fixture to be 16 to 18 inches from the floor of the enclosure. Because Ducky is a lucky little turd who lives in Florida (I’m so jealous ?) and can get outside time year round, you may want to skip the UV fixture all together. I believe I mentioned on your other thread, that as long as she’s getting an hour or 2 outside a few times a week, then her UV needs are being met. If she can be outside even more then that, then that is even better.

I worry about that felt. It’s going to get soiled very quickly and will hold moisture on the particle board or whatever the material is underneath it. I don’t know how you’d remove it to wash it without massive effort. If you want to protect the wood material, I’d put down thick plastic sheeting or a thick shower curtain liner. This way no moisture can get to the wood. If moisture is held under the felt, it’s going to mold and rot very quickly. Ducky would much prefer a nice thick layer (4 inches or so deep) of reptibark than the felt. She will be able to dig and burrow and it’ll make spot cleaning for you, much much easier. I know you already spoke about adding more substrate in this thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Little Ducky is a lucky Ducky for having you. It’s awesome to see so much effort being out into her care. You’re doing a great job!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is looking so good! In addition to the suggestions the others have made, I just wanted to give you a heads up that the UV can’t be mounted under the mesh because there isn’t enough depth to the enclosure. That will be way too dangerously close to the tortoise. Once you get the proper depth of substrate in there and take into account for the height of the tortoise, and the 2 inches or so that the fixture and bulb would hang down from the mesh, there’s just not enough distance between the tortoises shell and the bulb and it’ll cause some serious damage to her shell and eyes. Based on readings I get with my Solarmeter you’ll want to aim for the bottom of the fixture to be 16 to 18 inches from the floor of the enclosure. Because Ducky is a lucky little turd who lives in Florida (I’m so jealous ?) and can get outside time year round, you may want to skip the UV fixture all together. I believe I mentioned on your other thread, that as long as she’s getting an hour or 2 outside a few times a week, then her UV needs are being met. If she can be outside even more then that, then that is even better.

I worry about that felt. It’s going to get soiled very quickly and will hold moisture on the particle board or whatever the material is underneath it. I don’t know how you’d remove it to wash it without massive effort. If you want to protect the wood material, I’d put down thick plastic sheeting or a thick shower curtain liner. This way no moisture can get to the wood. If moisture is held under the felt, it’s going to mold and rot very quickly. Ducky would much prefer a nice thick layer (4 inches or so deep) of reptibark than the felt. She will be able to dig and burrow and it’ll make spot cleaning for you, much much easier. I know you already spoke about adding more substrate in this thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Little Ducky is a lucky Ducky for having you. It’s awesome to see so much effort being out into her care. You’re doing a great job!
Good catch. I missed that.
Yes, being in FL 2-4 times a week outside in natural sunlight will be enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow!!!!

See!!!!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Oh I feel sorry for you, if you are getting to close to my thinking. In fact anyone's on this forums could be dangerous. ??
BAHAHAHA