Thomas is One Year Old Today

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That size is remarkable for the age. And the shell colors are so rich and beautiful.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have decided to change Thomas's name to Tomi. That's something I don't usually do. I had a male sulcata named Sylvia and a female named Enoch (Donald's mother) and they both still have those names even though they are no longer here with me. Tomi is doing great and growing nicely, she has grown a little over 2 pounds in the last 2 months. Some pics from today.Picture 001.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 006.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY

Attachments

• D4ABAD4B-6947-4E19-ABF7-23023DFE668D.jpeg
    D4ABAD4B-6947-4E19-ABF7-23023DFE668D.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 15

nicoleann2214

NY
Who did you get Nova from? He looks great.
I actually bought him from a pet store, “Country max” I didn’t know anything about what to do for him or anything. Tom helped me out and I give him credit for the growth because without him he would’ve been in an open top enclosure. But he did excellent for a store bought baby tortoise.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I actually bought him from a pet store, “Country max” I didn’t know anything about what to do for him or anything. Tom helped me out and I give him credit for the growth because without him he would’ve been in an open top enclosure. But he did excellent for a store bought baby tortoise.
You've done a fine job raising him.

Virgina
Happy Birthday Thomas!

He looks great Len. Everyone seems to grow them faster than me. Even my own tortoises. Dean used to regularly get them to that size at 12 months. When I raise them, they only get 800-1000 by 12 months. Diet, hydration, temps and conditions always seem pretty similar. I've never been able to figure out the difference.
Maybe Sun exposure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe Sun exposure?
Mine get regular sunning, but the more they are outside the slower they grow. Ive done side-by-side experiments to verify this multiple times with multiple species. I've observed this in other people's tortoises in other parts of the county too, so climate doesn't matter either.

Virgina
Mine get regular sunning, but the more they are outside the slower they grow. Ive done side-by-side experiments to verify this multiple times with multiple species. I've observed this in other people's tortoises in other parts of the county too, so climate doesn't matter

I meant by the sun was exposure to the ability to make D3. I don't know where you are state wise but from October to February if your above Savannah Georgia humans are not making vitamin D when exposed to the sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I meant by the sun was exposure to the ability to make D3. I don't know where you are state wise but from October to February if your above Savannah Georgia humans are not making vitamin D when exposed to the sun.
They get sun, indoor UV and D3 supplementation in several ways.

Lack of sun or D3 would eventually cause MBD, not slower growth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see you've decided Thomas is now Tomi. Yeah, she certainly looks big enough to know for sure. And she's a beauty!