Thomas is Sick. (closed eyes, dehydrated)

HelpRussianThomas

Location (City and/or State)
South Atlanta GA (Tyrone)
Hi. Misty here.
My son has a Russian Tortoise and is away on a trip in the Northern Tier Wilderness so my daughter and I are taking care of Thomas. Son is out of contact.
Condition of Vivarium (I guess it’s called that) was poor. No lights were on it. It was dirty. I know that food and water aren’t given often enough.
We got him out and he didn’t want to open his eyes. Very lethargic. He had bubbles coming out of his mouth yesterday but that stopped after I cleared it and he’s more active than he was (barely active though)
We got new bulbs and replaced the lights. Put down new substrate and replaced food and water bowls. Have soaked him for 10 minutes each day x 2 days.Havent seen him eating.
Today i misted His shell and noticed a clear almost silverfish slithery buglike thing slide down from edge of shell to under it like it was trying to hide. I only saw that one time and my daughter thinks that my 45 year old eyes just saw water.
Also can you tell me if his eyes look sunken?
Nearest Reptile Vet 1.5 hours away.

35AE28F9-CDA7-432B-9517-60704E82CC81.jpeg E4BD741F-A850-4E41-AA8A-44FEB833C5FC.jpeg 6A5648B8-E336-46DA-99D3-24C7FB8C157F.jpeg

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yeah he does look dry, and I see puffiness around his face/neck. I would take him to the vet asap, he may need the antibiotic, if his lights were out for a while number of things could have taken place, and in bad/dirty environment like that infections are very common. Even if tough animals like torts. While waiting for a vet visit, soak him in WARM water (95-105F) for at least 30-45 min. Twice a day if you can. If not, at least daily, but be sure that wateris warm. I keep my temp gun by the bath tub and it’s easy even for my kids to tell if water is getting too cool for my torts. Thomas will need to be kept very warm 81-82F even 85F, and DO NOT let the temps in his enclosure drop below 80F. If he is not eating you can start carrot (gerber baby food) soaks, just add that to his bath. If container is bigger then you need more than 1 jar of the baby carrots, you know, to have some SUBSTANCE. He will absorb some nutrients and through his skin and his vent (the tail) and who knows he may even want to drink some. Do you see him pee/poo? I’m sending you PM right now. Check it, I’ll make myself available to you for questions until you get more advise here

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Thomas. Sounds like the best thing to happen to him was for your son to go on the trip!

Because of the bubbles and closed eyes, I'm going out on a limb and saying Thomas has a respiratory infection.

Pearly gave you good advice.

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
Guys Thomas died. We tried.
I am so sorry for your loss. It was too late for poor Thomas. That hurts me. I think you should speak with your son when he is back that it was his fault that the tortoise died.
He should feel sorry for the dead of an animal that could have overlived him.

HelpRussianThomas

South Atlanta GA (Tyrone)
@Bee62 Yes it’s sad. I will be talking with him after he gets back and can settle in. I’m pretty sure he’s gonna beat himself up on his own though. We have been telling him that this was going to happen. It’s not a pet that he asked for but he accepted Thomas and therefore was in charge of his care.
Thank you for your condolences.
I am so sorry for your loss. It was too late for poor Thomas. That hurts me. I think you should speak with your son when he is back that it was his fault that the tortoise died.
He should feel sorry for the dead of an animal that could have overlived him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry for Thomas :(

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m sorry that happened but it will be a good lesson for him. And maybe in the future you guys will want another. My tort is actually my sons. He’s real good at asking have you soaked Skurt yet, or what did he eat today, or how much does he weigh now? But not so good at helping lol.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I’m sorry that happened but it will be a good lesson for him. And maybe in the future you guys will want another. My tort is actually my sons. He’s real good at asking have you soaked Skurt yet, or what did he eat today, or how much does he weigh now? But not so good at helping lol.

Kids! Right?!! My RFs were originally supposed to be my then 10 yr old daughter’s (otherwise responsible and wise beyond her years!) what a life’s lesson for me at my ripe age of 49 that was!!!! Kids are ... KIDS! Misty, I hope you are feeling at peace. You have TRIED. Sending you and your sweet daughter hugs[emoji173]️

daniellenc

Maryland
Kids! Right?!! My RFs were originally supposed to be my then 10 yr old daughter’s (otherwise responsible and wise beyond her years!) what a life’s lesson for me at my ripe age of 49 that was!!!! Kids are ... KIDS! Misty, I hope you are feeling at peace. You have TRIED. Sending you and your sweet daughter hugs[emoji173]️
Mine are 17 and 14. Girl and boy. I make them change water and pick weeds but yeah other than that I do everything else. They’re kids and torts aren’t the easiest animals. They do feed the dog and scoop his poop lol.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is so tragic. So avoidable.
Sorry, little Thomas. RIP.