Those wonderful cockroaches

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here's my very first traumatic experience with cockroaches.
I was probably 4 and in preschool.
(Before my stint in Catholic school, even)
A candy filled pinata was bought into the class/group (a Mexican knock off Charlie Brown) and we drew straws or something to see who swings first, second, etc...
I drew 5th. I think.
Anyway, the frail and disorganized children in front of me, blindfolded, either missed the pinata all together or hit it with the anemic thud of 4 year old arm power.
Finally. My turn. I used an overhead AXE CHOP method and put all of my weight and mite into it.
That candy was coming out!
I hit it with such a great shot that I split it clean in half. Candy raining down all over me.... Children screaming in delight...
Until I removed my blindfold and found that I was covered in candy wrappers, a few bits of sticky candy, but mostly large COCKROACHES.
The children WERE screaming. But in horror and they were all running around the room.
Some of them got inside my shirt. Some flew and landed on other children. It was a lovely activity for sure.
And something I've never forgotten. Though I'd like to.
And I still hate Charlie Brown.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
This may depend on the kind of roaches you are seeing and ypur state regulations, but have you tried those pastes with fipronil or indoxacarb (Advion, Maxxforce)?
In France we use Goliath gel, it contains fipronil and I don’t understand why anyone bothers with anything else! It’s a baited contact poison with delayed action, so that it will poison the whole nest after poisoning a portion of the roaches. Takes two/four weeks to get rid of the problem.
You put little dots with a syringe in areas where they walk, they step in it and also ingest it. It’s bad for pets, so you have to apply it cleverly out of their reach and yours (inside cupboards or behind cupboards - sometimes you have to undo a few plinths). Since you have localised your infestation in the attic, you could maybe just apply it there?
It works for a year.
Paris is disgusting with roaches and everyone uses that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This may depend on the kind of roaches you are seeing and ypur state regulations, but have you tried those pastes with fipronil or indoxacarb (Advion, Maxxforce)?
In France we use Goliath gel, it contains fipronil and I don’t understand why anyone bothers with anything else! It’s a baited contact poison with delayed action, so that it will poison the whole nest after poisoning a portion of the roaches. Takes two/four weeks to get rid of the problem.
You put little dots with a syringe in areas where they walk, they step in it and also ingest it. It’s bad for pets, so you have to apply it cleverly out of their reach and yours (inside cupboards or behind cupboards - sometimes you have to undo a few plinths). Since you have localised your infestation in the attic, you could maybe just apply it there?
It works for a year.
Paris is disgusting with roaches and everyone uses that.
Yes.
Something like that is sold for the smaller German cockroaches.
Those live inside your house. Often infesting them.
These are the large American cockroaches that live outside the home, but occasionally enter.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Bugs just aren't cool in the house.
You earned your good husband badge ! Wear it well !
Have the wife make your favorite dinner !
Great post, loved the story !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok
Even if you like roaches like our friend @Tom
Check out THIS particular nightmare!
Last night I noticed that this light switch was only working intermittently. So today after my 5 hours at my part time job, I came home to replace the switch with a heavy duty Home Depot unit.
What I found was this pile of roach carcasses behind the switch.
This common wall had a small drain leak in it a few years ago. That I had to partially demolish a wall to replace the copper with PVC pipe.
That leak had attracted a colony of roaches into my attic that I battled for a long time. And had tried to forget about.
I haven't seen a live roach in the house for months.
But this horrible reminder of that war remained. And I'm guessing they may be behind several other light switches and outlets along that shared wall.
I'll have my shop vacuum ready and I'll not eat anything first on the day I decide to tackle that.
And it'll need to be a day my wife isn't home.
I'm NOT telling her about any of this.
Dee Scusting!

Attachments

• 20210628_143148.jpg
    20210628_143148.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok
Even if you like roaches like our friend @Tom
Check out THIS particular nightmare!
Last night I noticed that this light switch was only working intermittently. So today after my 5 hours at my part time job, I came home to replace the switch with a heavy duty Home Depot unit.
What I found was this pile of roach carcasses behind the switch.
This common wall had a small drain leak in it a few years ago. That I had to partially demolish a wall to replace the copper with PVC pipe.
That leak had attracted a colony of roaches into my attic that I battled for a long time. And had tried to forget about.
I haven't seen a live roach in the house for months.
But this horrible reminder of that war remained. And I'm guessing they may be behind several other light switches and outlets along that shared wall.
I'll have my shop vacuum ready and I'll not eat anything first on the day I decide to tackle that.
And it'll need to be a day my wife isn't home.
I'm NOT telling her about any of this.
Dee Scusting!
Question: Are we good enough friends for me to call you names? :)