Thoughts on Arcadia’s New Deep Heat Projector (DHP)

Minty82

Location (City and/or State)
Wiltshire
According to reptilecentre.com they have been discontinued. I looked at several other sites and they were all out of stock. Maybe they had some problems with the lights.

I have been speaking to John at Arcadia, they are still in use, I am finding a lot of reptile equipment is out of stock maybe people bought Thermostats , and basking bulbs along side toilet roll at the start of COVID.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Any updates from people that are still using the Arcadia deep heat projector?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I let this thread run it's course before asking this since I had no worthwhile comment on the light.

Can turtles see infrared light??

I have an infrared-coupled computerized night-vision solution that I use for another hobby and some animals can see it. Can turtles?

Educate me, please. Can they see outside of OUR ability?

Or, did I breeze through the thread so fast that I missed it?

jeff

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I let this thread run it's course before asking this since I had no worthwhile comment on the light.

Can turtles see infrared light??

I have an infrared-coupled computerized night-vision solution that I use for another hobby and some animals can see it. Can turtles?

Educate me, please. Can they see outside of OUR ability?

Or, did I breeze through the thread so fast that I missed it?

jeff

Hey there. I don’t think anyone mentioned (in this thread) what part of the spectrum turtles / torts actually see. ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey there. I don’t think anyone mentioned (in this thread) what part of the spectrum turtles / torts actually see. ?

I see some non-TFO info out there on this:

➡️ Tortoises can see the world in color, recognizing a full color spectrum from ultraviolet to red. They will usually be looking down directly in front of them as they walk throughout the day, whether they are navigating through their habitat or trying to find food.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseknowledge.com/do-tortoises-have-good-eyesight/

➡️ https://www.allturtles.com/turtle-eyes/

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Maybe @Markw84 can answer this one.
It is most generally believed that turtles and tortoises see Light in the 330nm - 700nm range, (mid UVA to red) based upon the makeup of their eyes. That means all the colors we see plus well into the UVA spectrum. humans see in the 400nm to 700nm range (violet to red). As far as the other end of the spectrum - IR - above 700nm, there is no evidence they actually see in these ranges. However, they are adapted to feel heat sources - which is IR. Many snakes have heat sensing pits that actually allows them a form of "seeing" the heat signature (IR radiation) of an object. Pit vipers, for example, use these pits to allow them to target warm-blooded prey in total darkness. There is no evidence or even theoretical basis to assume chelonians would have or need this ability.

David M.

Nevada
Bumping this thread to see what the consensus is after a bit. I'm new to tortoises and have been reading a ton, I'm using two of the Arcadia DHP as a basking light and ambient heat generation, but after reading some more it seems this may be a bad idea.

Minty82

Wiltshire
I have been using one in between two 150w floods to increase basking spot for a stunted sulcata i rehomed over a year ago.

Made massive improvements and very active in the U.K. winter , but truthfully this could be because I built a new insulated shed.

That said I do see him favouring it

Quixx66

Louisiana
Maybe @Tom has had some experience with this item. What do you think @Tom , do you see any applications where this new bulb would be good for tort keepers. Tks for your insight.
@HermanniChris has one in his Egyptian tortoise enclosure as he discusses in his new YouTube video. I’m wondering whether it’ll be safe for my Hermann’s enclosure or for other tortoises since they’re not from the desert like Egyptians.

Last edited: