Thoughts on best exposure for tortoise house

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am currently building a new outdoor enclosure for a new group of Burmese Stars. In the past with my Sulcatas and Leopards, I have always built their night hides facing east or south. However with this new enclosure, the easiest placement for esthetics and not overheating in the summer, would be one with the opening facing north.

Anyone have any opinions on this or do you feel it matters? Since I am building the whole enclosure its easy to make it the best possible now.

Thanks.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've also gone with a south or east placement for the opening, but for a short time I had a north facing opening for both stars and leopards. It did not appear to make a difference at all, but it was only for one season.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
For the past 3 years my sulcata's night box has faced Northwest. It sits under a patio cover so it really doesn't get much direct sun. I can't see that it has affected his behavior or growth.

Berkeley

Mark, in my experience I have found that the orientation of the houses/shelter doesn't really matter too much. That seems to agree with everyone else's statements as well.

--Berkeley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never worried about which way the doorway faced. I've always tried to give the shed the most shady area because our summers here are brutal.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I like the morning sun to hit the doorway, especially in the winter time. My tortoises don't seem to like to leave their night boxes until that happens. On cooler mornings, they also like to sun themselves at the doorway before venturing outside.