Thoughts on new russian burying itself constantly?

chuck21570

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hello everyone. I have read the sticky thread posted by Yvonne on this topic, but wanted to get some insights from all of you based on my specific situation.

We brought our new Russian home about 1 pm sunday. By 3, he had buried himself. He stayed buried until about 430 yesterday afternoon when I got him out to soak him (and to make sure he had not died), so over 24 hours.

He was back in his enclose by around 5:30. I set him down in front of his food, he ate, and buried himself by 6 and is still buried now 16 hours later.

Since this is all a new environment to him, and a more hectic environment than he is used to (I have a 7 year old and twin 6 year olds), is this him just getting comfortable in his new surroundings, and a "safety and security" thing? Or is it more likely the environment as suggested in the sticky thread?

I know Russians are supposedly an active group, and I have not seen that at all thus far, so if there is anything I can do to improve things for him, I would like to try to do that. In both instances, he has buried himself pretty close to the basking lamp, not on the cooler side of the enclosure, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I believe you said in previous post that he was a baby. If so, babies hide, most if not all of the day.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Also, tortoises aren't crazy about change... many will hide and/or refuse to eat and/or act strangely for weeks after a move, or even a change of enclosure.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A pic sure of your enclosure would give us a lot more clues about what might be happening there.

What are the four temps: Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
What type of heating, lighting and UV are you using?

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
This is a picture of the enclosure we are using right now. It is an exo-terra large reptarium which is 36x18x12. I know from my research this is not perfect, but it is temporary. We are getting ready to do renovations to our house, and when we do, my son moves to a bigger room, and when he gets his new room, Twiggles will get his new house.

Tom, you asked about the temps. Right now, I only have the 1 temp / humidity gauge. It is by the basking rock in the warm end. But I actually had a question for everyone, because I am not sure where exactly it should be placed to get accurate temps. Right now I have it where shown in the second picture I attached. Is that a good spot? Right now it is showing 90 degrees and 45% humidity. It is about 2-3 inches from the top of the 12 inch high enclosure so kind of close to the light, which I fear may be giving me a higher temperature read than closer to the slate rock.

209C80D6-EA57-479A-B62E-6B356A26AEB9.jpeg 88D70850-CAC4-46E6-B186-61172C3A142C.jpeg

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
And here are the lights I am using as someone asked.

Attachments

• D005DC53-A5AB-4C78-80A2-61A209773AE3.jpeg
    D005DC53-A5AB-4C78-80A2-61A209773AE3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
Good morning everyone. Did anyone get a chance to look at the pics I posted? Any thoughts on the enclosure set-up, or the lighting I am using? I had also asked about the height of my temperature / humidity gauge. I did find somewhere that said I probably had it too high, that it should be more at "shell height"? Would you all agree? Based on that, I did move it down, and as I expected, my temperature went down, but my humidity levels went up.

After seeing that, and reading some other threads on here, I am thinking I need to increase my lights from 5.0 UVB to 10.0 UVB, and go from a 50W basking bulb to a 75W basking bulb (after lowering the temperature gauge, it was coming in high 80's most of the time, sometimes going very low 90's. As a reminder, the enclosure I have is 12 inches high, but with substrate, the distance from light to my Russian is probably closer to 10".

Also, one last question (for now). I have also read in a couple of threads about how the mesh tops block out UV rays. Since the exo-terra terrarium I have has a stainless-steel based mesh top on this enclosure, would it make sense to cut small holes in the mesh, so more UV rays can get through? I still want the light enclosure to sit on top of the mesh, so I was thinking small enough holes so the light enclosure can still sit on the mesh, but big enough holes to let more good UV in. The manufacturers website says it lets the rays in, but manufacturers say a lot of things.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Good morning everyone. Did anyone get a chance to look at the pics I posted? Any thoughts on the enclosure set-up, or the lighting I am using? I had also asked about the height of my temperature / humidity gauge. I did find somewhere that said I probably had it too high, that it should be more at "shell height"? Would you all agree? Based on that, I did move it down, and as I expected, my temperature went down, but my humidity levels went up.

After seeing that, and reading some other threads on here, I am thinking I need to increase my lights from 5.0 UVB to 10.0 UVB, and go from a 50W basking bulb to a 75W basking bulb (after lowering the temperature gauge, it was coming in high 80's most of the time, sometimes going very low 90's. As a reminder, the enclosure I have is 12 inches high, but with substrate, the distance from light to my Russian is probably closer to 10".

Also, one last question (for now). I have also read in a couple of threads about how the mesh tops block out UV rays. Since the exo-terra terrarium I have has a stainless-steel based mesh top on this enclosure, would it make sense to cut small holes in the mesh, so more UV rays can get through? I still want the light enclosure to sit on top of the mesh, so I was thinking small enough holes so the light enclosure can still sit on the mesh, but big enough holes to let more good UV in. The manufacturers website says it lets the rays in, but manufacturers say a lot of things.
Hey there, I'm not a tortise girl. I have water turtles only for now. I don't know anything besides what I've read on here about tortises. But your enclosure looks good. As to humidity gauge I'd think at about shell height would be okay. And I think as long as he has everything he needs to strive water dirt hides warmth humidity he should be fine. How long have you had him? He might be hiding and hurrying himself cuz he's nervous if you haven't had him long. I just saw that you asked if anyone had looked at your pictures you posted. I think it looks good. Like every other baby tort enclosure I've seen on here so far. How long have you had the little fella ?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

Ok I think I see what your problem is here. That UVB coil bulb you are using is BAD. They cause eye problems for tortoises, so it could be that your baby is trying to escape it. You need to get rid of that asap. Try and get either a T8 12% tube or the best is a T5 HO tube but they are strong.

Your temperature gauge should be at tortoise level and should be around 95. Try and get a digital thermometer or an IR gun they are not expensive.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Ok I think I see what your problem is here. That UVB coil bulb you are using is BAD. They cause eye problems for tortoises, so it could be that your baby is trying to escape it. You need to get rid of that asap. Try and get either a T8 12% tube or the best is a T5 HO tube but they are strong.

Your temperature gauge should be at tortoise level and should be around 95. Try and get a digital thermometer or an IR gun they are not expensive.
Wow that was a very professional reply. I suppose after awhile of owning tortises you catch on and learn things.

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
Ugh, that is a coil bulb that I have???? I didn’t think that was a coil bulb. I kept on seeing people say that, but I thought THESE were coil bulbs. I will replace it tonight if that is the case.

upload_2019-8-29_15-12-25.pngupload_2019-8-29_15-12-25.jpeg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think they are the same thing.
Hopefully someone else will come in and confirm but I’m pretty sure they are the same thing.
Tube lights are so much better

xMario

Germany
And here are the lights I am using as someone asked.
I would change ur reptisun uvb bulb to a tube uvb light I personally prefer arcadia
And u should change ur 50 watt spot bulb to a normal incandescent bulb.

But as many said already it could likely be that hes just new and obviously a baby my sulcata dud hide for ages

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
Ugh, that is a coil bulb that I have???? I didn’t think that was a coil bulb. I kept on seeing people say that, but I thought THESE were coil bulbs. I will replace it tonight if that is the case.

View attachment 279595View attachment 279594
You are correct, this is a straight tube and exactly what I am using. Everything I have read says this is exactly correct.