Thoughts on sex, platynota?

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
I know it is too young/small at ~400grams, just asking for guesses, looking a bit female to me

PXL_20220518_120413376.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I also agree. Everything is pointing toward female so far. From my experience, males can begin flashing as early as a year old or about 200g.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really hope she doesnt beat up the males when time comes. This is that aggressive one I spoke of before.
I have seen zero aggression in males. After acquiring this species in 2013, I have only seen two instances of a female mounting another female. Those two instances are the only "aggression" I have ever seen with this species, so your experience is interesting. I'm eager to hear how things develop. I keep mine in two groups. 2.3 and 3.3 in an 8x32 foot and a 24x32 foot outdoor enclosure.

I could tell the sexes in mine at about 18-22 months old and I separated the males from the females as soon as I could tell. I didn't reintroduce them until the females had passed 3000 grams. I had hatchlings before they turned five years old.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I have seen zero aggression in males. After acquiring this species in 2013, I have only seen two instances of a female mounting another female. Those two instances are the only "aggression" I have ever seen with this species, so your experience is interesting. I'm eager to hear how things develop. I keep mine in two groups. 2.3 and 3.3 in an 8x32 foot and a 24x32 foot outdoor enclosure.

I could tell the sexes in mine at about 18-22 months old and I separated the males from the females as soon as I could tell. I didn't reintroduce them until the females had passed 3000 grams. I had hatchlings before they turned five years old.

By aggr4ssion I mean pushing and nipping, not mounting

Every attempt to house this probably female
with others has resulted in aggression. I've attempted cohousing with her 3 times, each time I tried to introduce her to 3 others (and each time a different 3). Also the only agression I've seen in platynota.

As soon as I can manage to get over covid (down from 251lbs two weeks ago, to 232lbs this morning, its beating me up a bit), I will finish their outdoor and greenhouse setups, and hopefully try another introduction in a much larger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
By aggr4ssion I mean pushing and nipping, not mounting

Every attempt to house this probably female
with others has resulted in aggression. I've attempted cohousing with her 3 times, each time I tried to introduce her to 3 others (and each time a different 3). Also the only agression I've seen in platynota.

As soon as I can manage to get over covid (down from 251lbs two weeks ago, to 232lbs this morning, its beating me up a bit), I will finish their outdoor and greenhouse setups, and hopefully try another introduction in a much larger enclosure.
Thanks for sharing the details. I'll be curious to see how the future attempts go.

I had a female sulcata that was like that years ago. She was a monster and attacked every other sulcata I tried to put her with. She was around 8 inches and @Yvonne G suggested that I put her in with the 5 adults. I did. She immediately went after the 60-80 pound adult females trying to assert her little 2 pound self, and they promptly ignored her and went about their business as if she wasn't there. She rounded a corner and found the big male resting in the shade and went straight at him. When he realized his dominance was being challenged he pile drove her about five feet in the dirt leaving a deep furrow. This made her close up shop, and then he went around behind her, sniffing and nudging the whole time. He finished up by mounting her and going to town for a couple of minutes. That was the last day I ever saw her show any aggression at all, and she later became a prolific breeder regularly laying clutches of 36 fertile eggs, with 44 eggs in one clutch being her record. 42 of those hatched.

I realize this won't work with playnota, but thought I'd share it anyway just for the sake of tortoise conversation.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Thanks for sharing the details. I'll be curious to see how the future attempts go.

I had a female sulcata that was like that years ago. She was a monster and attacked every other sulcata I tried to put her with. She was around 8 inches and @Yvonne G suggested that I put her in with the 5 adults. I did. She immediately went after the 60-80 pound adult females trying to assert her little 2 pound self, and they promptly ignored her and went about their business as if she wasn't there. She rounded a corner and found the big male resting in the shade and went straight at him. When he realized his dominance was being challenged he pile drove her about five feet in the dirt leaving a deep furrow. This made her close up shop, and then he went around behind her, sniffing and nudging the whole time. He finished up by mounting her and going to town for a couple of minutes. That was the last day I ever saw her show any aggression at all, and she later became a prolific breeder regularly laying clutches of 36 fertile eggs, with 44 eggs in one clutch being her record. 42 of those hatched.

I realize this won't work with playnota, but thought I'd share it anyway just for the sake of tortoise conversation.
We can try it, just need someone to send me some adults lololol