Three-Striped Mud Turtles: BOLD & PINSTRIPE

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I want to give a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to @Moozillion for all of her dietary detail on food for Jacques and Nelson. Specifically, THANK YOU for mentioning the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. Apparently that was about the only commercial diet that Jacques (who was extremely picky) would eat at least SOME of...

And now... SO WILL PINSTRIPE!!!!! :D

She even let me watch her eating them last time... and she came back for MORE! :D

YAAAAYYYY!!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]
So glad we could help!!!!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The Turtle Paparazzi snapped some pictures while Bold was basking... Snoozing again. :)

I'm not sure what to call this pose, but look at the positioning of her feet. Basking Flamingo?
WP_20190722_16_42_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20190722_16_42_26_Pro.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I was going to add a close-up of Bold's foot here, regarding the Cinderella comment... but my phone isn't cooperating right now. :(

I don't know where we would find glass slippers to fit her, anyway... :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Weights and Measurements

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2 & 11/16 inches (almost 2.75")
Weight: 73 grams

BOLD
SCL: 3 & 3/32 inches (almost 3 & 1/8")
Weight: 107 grams

Preliminary Analysis / Comments

Both turtles' SCL measurements increased SLIGHTLY in just over a week (9 days). Pinstripe grew 1/16 inch in SCL, and Bold grew 1/32 inch in SCL. If anything, I rounded DOWN on the measurements.

Bold's weight includes the "sample" she left in protest, while on the scale. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, Bold was acting pretty fierce the entire time I was holding her.

BOLD: Want to see how FAR I can REACH, and how HARD I can BITE?

ME: Um, NO.....

I fed them after I returned Bold (Pinstripe was first) to the tank. Maybe Bold was just hangry... :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Weights and Measurements

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2 & 11/16 inches (almost 2.75")
Weight: 73 grams

BOLD
SCL: 3 & 3/32 inches (almost 3 & 1/8")
Weight: 107 grams

Preliminary Analysis / Comments

Both turtles' SCL measurements increased SLIGHTLY in just over a week (9 days). Pinstripe grew 1/16 inch in SCL, and Bold grew 1/32 inch in SCL. If anything, I rounded DOWN on the measurements.

Bold's weight includes the "sample" she left in protest, while on the scale. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, Bold was acting pretty fierce the entire time I was holding her.

BOLD: Want to see how FAR I can REACH, and how HARD I can BITE?

ME: Um, NO.....

I fed them after I returned Bold (Pinstripe was first) to the tank. Maybe Bold was just hangry... :)
Ha Ha! Gosh, BOTH girls give you a challenge!!!!! :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Bold and Pinstripe have had some challenges the last few days, at least where basking in tandem is concerned. Long story short, they haven't worked out a good, easy way for them to bask on their artificial rock platform/hide at the same time.

This morning was better than their previous attempts...
wp_ss_20190729_0001.png
wp_ss_20190729_0002.png
That's Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There have been several pictures I have wanted to post here lately, but my phone is not playing nice with uploading to the forum from its "camera roll." The pictures in the previous post were a workaround.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Dietary Update
Since I started feeding the turtles Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets, Pinstripe has become just as enthusiastic about eating them as Bold has. I'm DELIGHTED to have Pinstripe eating a healthy commercial diet.

Of course, there's just ONE problem... TWO turtles eagerly eating pellets doubles the consumption rate. If you're familiar with the product, the only size bag you see in pet supply stores is on the small side to begin with... 2.61 oz. Considering the burn rate, it's quite expensive.

I'm going to have to step up on the turtles' non-pellet variety of food, just to offset the pricey pellets.

The only pellets my picky Pinstripe will eat.

At least now I know that she's getting the right balance of nutrients, which I was concerned about her not getting before.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bold and Pinstripe have had some challenges the last few days, at least where basking in tandem is concerned. Long story short, they haven't worked out a good, easy way for them to bask on their artificial rock platform/hide at the same time.

This morning was better than their previous attempts...
View attachment 277496
View attachment 277497
That's Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

HAHAHA!!!
I love that Pinstripe had her butt towards Bold!
And Bold looks totally blissed-out!!![emoji2][emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Dietary Update
Since I started feeding the turtles Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets, Pinstripe has become just as enthusiastic about eating them as Bold has. I'm DELIGHTED to have Pinstripe eating a healthy commercial diet.

Of course, there's just ONE problem... TWO turtles eagerly eating pellets doubles the consumption rate. If you're familiar with the product, the only size bag you see in pet supply stores is on the small side to begin with... 2.61 oz. Considering the burn rate, it's quite expensive.

I'm going to have to step up on the turtles' non-pellet variety of food, just to offset the pricey pellets.

The only pellets my picky Pinstripe will eat.

At least now I know that she's getting the right balance of nutrients, which I was concerned about her not getting before.

I feel your pain, Sistah!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
What lamp and bulb do you use?
We are currently using a Zoo Med PowerSun 100W UVB (flood light style) in the All Living Things (Petsmart brand) "equivalent" of Zoo Med's Deep Dome Mini fixture.

That is suspended over the black screen lid of the 20L tank by the Large size Zoo Med light stand. ($20 or less if you shop around and/or price match for the large size.)

We purchased the All Living Things brand fixture because that was what was available when we needed it. However, I am less than satisfied with it, because the PowerSun extends beyond the fixture (slightly).

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
This past weekend we took advantage of Petco's $1 a gallon sale / 50 percent off certain (Aqueon) open top tanks. The sale started on Saturday and runs through sometime in August. By the time we went on Sunday, they had already sold out of some tank sizes (until their next shipment).

We have two Petco stores in town, and we visited both. We got the last 40 breeder tank (50% off) they had in stock at the first store. Then we went to the other store in town to find the Imagitarium black metal screen lid in stock. I highly recommend that lid, by the way. It can withstand the weight of multiple cats, without flinching. "Sturdy" matters around our house. :p