Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I mentioned the online resource (linked above) because it took a really long time to find any reference (especially a credible reference) to Kinosternon baurii having barbels. There are some species of mud and musk turtles where the literature readily mentions barbels, and even how many sets there may be on individuals of a particular species.

Three-striped mud turtles are small to begin with, and Bold and Pinstripe are hatchlings, which makes them even smaller. I've been looking forward to them growing just so we can SEE MORE DETAIL (without a magnifying glass)!

So far, I have been able to distinguish a pair of barbels at the front of each turtle's chin. They have to be at just the right angle to spot their barbels, though. I'm beginning to wonder if there's another set of barbels more towards the neck of each turtle. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There are two Marimo moss balls in the mud turtle tank. One of them looks basically the same as when we got it and set the tank up.
WP_20190301_17_50_12_Pro.jpg
The other one is looking less LIKE a BALL and more like the turtles HAD a BALL with it.
WP_20190301_17_43_19_Pro.jpg
I even tried squishing and squeezing back together into its former lopsided ball shape. Not happening.
WP_20190301_17_43_23_Pro.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Meet the Foreman of our Tiny Turtle Marimo Moss Ball Demolition Crew...
View attachment 266260
PINSTRIPE says Hello and proudly shows off the tiny turtles' work.
View attachment 266261
I hear they offer significant discounts for TFO members on in-tank landscaping... ;)
Well done Pinstripe. When and if I ever get a turtle I will come ask for some interior design ideas for the tank. [emoji6]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I have to wonder if Pinstripe will grow out of that sweet little baby turtle face, as he/she gets older and larger. Pinstripe weighs a fraction of what Bold does right now.

Bold hasn't made any escape attempts since (before) we renovated their enclosure. So far, I have not come home to Bold trying to use the thermometer wire as a rope. Nor have I found Bold (or Pinstripe) on top of the filter / waterfall. Thank goodness.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have to wonder if Pinstripe will grow out of that sweet little baby turtle face, as he/she gets older and larger. Pinstripe weighs a fraction of what Bold does right now.

Bold hasn't made any escape attempts since (before) we renovated their enclosure. So far, I have not come home to Bold trying to use the thermometer wire as a rope. Nor have I found Bold (or Pinstripe) on top of the filter / waterfall. Thank goodness.
If they're anything like Jacques, they'll keep their coloring.
Her face is just as adorable now as it was when she was teeny- even better, I think, because her slightly large size makes her markings easier to see. :<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
And I have to say, AGAIN, what a FANTASTIC job your photographer does!!!!
Those photos are AMAZING!!!! :<3:

Then there's ME: my hubby is a professional photographer, but I have to practically twist his arm to get him to take a photo of Jacques or Elsa! :confused:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Must mean that they love their new place.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
And I have to say, AGAIN, what a FANTASTIC job your photographer does!!!!
Those photos are AMAZING!!!! :<3:

Then there's ME: my hubby is a professional photographer, but I have to practically twist his arm to get him to take a photo of Jacques or Elsa! :confused:
Well then make him earn his supper. So many photos for a plate of food. [emoji6]