Three-Striped Mud Turtles: BOLD & PINSTRIPE

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
And I have to say, AGAIN, what a FANTASTIC job your photographer does!!!!
Those photos are AMAZING!!!! :<3:

Then there's ME: my hubby is a professional photographer, but I have to practically twist his arm to get him to take a photo of Jacques or Elsa! :confused:
I agree, he is incredibly talented. I wouldn't have the patience to tweak the camera settings to get it just right. :)

Both turtles respond well to the photographer's sweet-talking. It gets their attention, and they usually come to the front of the tank. Sometimes the turtles are more cooperative than others.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Bold, in particular, WILL WORK FOR FOOD. They prefer when we pay in shrimp!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If they're anything like Jacques, they'll keep their coloring.
Her face is just as adorable now as it was when she was teeny- even better, I think, because her slightly large size makes her markings easier to see. :<3:
I love being able to see more and more detail as they grow. I am noticing the three stripes on the carapace less, especially on Bold. However, the markings on their skin - their faces and necks - I think are getting more vibrant and intricate.

Plus, I love bring able to see those tiny little barbels on their chins and necks! :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I love being able to see more and more detail as they grow. I am noticing the three stripes on the carapace less, especially on Bold. However, the markings on their skin - their faces and necks - I think are getting more vibrant and intricate.

Plus, I love bring able to see those tiny little barbels on their chins and necks! :D

YES!!! I think the little barbels are adorable! [emoji2]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I agree, he is incredibly talented. I wouldn't have the patience to tweak the camera settings to get it just right. :)

Both turtles respond well to the photographer's sweet-talking. It gets their attention, and they usually come to the front of the tank. Sometimes the turtles are more cooperative than others.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Bold, in particular, WILL WORK FOR FOOD. They prefer when we pay in shrimp!

Bold is no dummy!!![emoji38]

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm not even sure if I should call this a Marimo moss ball anymore.
WP_20190310_14_06_49_Pro.jpg
It's more of a loosely affiliated association of Marimo moss tufts with a turtle-made tunnel running through it. I'm finding tufts of moss all over the tank.
WP_20190310_14_06_31_Pro.jpg
I think that's Bold's foot in the picture, although someone didn't feel like smiling for the camera since they've already been fed. :rolleyes:

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I interrupted the tiny turtle landscaping (tank-scaping) activities this afternoon for SCL measuring and a weigh-in.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 1 & 19/32 inches
(almost 1 & 5/8")
Weight: 16 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 9/32 inches
(just over 2 & 1/4")
Weight: 40 grams

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm not even sure if I should call this a Marimo moss ball anymore.
View attachment 266944
It's more of a loosely affiliated association of Marimo moss tufts with a turtle-made tunnel running through it. I'm finding tufts of moss all over the tank.
View attachment 266943
I think that's Bold's foot in the picture, although someone didn't feel like smiling for the camera since they've already been fed. :rolleyes:

That’s GREAT!!!![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
So cool that they love it so much!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I interrupted the tiny turtle landscaping (tank-scaping) activities this afternoon for SCL measuring and a weigh-in.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 1 & 19/32 inches
(almost 1 & 5/8")
Weight: 16 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 9/32 inches
(just over 2 & 1/4")
Weight: 40 grams

WOW!!!! That’s quite a difference!!!
Are they clutch mates???

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Is there a possibility that Bold is bullying Pinstripe and getting most of the food??? [emoji19]
Before we set up the 20 long tank to be a more natural looking setup, Pinstripe and Bold were always housed and fed separately. The size difference was quite pronounced, even when they were separate.

I don't know the WHY, but I am fairly certain I know the HOW. Bold and Pinstripe could be a case study in turtle nutrition!

Pinstripe is largely unwilling to eat the various commercial turtle diet pellets we have tried to feed the mud turtles. If it doesn't wriggle or look like it used to, Pinstripe really isn't interested. It's rare when Pinstripe eats a pellet or two, but it does happen occasionally.

Bold, on the other hand, typically prefers food that doesn't fight back. Bold will pass up crickets and small superworms in favor of the Zoo Med hatchling and Omega One juvenile turtle pellets.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I've never worried about Bold's nutritional needs being met. If it were just Bold, I wouldn't worry about the UVB, because I have no doubt that Bold gets plenty of dietary D3 from the commercial diets.

Pinstripe has always been the one who concerns us, from a nutritional standpoint. The PowerSun 100W above the tank is really there because of Pinstripe, although I'm sure Bold benefits from it as well.

WP_20190304_21_48_22_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
We are trying to be creative to make sure Pinstripe gets all those necessary nutritional components to grow. Pinstripe has been growing more, possibly faster, in the new setup.

WP_20190304_21_48_27_Pro.jpg
Look at that face. Tough love is not an option for this one, at least not right now. Pinstripe has gotten really good at begging for shrimp, both dried (Zoo Med) and canned (Fluker's).

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Is there a possibility that Bold is bullying Pinstripe and getting most of the food??? [emoji19]
I watch the "Tiny Turtle Channel" (that's what the cats call it) a LOT to observe the interactions between the two turtles, both with and without food involved.

The tank is set up with multiple hides (each hide is essentially a tunnel), multiple basking areas (on top of the hides, plus the plants), and plenty of visual barriers.

They tend to stay out of each other's way, for the most part. If you give them food that is too large to eat all in one bite, the turtle grabs it and hurries off to a more remote, protected spot to eat it in peace. Both turtles do this. We usually feed them on opposite sides of the tank to prevent potential squabbling.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Before we set up the 20 long tank to be a more natural looking setup, Pinstripe and Bold were always housed and fed separately. The size difference was quite pronounced, even when they were separate.

I don't know the WHY, but I am fairly certain I know the HOW. Bold and Pinstripe could be a case study in turtle nutrition!

Pinstripe is largely unwilling to eat the various commercial turtle diet pellets we have tried to feed the mud turtles. If it doesn't wriggle or look like it used to, Pinstripe really isn't interested. It's rare when Pinstripe eats a pellet or two, but it does happen occasionally.

Bold, on the other hand, typically prefers food that doesn't fight back. Bold will pass up crickets and small superworms in favor of the Zoo Med hatchling and Omega One juvenile turtle pellets.

Great to hear!
And, having a very picky eater in Jacques, you have my sympathies trying to get Pinstripe to eat well!
[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've never worried about Bold's nutritional needs being met. If it were just Bold, I wouldn't worry about the UVB, because I have no doubt that Bold gets plenty of dietary D3 from the commercial diets.

Pinstripe has always been the one who concerns us, from a nutritional standpoint. The PowerSun 100W above the tank is really there because of Pinstripe, although I'm sure Bold benefits from it as well.

View attachment 267026
Pinstripe on the left, Bold on the right.

What a great job you’re doing!!!![emoji2]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
We are trying to be creative to make sure Pinstripe gets all those necessary nutritional components to grow. Pinstripe has been growing more, possibly faster, in the new setup.

View attachment 267030
Look at that face. Tough love is not an option for this one, at least not right now. Pinstripe has gotten really good at begging for shrimp, both dried (Zoo Med) and canned (Fluker's).

Oh, NO WAY could ANYONE do tough love having to see THAT little mug!!!
[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Bold is significantly larger, but Pinstripe is more scrappy. ;). I watch for signs of bullying, especially considering the difference in size. However, both turtles typically yield to each other and avoid conflict. They can get away from each other, which helps. We try to make sure they are well enough fed to curb potential food aggression. Bold can be a bit of a food thief, but I have also seen Pinstripe climb up the back of Bold's carapace to reach a piece of food floating in the water, over Bold's head.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I watch the "Tiny Turtle Channel" (that's what the cats call it) a LOT to observe the interactions between the two turtles, both with and without food involved.

The tank is set up with multiple hides (each hide is essentially a tunnel), multiple basking areas (on top of the hides, plus the plants), and plenty of visual barriers.

They tend to stay out of each other's way, for the most part. If you give them food that is too large to eat all in one bite, the turtle grabs it and hurries off to a more remote, protected spot to eat it in peace. Both turtles do this. We usually feed them on opposite sides of the tank to prevent potential squabbling.

Anne, I am SO impressed with how well you KNOW both turtles!!!
You’ve clearly done your homework, and then some!!!!! FABULOUS turtle parents!!!![emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️