Three-Striped Mud Turtles: BOLD & PINSTRIPE

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
They're both very good, but Pinstripe gets my vote!!!!:p:D
Pinstripe is beginning to show more signs of trouble-finding lately. Some of it may be protesting the pellets she would rather not eat.

Would you believe, it's PINSTRIPE who's trying to figure out how to climb up the artificial rock housing of the filter?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm going to have to make two turtles very unhappy with me in the near future. :(

Bold and Pinstripe REALLY like their artificial log hide. I REALLY like their artificial log hide. Problem is, there just isn't enough room for two growing turtles to get around their 20 long with all their tank furniture.

I'm paranoid about one of them (either of them) getting lodged between the furniture and the tank wall, or between two pieces of furniture, or whatever. So for now, one of the bigger pieces has to go. We've decided it needs to be the log that has to go because the log is not as tall as the artificial rock hide (the one we call Pride Rock).

As the turtles have been growing, I have been raising the water level, gradually. It is not a dramatic difference in water depth, but it is enough to cover most of the top of the log now, so it isn't as good for the turtles to haul out of the water and bask on, as it used to be.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Tuesday, June 4, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2 & 13/32 inches
Weight: 49 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 28/32 inches (2 & 7/8")
Weight: 79 grams

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Pinstripe: Um, Mom? Can you come here for a minute?
WP_20190611_11_39_57_Pro.jpg
Me: Sure, Pinstripe. What is it? I see you're getting used to the new tank furniture from last week.

Pinstripe: Yeah, now we have a TREE! Bold said that was important...

Anyway, um, Mom... Tell me if you see it.
WP_20190611_11_40_05_Pro.jpg
Me: See what?

Pinstripe (whispers): It's a UFO! :eek:
WP_20190611_11_40_09_Pro.jpg
Me: A UFO??

Pinstripe: Yes, a UFO... An Unidentified Floating Object!

Me: OH! THAT kind of UFO!

Pinstripe: It showed up this morning.

Me: Well, yes... I put it there... I thought you and Bold might like it. Do you think you could try it?
WP_20190611_11_40_11_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe: It's different. I guess that's okay. But what is it? And why is it here?

Me: It's called Banana. You can eat it. Really, you can eat it. What do you think?
WP_20190611_11_40_14_Pro.jpg
Pinstripe: Does it wriggle?

Me: ... :rolleyes:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 274486
Me: Sure, Pinstripe. What is it? I see you're getting used to the new tank furniture from last week.

View attachment 274487

View attachment 274488

Me: Well, yes... I put it there... I thought you and Bold might like it. Do you think you could try it?
View attachment 274489
Pinstripe: It's different. I guess that's okay. But what is it? And why is it here?

Me: It's called Banana. You can eat it. Really, you can eat it. What do you think?
View attachment 274490

[emoji23] Come on Pinstripe! Be adventurous. Just try a little bit!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 274486

View attachment 274487

View attachment 274488

View attachment 274489

View attachment 274490

Oh, this is HILARIOUS!!!! She really DOES look skeptical!!!!!!:)
LOVE IT!!!!!! :D:D:D:<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Pastel Tortie, I've been meaning to ask you: how deep is your water, and what filter do you use?
(I might MIGHT take GimpyCutie. But since he only has 3 legs, I want to make darn sure he can get around well in my 20 gal long).

And I TOTALLY ADORE your turtle set up!!!!!!:):<3::<3::<3::<3:
Bold and Pinstripe have absolutely nothing to complain about...except maybe banana UFOs (still giggling over that one!!!;))

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Pastel Tortie, I've been meaning to ask you: how deep is your water, and what filter do you use?
Thanks! I'm glad you like the setup!

The water level in Bold and Pinstripe's tank is currently around 5 inches deep, including about an inch of substrate.

The filter in their tank is a TetraFauna brand Decorative ReptoFilter. It claims to be "ideal for shallow water terrariums with 4-6 inches of water." It is a 90 GPH pump that "Filters up to 55-gallon shallow-water aquatic terrariums."

These aren't great pictures of the box, but maybe it would help with identification.
WP_20190618_08_37_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20190618_08_36_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20190618_08_36_07_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks! I'm glad you like the setup!

The water level in Bold and Pinstripe's tank is currently around 5 inches deep, including about an inch of substrate.

The filter in their tank is a TetraFauna brand Decorative ReptoFilter. It claims to be "ideal for shallow water terrariums with 4-6 inches of water." It is a 90 GPH pump that "Filters up to 55-gallon shallow-water aquatic terrariums."

These aren't great pictures of the box, but maybe it would help with identification.
View attachment 274914
View attachment 274915
View attachment 274916
Thanks!
I checked out the Reviews on Amazon, and there seems to be a fair amount of complaint about the power and quality of the pump and filter.
How is is working for you?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Thanks!
I checked out the Reviews on Amazon, and there seems to be a fair amount of complaint about the power and quality of the pump and filter.
How is is working for you?
Well, it isn't perfect. It does leave something to be desired. However, much of that is probably based on the design/type of unit: It's a self-contained unit, where the intake and output is in the same location in the tank.

The biggest problem I've experienced with it is that anacharis and moss strands get pulled in through the intake holes at the bottom. (On the bright side, that does prove that it circulates the water in the tank.) So I have to do some aquatic weeding / preventative maintenance on a daily basis.

Much of that issue would be mitigated by adhering small pieces of plastic canvas over each intake hole at the bottom of the unit. It's similar to what @Toddrickfl1 suggested about the egg crate to keep larger pieces of plant matter out of the filter.

The only reason I haven't affixed the plastic canvas over the intake holes is because it would have to be dry-docked for the adhesive to work and dry appropriately. I haven't wanted to dry everything out yet.

From a "bang for the buck" standpoint, there are probably better filters for the going cost of the unit. I picked up a couple of them on clearance when Drs. Foster and Smith cleaned out their reptile related inventory (over a year ago). I paid a fraction of the typical price.

I did like that this unit was completely self-contained, so their weren't any hoses or tubing going outside the tank. For us, that helped with cat mitigation (high priority around our house).

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A couple weeks or so ago, we upgraded the tank furniture in Bold and Pinstripe's 20 long. One of the things we did was to upsize the "Pride Rock" basking platform / hide. (We went up to the Large size.)

For the first several days, I was concerned that Bold and Pinstripe might be having difficulty getting onto the new platform to bask. They eventually set my mind at ease, and we have seen each turtle up there, basking, at least a few times.

However, this was a first for me... This afternoon.
WP_20190620_16_48_22_Pro.jpg
They're both up there, together. Quite unusual. I'm guessing there's safety in numbers. Either that, or they're trying to tweak each other...

...and fell asleep doing so!
wp_ss_20190620_0001.png
Yes, they BOTH fell asleep basking. Together.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
In case there's any question regarding the pictures of the two turtles basking together (asleep), Bold is in front, and Pinstripe is in back.

Bold's carapace is more brown than Pinstripe's carapace.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Weights and Measurements

Friday, June 21, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2.5 inches
Weight: 60 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 15/16 inches (almost 3")
Weight: 88 grams

Preliminary Analysis / Comments

Best guess, Bold and Pinstripe are hitting their first birthday (hatch date) around now.

Pinstripe finally hit the 2.5" SCL mark! :D
Bold likely hit the 2.5" SCL mark in early April.
Now, in late June, Bold is creeping closer and closer to the 3" SCL mark.

Growth-wise, Bold may be less than 3 months ahead of Pinstripe. I guess we'll have to wait and see how close Pinstripe is to 3" SCL toward the end of September.

Since mid-April...
Pinstripe has doubled in weight (from 30g to 60g) and grown 1/2" SCL.
Bold has gained not quite 30g during that time and grown about 3/8" SCL.

WP_20190621_10_39_40_Pro.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Pinstripe is beginning to show more signs of trouble-finding lately. Some of it may be protesting the pellets she would rather not eat.

Would you believe, it's PINSTRIPE who's trying to figure out how to climb up the artificial rock housing of the filter?
You've got to keep an eye on those quiet ones...they are the secret trouble-makers!!! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Weights and Measurements

Friday, June 21, 2019

PINSTRIPE
SCL: 2.5 inches
Weight: 60 grams

BOLD
SCL: 2 & 15/16 inches (almost 3")
Weight: 88 grams

Preliminary Analysis / Comments

Best guess, Bold and Pinstripe are hitting their first birthday (hatch date) around now.

Pinstripe finally hit the 2.5" SCL mark! :D
Bold likely hit the 2.5" SCL mark in early April.
Now, in late June, Bold is creeping closer and closer to the 3" SCL mark.

Growth-wise, Bold may be less than 3 months ahead of Pinstripe. I guess we'll have to wait and see how close Pinstripe is to 3" SCL toward the end of September.

Since mid-April...
Pinstripe has doubled in weight (from 30g to 60g) and grown 1/2" SCL.
Bold has gained not quite 30g during that time and grown about 3/8" SCL.

View attachment 275171
Interesting data- You do a VERY good job keeping up with that!
In comparison, I weighed and measured Nelson this morning, keeping in mind he is a different species. He's also just shy of 6 months old.
As of today, Nelson is the same LENGTH as Pinstripe: 2.5 inches!!!:cool:
But he weighs less: 44 grams. :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Interesting data- You do a VERY good job keeping up with that!
In comparison, I weighed and measured Nelson this morning, keeping in mind he is a different species. He's also just shy of 6 months old.
As of today, Nelson is the same LENGTH as Pinstripe: 2.5 inches!!!:cool:
But he weighs less: 44 grams. :)
Interesting. Maybe those egg-shaped mud turtle carapaces contain more mass and/or volume than Nelson's triangular carapace.