Three Toed Box Male with bloody liquid in shell

Brit6

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Paul
Does anyone happen to know what this might be? He hasn't fallen or been injured. He's been in an outdoor enclosure with ample fresh water and food. Been eating well; greens, crickets, worms, etc.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That does not look good. Looks like a symptom of septicemia. That is a bacterial infection of the blood. Needs antibiotics if still early enough. Needs to see a reptile vet.

@zovick - thoughts?

Brit6

Saint Paul
I sure will. Thanks for taking the time to look. I'll update after our appt.

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
That does not look good. Looks like a symptom of septicemia. That is a bacterial infection of the blood. Needs antibiotics if still early enough. Needs to see a reptile vet.

@zovick - thoughts?
Yes, I agree with Mark. The pooling of blood like that is one sign of septicemia. If caught early enough, it may be curable, but that may depend upon what the exact reason or cause for the problem is. If the animal's liver and kidneys are too far gone, it won't have a good prognosis. Is there any pink color to the skin around the neck or legs? Also, are those areas puffy at all?

Good luck. Let us know what the vet finds and what treatment is recommended, please.

KronksMom

Illinois
Make sure you mention to the vet that the tortoise lives with Russians (that's what I thought I read in your other post). Some things that are not dangerous to one species can be very dangerous to another, which is why we generally do not recommend housing multiple species together. I'm not sure if this could play a role, but better to give the vet all the info.

Brit6

Saint Paul
Make sure you mention to the vet that the tortoise lives with Russians (that's what I thought I read in your other post). Some things that are not dangerous to one species can be very dangerous to another, which is why we generally do not recommend housing multiple species together. I'm not sure if this could play a role, but better to give the vet all the info.
Thank you. However, I have since rehomed my Russians.

KronksMom

Illinois
I'd still mention it. Even if it's been a while. Better for the vet to have extra info that he can just say "oh no, it was xx months ago? that's too long to play a part in this," than run the risk that it could and he didn't have that information. Just what I would do if it were my animal.

Brit6

Saint Paul
I'd still mention it. Even if it's been a while. Better for the vet to have extra info that he can just say "oh no, it was xx months ago? that's too long to play a part in this," than run the risk that it could and he didn't have that information. Just what I would do if it were my animal.
Oh OK. Good to know. I appreciate your advice!!

Brit6

Saint Paul
Vet looked at Olive. Bacteria at the site. She is diagnosing it as an injury with opened area where an infection has occurred. He's being treated with chlorhexidine to wash plus Silver Sulfadiazine cream topically every day on the site and Ceftazidime injections (antibiotic) every 72 hours for 7 doses. I am not sure at all how he could have gotten injured there. I will be thoroughly investigating the enclosure before he returns outside. For now he will be an indoor turtle getting all the TLC I can give.

20200802_162608.jpg20200802_162615.jpg

Redwood City, CA, United States
Oh thank God. I was worried.
My baby arrived 6 years ago and immediately got sick. Id like to think from previous contact before shipment as he's a single child...lol... lucky for us there was an expert tortoise vet open way after hours when this first happened. He's healthy as a horse now but i tell ya...it aint easy getting meds down a turtles mouth not is it? Lol?Screenshot_2020-08-02-17-34-46(1).pngScreenshot_2020-08-02-17-34-37(1).pngScreenshot_2020-07-26-23-59-38(1).png

zovick

10 Year Member!
My baby arrived 6 years ago and immediately got sick. Id like to think from previous contact before shipment as he's a single child...lol... lucky for us there was an expert tortoise vet open way after hours when this first happened. He's healthy as a horse now but i tell ya...it aint easy getting meds down a turtles mouth not is it? Lol?View attachment 302101View attachment 302102View attachment 302103
Your tortoise is looking great now! Good job raising him after a tough start. Beautiful growth with no pyramiding, too.

Last edited:

Brit6

Saint Paul
My baby arrived 6 years ago and immediately got sick. Id like to think from previous contact before shipment as he's a single child...lol... lucky for us there was an expert tortoise vet open way after hours when this first happened. He's healthy as a horse now but i tell ya...it aint easy getting meds down a turtles mouth not is it? Lol?View attachment 302101View attachment 302102View attachment 302103
That's so great! He looks so healthy now. Well done. Thank goodness for prompt and knowledgeable vets!

KronksMom

Illinois
Brit, please keep us updated on how your little one does. I know antibiotics can be hard on them, but I'm hoping for as quick and pain free a recovery as is possible. What is his name?

Brit6

Saint Paul
Olive is doing well. He's eating again and on Amoxicillin after culturing the bacteria and finding it was resistant to the Ceftazidime. I'm still doing daily dressing changes on the site. Thank you for your concern!