Three toed hatchling on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Our three toed hatchling, adopted from Michael (shelledfriends), is arriving tomorrow! Can't wait. I will post pictures once the little one has arrived :). I have been doing lots of research on hatchling care, and Michael had been available to answer questions.

I've decided to go the 10 gallon aquarium route for the first year. Collected pill bugs and small snails yesterday. I'm going to try some creeping Jenny and veerigated fig in there too.

I also found this website to be extremely detailed in the care of hatchlings: http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

So excited!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Here's my progress on my hatchling indoor enclosure. I still need to add another thermometer. I have a hood with the option of having tube lights, 15 watts. But I'm not sure if its necessary if there's outside time.

I had a hide log but it takes up a lot of space. Does anyone know if hatchlings use hide logs?

Any suggestions are welcome! Pill bugs are already workin around. About to add two red winglets.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376351111.854278.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376351124.736871.jpg

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet lookin enclosure for sure! :D
Yes I would get it a hide log . They hide a lot when there babies .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Nice job. Yes, they'll use a hide, but with your setup, you really don't need one, there's plenty of places to hide.(Good luck finding him in there)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Uh oh... Ill need to be able to find him/her. Too many plants? should I take some of the moss out? Wasn't too sure.

Thank you for your help!! :)

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I wouldn't change anything. You'll see what works best for you after he arrives. I always raise a bunch together, and they tend to destroy their habitat very quickly. Your new one may not be destructive, and may hide in the same spot, and be easy to find......or....not.
txturtle13 said:
Thanks guys! Uh oh... Ill need to be able to find him/her. Too many plants? should I take some of the moss out? Wasn't too sure.

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Chuy has arrived, safe and sound! Adorable and healthy. I couldn't be any happier. Michael (shelledfriends) was awesome and so helpful.

We had Chuy delivered to my office so I could sign for the package. Brought large Tupperware with necessities, and a soak bowl. Waited the necessary time and had a nice soak. Now the little one just wants to watch me work! Curious little one. I can already tell Chuy has lots of personality. Glad I work in a quiet, clean environment. Can't wait to get Chuy home to his/her vivarium.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376408295.991914.jpg

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Thank you so much for your help! Ill have to see how it goes. Already seems to be quiet the curious fella. :)

yagyujubei said:
I wouldn't change anything. You'll see what works best for you after he arrives. I always raise a bunch together, and they tend to destroy their habitat very quickly. Your new one may not be destructive, and may hide in the same spot, and be easy to find......or....not.
txturtle13 said:

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Last edited by a moderator:

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Logged in to my computer for the first time... Noticed the ap has this labeled with a sad face :( I'm definitely NOT sad about my hatchling... Very excited and happy.. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.