three toed male maybe

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
north Texas
I have a question recieved a new male box turtle (three-toed) almost 7 inch long head looks three-toed it has three toes but it is large. I posted 6 picture 2 by it self,2 with eastern male that are a little over six inches, an one with a male three-toed that is about five inches and one with one foot. So the question is do you think he is gulf coast are just a large three-toed?

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 72
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 72
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 69
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 71
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 72
  • #7.jpg
    #7.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The shape of his shell certainly looks like it has gulf coast characteristics. And he is too large to be pure three toed I would think. I have a female three toed/gulf coast integrade. She is only 3 years old as of this month and is just over 6 inches and is 672 grams already. She has 4 toes on her hind feet as well. Both her parents had three toes on the back feet. But yours has the classic gulf coast shell shape.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Lisa nailed it. That turtle is by no means pure 3toed. It's a mix, if not mostly, gulf coast box turtle. If I knew the area it originated we could narrow it down.

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
north Texas
The person I got him from did not have his history he took him in on trade. The head looks like three-toed and has three toes on his rear feet but I think gulf coast or maybe intergrade. Is it common for gulf coast to have three toes?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, he is pretty! And not a three toed... I don't own any box turtles, but he sure doesn't look like it!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
He is definitely a good genetic mix. I highly suspect from the Louisiana or Mississippi south where the subspecies overlap. The reason I don't suspect Alabama or Florida area of intergrades is because of the amount of red in his head coloration. The further east you go the more yellow/oranges you see in intergrades head patterns vs the reddish colored heads in some intergrades from LA or MS

lutinorob

10 Year Member!
north Texas
Im thinking gulf coast intergrade with three toed. I think if was eastern mix the head should be wider. I dont know.