Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I'm humbly realizing that I might not have been as good of a tortoise keeper as I thought I was. I've always read all the books and tried to follow all the expert advice. I've always tried to keep up on new info and incorporate what I learn into better care for all of my animals. Events of the last few months have just really demonstrated that I wasn't doing all that great of a job in the not too distant past.

I've never lost a hatchling or any adult of any species, except in the rare case where they came to me so far gone, that nothing could save them. Even then, I was able to save most of them. In 1998 the thinking was low protein, high fiber diets for sulcatas, featuring lots of grass and weeds. Relatively low amounts of food and slow growth was also advocated. I did this and the result was seemingly healthy, but small adults, now 13 years later. The question is; how do you define "healthy"? They are alive. They've never been sick. They eat, drink, poop and are very active. They copulate frequently. They bask every day and move to their heated houses every night. Healthy, right?

One measure of just how healthy an animal is, is their ability to produce viable offspring. Sulcatas are known for their virility and how prolific they are. Here's where I feel like I've failed. In Jan. 2009, Delores, my lone adult female, laid 3 infertile eggs. I figured it was her first time and she was still small, around 17", and it would be better next year. In Jan. 2010 she laid 7 eggs and three turned out to be fertile. Better, but still way below average. Many people get 15 or 20 eggs for their first clutch out of 15" little females. Often with high fertility even that first time. They also usually get repeat clutches. Often 2-5 clutches per year. Mine was looking pretty sad in comparison. I joined this forum in Jan. 2010, just before Delores laid her second small clutch. I learned a ton of stuff and really enjoyed talking with people and sharing new info. I asked several forum members for their opinions at that time and even called Richard Fife at one members suggestion. The end result was a few tweaks in my routine. I added Mazuri twice a week to their diet. I increased calcium supplementation for the adults, especially Delores. I began feeding more. Much more. Mr. Cory kindly and generously started including me in his weekly produce runs to the wholesaler. He would buy enough for mine and his and refused to take any money for it. (Thanks again Cory!) I also planted a ton of stuff and found lots of new sources for safe weeds, flowers and mulberry leaves. I began soaking much more often and provided shallow in ground water tubs full time. (Thanks for the pizza dough tubs Cory!) I built them a new and much better tortoise house to keep them much warmer on cold nights and through the winter months. I increased their roaming and grazing time for exercise outside their pens on the whole five acre ranch. Mind you, they always had grass hay available, and still do, and ate lots of it. They got watered and soaked regularly, just not as much as now. They had adequate night heat, but it was just that. Adequate.

Fast forward, after one year of the new routine and WHAM! I've already got TWO clutches of 12 out of Delores. I suspect a third is on the way. We went from 3 to 7 to 24. What a difference a year makes. I don't know if its just one factor or some combo of all of them, but its clearly a big difference and demonstrates the difference between thriving and just surviving.

I started my 3 hatchlings in May with this new routine of lots of humidity, hydration and moisture and just a moderate, normal amount of food. They are growing faster than any other tortoises, I've ever raised in the past. Normally fast growth is frowned upon. But I'm not "powerfeeding" them. I'm not feeding them any more than I've ever fed most of the tortoises I've raised. My three adults were the first and only time I tried the reduced food method. These babies are growing quickly, but still very healthy AND smooth. They are clearly thriving and not just surviving. Same for my leopard babies and my monitor lizards too.

I made mistakes of ignorance in the past. I'm sure I'm making some now and will continue to make more in the future. I share this info in the hopes of inspiring others to never stop trying to learn. I'm hoping by pointing out what I did wrong, others can avoid making the same mistakes and having to learn "the hard way" as I have.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
Tom,

I really appreciate this last post. I'm not a breeder or anything, but it is my goal for my tortoise to thrive. I think that's the hardest part of having a tortoise for me, is wondering if she is thriving or merely surviving. Boy I wish they could talk sometimes :)
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on Delores :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awesome post Tom!! I appreciate everything you have said. You are AMAZING, and kind and always willing to help. Not to mention encouraging also!!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!! i love learning all that you have learned, and I even more love to learn them in real time with you!! :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Great post Tom,

I think this is something many keepers need to realize, there is a difference between surviving and thriving. Tortoises are actually very tough critters, designed to survive terrible conditions that will kill many other species.

It is quite possible that many of us "think" we are doing great by our torts, they're living, growing, copulating etc. , so it gets easy to get stuck in the rut of "why reinvent the wheel?", what I'm doing is working.

You had the low clutch rates to clue you in. What other cues are there for folks to look for to indicate their torts may not be thriving? This is were things get tough, opinions can be strong and established keepers often don't like to question what they know. Inactivity (pretty rocks)? Slow Growth? We've frequently heard it said that these are normal and desireable things. They certainly are NOT signs of thriving however.

LOL go figure
while I'm taking forever to type up a serious response the peanut gallery chimes in. Too Funny.

John

5 Year Member
excellent response balboa but just too clarify,the thread was meant more as a general husbandry thing regarding all species of chelonians were as the pretty rocks reference would only pertain too babcocker's. thanx john

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Tyler, where did you find that?

I think my daughters would LOVE to have necklaces like that. The oldest has decided she's going to be a "tortoise scientist".

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tom- Amen, brother!

I get frustrated by the 'good enough' thinking I see so often in many hobbies, not just tortoise keeping. Sure- if you do this regimen, the animal stays alive and looks pretty, but the REAL question is "are you getting good reproductive success?"

After all- when we get good, viable clutches of hatchlings is when we know we have figured out the 'secret' to keeping the more difficult species.

It is unfortunate that so many of us have to blunder around in the dark for a few years before these guys get big enough to breed. It would be nice to have some good guidelines to use to help us know we are on the right path. Growth charts, body weight ratios, etc. can help a little, but that does not ensure that every part of the animal is growing right and working perfectly.

If I may be so bold, it looks like you are suggesting...
1. GOOD WATER- Offer plenty of water, frequent soaks, well-designed soaking pans, etc.
2. GOOD HOUSING- Fresh air, plenty of room to roam, living plants to eat from freely. I would assume this also means plenty of hiding places as well.
3. GOOD FOOD- Plenty of wholesome foods with as much variety as possible, supplemented freely with nutritious 'outdoor' plants. Add a high-quality processed food for a significant portion of the meal, and supplement further with calcium*.
4. GOOD CLIMATE- Free access to high quality sunshine, as well as shade/hides. Good warmth and humidity.

Did I get it about right? Basically, what we have been suggesting, kicked up a few notches in the right directions.

I also think the essential difference between 'forced' growth and 'fast' but healthy growth is food choices. Put a ton of fatty, protein rich, high carb foods in front of a tortoise, and it will go to town- adding muscle, bone, nerves, hormones, etc. unevenly and in an unhealthy way. It is growing all right, and may even hit reproduction age earlier, but it is at a cost.

On the other hand, offer it the opportunity to eat a variety of foods that are generally low-fat, low animal protein, low-carb and high in fiber and good stuff, and you get a more balanced, natural growth. Probably faster than the wild animals, but most tortoises come from areas without a lot of food which is probably the main reason they grow so slowly naturally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... the peanut gallery. Show someone some gratitude and be made a laughing stock. Real nice fellas. Don't ask why, when you get yours...

Everyone else, thanks for the thoughtful responses. And yes, Mark, that's just about right. I'm still sussing out the details of "fast" growth in my head. Does anyone have data on the growth of sulcatas and leopards in the wild? I wonder what constitutes "fast" either healthy or otherwise.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Ahh... the peanut gallery. Show someone some gratitude and be made a laughing stock. Real nice fellas. Don't ask why, when you get yours...

Everyone else, thanks for the thoughtful responses. And yes, Mark, that's just about right. I'm still sussing out the details of "fast" growth in my head. Does anyone have data on the growth of sulcatas and leopards in the wild? I wonder what constitutes "fast" either healthy or otherwise.

I dont think you should even consider comparing growth rates of captive to wild torts. Wild torts have way to many variables to contend with that ours dont.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Madkins007 said:
Tom- Amen, brother!

I get frustrated by the 'good enough' thinking I see so often in many hobbies, not just tortoise keeping. Sure- if you do this regimen, the animal stays alive and looks pretty, but the REAL question is "are you getting good reproductive success?"

After all- when we get good, viable clutches of hatchlings is when we know we have figured out the 'secret' to keeping the more difficult species.

It is unfortunate that so many of us have to blunder around in the dark for a few years before these guys get big enough to breed. It would be nice to have some good guidelines to use to help us know we are on the right path. Growth charts, body weight ratios, etc. can help a little, but that does not ensure that every part of the animal is growing right and working perfectly.

If I may be so bold, it looks like you are suggesting...
1. GOOD WATER- Offer plenty of water, frequent soaks, well-designed soaking pans, etc.
2. GOOD HOUSING- Fresh air, plenty of room to roam, living plants to eat from freely. I would assume this also means plenty of hiding places as well.
3. GOOD FOOD- Plenty of wholesome foods with as much variety as possible, supplemented freely with nutritious 'outdoor' plants. Add a high-quality processed food for a significant portion of the meal, and supplement further with calcium*.
4. GOOD CLIMATE- Free access to high quality sunshine, as well as shade/hides. Good warmth and humidity.

Did I get it about right? Basically, what we have been suggesting, kicked up a few notches in the right directions.

I also think the essential difference between 'forced' growth and 'fast' but healthy growth is food choices. Put a ton of fatty, protein rich, high carb foods in front of a tortoise, and it will go to town- adding muscle, bone, nerves, hormones, etc. unevenly and in an unhealthy way. It is growing all right, and may even hit reproduction age earlier, but it is at a cost.

On the other hand, offer it the opportunity to eat a variety of foods that are generally low-fat, low animal protein, low-carb and high in fiber and good stuff, and you get a more balanced, natural growth. Probably faster than the wild animals, but most tortoises come from areas without a lot of food which is probably the main reason they grow so slowly naturally.
Interesting!

8wdw80.jpg

11hz0yc.jpg

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Nice post Tom. The "thriving vs surviving" debate is very important for all animal owners. Unfortunately I think it is a question which, all too often, pet owners are not willing to ask themselves. I have certainly been included in that myself in the past. It is difficult to look inward and really question, "Am I doing right by my pet?". At the same time, occasionally taking the time for this reflection often leads to increased awareness and improvement in husbandry.

That being said, you will always have experts who know everything and never take the time to continually re-examine their practices. Unfortunate.

Nice post.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Tom said:

Tom,

In the Hermanns books I read, they state "wild growth rates" that seem outrageously slow. I actually believe the growth rates are facts, but nearly impossible for a "responsible tort owner" to achieve. In captivity, we tend to over feed high calorie store greens, keep them in consistently high temps (higher on average 24/7/365), and artificially hibernate them shorter periods than wild, if at all.

Would you agree with this? Does a well kept captive tort outlive an average wild tort? My guess is yes.

I personally have trouble not feeding a begging tortoise, I prefer the occasional "cool days" where the lights/heat stay off, and movement and food consumption is minimal. Obviously during the winter months when they are under lights in New York.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bettinge said:
Tom,

In the Hermanns books I read, they state "wild growth rates" that seem outrageously slow. I actually believe the growth rates are facts, but nearly impossible for a "responsible tort owner" to achieve. In captivity, we tend to over feed high calorie store greens, keep them in consistently high temps (higher on average 24/7/365), and artificially hibernate them shorter periods than wild, if at all.

Would you agree with this? Does a well kept captive tort outlive an average wild tort? My guess is yes.

I personally have trouble not feeding a begging tortoise, I prefer the occasional "cool days" where the lights/heat stay off, and movement and food consumption is minimal. Obviously during the winter months when they are under lights in New York.

Good points and good questions, Scott.

Due to the lifespan of tortoises, I don't think anyone reading this will ever know the answers to the longevity questions.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I am very familiar with the Hermann's books being referred too, both are very good books by excellent German authors who have extensive experience with these species in captivity and in the wild. I really don't think the wild growth rates stated in those books are "outrageously slow" at all. I think that they're normal and as they should be in the wild and as they should be strived for in captivity.
I've maintained for nearly three decades now that the majority of tortoises raised in captivity are grown too quickly due to being in constantly excessive heat, fed a diet extremely rich in vitamins and minerals and high in calories. All the things that you stated above are absolutely true. Many of the tortoises shown on this site are examples of that. Several have obvious signs of accelerated growth, due to the above conditions. 2 & 3 year old tortoises wouldn't be adult size and sexually mature if they were in the wild. Many of these types of tortoises that I have personally encountered over the years not only do not look like their wild or correctly raised counterparts, but they are often more "frail" in comparison.
No one here has proof that a captive born and raised tortoise will outlive a wild tortoise, or vice versa. None of us have been around long enough to be able to proof it and probably won't be. Wild caught tortoises in most cases are often up against adverse daily survival challenges. Heat, cold, dryness, flooding, sparse food availability, predators, mankind and more. But over thousands of years they have adapted, survived and in most cases, thrived and expanded their populations (until we got involved). Captive born and/or captive raised tortoises are subject to none of the above, except mankind. Many people pamper them, overfeed them, feed them what is to the tortoise, junkfood. Keep them excessively hot with little to no daily fluctuation, nevermind seasonal changes. Often in a small box that doesn't come remotely close to enough area for normal activity. So the end result is that the captive tortoise takes in far more calories, vitamins and minerals that it's body cannot properly use in the way that it was "designed". Which results in tortoises that grow too rapidly, mature too quickly, often times bumpy, pyramided or appearing as if they're "growing out of their shell" and look (and sometime act), different than they're wild counterparts. I personally don't think we're doing them any favors (or the species any justice) by doing this. Maybe I'm too much of purist, but I constantly strive to raise my tortoises to look and act like they're wild counterparts because that look is part of what attracted me to tortoises and turtles in the first place, not a bumpy, pale skinned tortoise with overgrown beaks and nails.
I know that all of the above practices will continue regardless of what myself or anyone else says. I'm okay with that because while I think it may be wrong, they're not my animals to have any say over. I'll continue to raise mine slow, smooth, healthy and as close as possible to they're wild counterparts as I can under captive conditions. It's what I prefer to do.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
GB - I totally agree with trying to give them a more natural environment, giving them foods that they see in their area and trying to let them be the judge on how much they eat by letting them graze themselves.

However, I don't agree that overfeeding always contributes to bumpy shells. Look at Tom. He tried to raise his first Sulcatas very slow, and never sprayed their shells probably. His pyramided. Now he has hatchlings that are likely bigger than wild hatchlings at the same age, that are as smooth as can be.

I noticed this myself and my own 2 tortoises. I got both of these Leopards (babcocki) at the 3-4 month mark. Doubting they were sprayed at all before I obtained them. So likely that was part of the problem too.

Thor, my now 2 year old started to pyramid at around 5-6 months old. Ambient humidity was high, humid hides, he had a water dish, got soaked multiple times a week. He got outside every day he could for hours. I never sprayed his shell as it was unheard of for leopards at the time. I fed him less because I was told to grow him slow. He weighed about 80 grams at the 1 year mark.

A year later, I got another Leopard, Sif. I sprayed her shell from the first day I got her every day, multiple times a day. That was ALL I changed with her. Diet remained the same, same humid hides, same soaking, same everything. She weighed almost 150 grams at the 1 year mark. I think she is the smoothest 1 year old Leopard on the forum. Very very slight almost non noticeable bumpiness. But I didn't have the honor of getting her in her first couple of weeks in life either.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yeah i ask myself on a regular basis how the shelled ones that live with me are doing. sometimes i know i can do better sometimes i'm doing the best with the infomation availalble. if any of you are herpetologists (professional or even amature) the the Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (SSAR) has several publications and sometimes their are studies published on captive husbantry as well as wild diets and ecology of turtles and tortoises. just figured i would tell you all of a possible source of information for those not aware of it's existance.

Status
Not open for further replies.