throat looks like a frog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, FL
I just got home and Eleanor is out...its been raining this afternoon and she's usually out when it rains. Anyway she's just sitting there relaxing I guess but she's breathing and her throat is poking out when she breathes kinda like a bull frog. It looks weird...is that normal? I'll try to take a picture...

I also forgot to mention yesterday when I got home she was on her side. Ever since its been rainy in the afternoon she is all wound up! I think I'm just not use to her being this active. I'm gonna have to get a web cam I think...

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Can you post of picture of your Oscar too? I really miss keeping those!

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
DSC_0284.jpg

Here's a pic it looks like her throat is sticking out it normally doesn't stick out that far when she's breathing? Am I just being paranoid?

Sure here is a pic of the Oscar...
DSC_1976.jpg

I bought him froma pet store because someone turned him in, I think he has what they call "hole in the head". I'm not sire how to fix it, I don't think you can.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It usually takes a combination of Flagyl (metronidazole) and Chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin) to treat HITH (which is what it does look like, and Oscars are prone to it.)

If you can't obtain the medication, I suggest euthanasia. Cleaner water conditions will make the fish more comfortable, but if you can't treat it, it is still suffering.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Thanks for the pic! I've really never seen HITH turn around, but its nice of you to have adopted it.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
About your tort. One good idea might be to just start looking on youtube for other people's redfoot tortoises. See if theirs are doing the same thing or not. If it's a normal behavior then you should be able to find a couple examples of it pretty easily.

Mine does that as well and the vet told me that that was to be expected since tortoises don't have a diaphragm so that's just them sucking in air. I was told that it was nothing to worry about. However, I was surprised to hear they didn't have a diaphragm. Can anybody else confirm this?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Taco does that frog throat thing all the time when I wake her or pick her up, even though I'm always gentle about handling her...it has been said on this forum that the gesture is just a nervous/territorial reaction to stimuli.

I feel like it's just sort of her standard greeting now, since she knows I'm not going to hurt her.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings, Destiny ~

You might wanna just give your vet a call, describing the 'bull frog effect' & providing additional info, then see what they have to say... you noted she's active, but you didn't mention if she's eating well, or the temp's she's been in..? Has she ever shown this throatiness before? Also, do you know how long she was on her side the other day?

If she's active, I would think all is well, however, my humble guesses would depend on those questions as well. If she's eating well & within normal temp ranges, my guess would be 'no biggie'... but if she was on her side in the rain in cooler temps for an extended length of time, I'd for sure cough up the cash to go to the vet, if the vet call gave the suggestion of bringing her in.

Not sure if any of that helps, but I sure hope so to ease your mind ~ Take care & keep us posted,
Purpod

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Your yellowfoot is breathing.. nothing abnormal about that!

NERD

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
As Terry says just breathing. No, torts don't have a diaphragm as the chest can't expand like other higher veretebrates so air is pumped by limb movement and "gulping" . When my redfoots are in "mood" the gulping is really obvious.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Destiny said:
DSC_0284.jpg

Here's a pic it looks like her throat is sticking out it normally doesn't stick out that far when she's breathing? Am I just being paranoid?

Sure here is a pic of the Oscar...
DSC_1976.jpg

I bought him froma pet store because someone turned him in, I think he has what they call "hole in the head". I'm not sire how to fix it, I don't think you can.

Yep, mind do that all the time. Mine usually do it just before a yawn. She looks so much like my Daisy!

100_1462.jpg

Bullfrog throat during a yawn!
100_2397.jpg

-Matt

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Thanks you guys. I guess I'm just not used to seeing her as much as I have in the past couple of days. She has been out all the time lately. I was worried thinking their was something wrong with her hide, but I guess it was just the weather. She was out for almost a day and a half. She even slept outside. But today they're not calling for rain so she has been in her hide all day again.

I guess Terry was right about the location of her "outdoor enclosure" we will definitely see a lot more of her this summer!! I'm excited:)

Status
Not open for further replies.