Tick Tock's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Here it is:

Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

I found the Christmas tree box at wal-mart for about 30 dollars.

Then, my friends and I took a jigsaw to cut off the end of that box and a hole in the original. Then we used a dremel with a sander attachment to smooth the edges, and then layered a ton of clear packing tape over the edges to make sure no sharp plastic could be found. Then we taped the two bins together with more packing tape, and finally put down some terrarium liner on top of the tape that was on the inside just in case.

Then, upon getting it back inside I laid down three bags of sphagnum moss, set the lights back up, put in his hide, water dish, and feeding dish.

I think I might need to buy a heat emitter (well, once I'm not broke again) to keep the cooler end from being too cool.

Hope he likes all the extra room!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I love what you did! And making them "L" shape was a great idea. I only have one thing sort of negative to say: The spiral bulb you have in the one clamp fixture should be changed out. There has been some pretty bad press about the spiral bulbs harming the reptile's eyes.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

Yvonne

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Yeah, I've been only having it on for limited amounts of time because there's so much conflicting stuff on if RFs need UV light. Since it's snowy outside I can't take him outside (although he's by a window that shines in during the day) to get natural light, but I also don't want to fry his eyes out, so it's seeming like a tough call.

I also put the lamp up there because if I need to change the bulb I'd like to at least already have a fixture ready.

I've opened your link and am about to read the report, any new information on UV is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and is there a UV bulb you recommend instead?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm getting two of these:

http://www.reptileuv.com/why-use-megaray.php

They are supposed to be the best, and they are hella cheaper than the bulbs they have at petco....

I don't know about RFs though...You might need a "low" watt one...I don't know how they do w/ bright lights or really hot basking lights. I'm getting a 100w for my Greek(s)

RF keeper chime in? I don't want to give bad advice...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I may be wrong, but I don't think that all compacts have issues, just the ones listed in the report. I have a compact, a RetiGlo (ReptiSun is listed, but not the Glo) and so far I have not had problems. I don't keep it pounding right down on the basking area all day, either. I have been watching very closely for signs of discomfort and I have seen none.

A lot of torts that come from arid, hot areas are crepuscular... Their main activity times are in the early morning and in the evening. The rest of the time they are sitting in the humid microclimate of their burrows, or tucked underneath shading vegetation or rocks. So while they need UV, they might not need as much as some people think.

Kristina

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
kyryah said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think that all compacts have issues, just the ones listed in the report. I have a compact, a RetiGlo (ReptiSun is listed, but not the Glo) and so far I have not had problems. I don't keep it pounding right down on the basking area all day, either. I have been watching very closely for signs of discomfort and I have seen none.

A lot of torts that come from arid, hot areas are crepuscular... Their main activity times are in the early morning and in the evening. The rest of the time they are sitting in the humid microclimate of their burrows, or tucked underneath shading vegetation or rocks. So while they need UV, they might not need as much as some people think.

Kristina
Good points Kristina,
The UV bulbs are designed to mimic the sun at "high noon". They are meant to be used in one portion of the habitat, but with an area to escape it when desired. Redfoot tortoises spend much of their time exploring the undergrowth. They bask infrequently and have a lower need for UV.

Kyryah, the way you designed your enclosure allows for plenty of areas to escape the UV, if desired. You can also run the UV on a seperate timer from the heat bulb. Nice job.

Hope this helps

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
jpeck425 said:
Good points Kristina,
The UV bulbs are designed to mimic the sun at "high noon". They are meant to be used in one portion of the habitat, but with an area to escape it when desired. Redfoot tortoises spend much of their time exploring the undergrowth. They bask infrequently and have a lower need for UV.

Kyryah, the way you designed your enclosure allows for plenty of areas to escape the UV, if desired. You can also run the UV on a seperate timer from the heat bulb. Nice job.

Hope this helps

Thanks. One thing I should point out also is that the way that the compacts are mounted and the fixture both have impacts on the output of UV. If the bulb is mounted horizontaly, the output is greater because the surface is greater. If the bulb is mounted like a regular bulb, it has a narrower range of output.

Studies showed that while the Zoomed or like clamp lamps with the white interior had little or no effect on the output of UV, the cheaper aluminum fixtures can DOUBLE the UV output!

I think that compacts (other than those cited as dangerous) are valuable tools if used correctly. The main drawback to strip flourescents is that they have a much larger output range and it can be hard for the tort to "get away" from the UV light. The main drawback that I see to the combined heat/UV lights is that the tort is forced to take UV along with it's heat source.

I do have my enclosure set up with different light "zones" (I think it is different now than in the pictures even.) I have a regular basking bulb in one corner, a red basking bulb in another corner, and the UV compact in yet a different spot, actually over the feeding area. My torts get UV while they eat, and since they are very active, as they troll around the enclosure and pass or stop under the bulb.

I think these guys have better instincts about what their bodies need than what we often give them credit for. I see it with cuttlebone. They will often ignore it for days, and then suddenly eat it all, when their body tells them they need to. I think that they will seek out UV light when they need it, as long as it is provided.

Chelonians are one of the oldest life forms on earth, we have got to give them some credit!

Kristina

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Taylor I like the L-shape configuration! That is where you want his "bedroom" to be. All you have to do now is basically 'arrange' everything in order.

After over 10 years of raising and now breeding redfoots.. I've found they "thrive" much better in higher humidity - so you will want to make changes on your lighting [ really consider replacing that 'clamplight' ] so you can put lids on your new enclosure. Be not concerned about airflow.. you can't make it "air-tight" and still mist daily anyway.

As far as getting "AWAY" from the UV.. it's more like getting TO the lights. Kristina.. Kyryah and Meg are right on when describing a redfoots habits.. mine are nowhere to be seen at high noon! Redfoots don't utilize light the way most all of the other tortoises in the world do. THANKS GUYS FOR BACKING UP THE TRUTH ON "LIGHTING-REQUIREMENTS-FOR-REDFOOT TORTOISES"
BOWDOWN-1.gif

I get excited when I find someone that knows what they're talking about!!! { where did you find that info? }

They get most all of their D3 needs from there DIET. Be more concerned with keeping a uniform mid 80's F temps than all of that UV.. so get an "undercabinet" light from Walmart.. mount it on a 1" x 3" board.. a plant light bulb and put the food-dish under that.

You can find the order on the redfoots.com housing page.. http://www.redfoots.com/henclose.htm

NERD

BTW.. while typing ONE word a minute Kristina posted about her Sulcata enclosure, etc. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH REDFOOT TORTOISE NEEDS.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Thanks! I am planning on aranging things like your site shows as soon as I get some more money! I think he likes the new home it is just kind of odd he is going towards the cold end more that still needs a heat emitter.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, I was not trying to confuse Sulcata and Redfoot requirements.

(By the way, Kristina and Kyryah are the same person... Me. So was I right, or was I wrong? You are saying both :) )

And I actually type over 60 WPM :D

Kristina

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kyryah said:

(By the way, Kristina and Kyryah are the same person... Me. So was I right, or was I wrong? You are saying both :) )

Kristina

See how you are!

GRIN.gif

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, I'm kind of shifty like that, lol. ;)

To answer your question about where I got my information, I honestly can't tell you. I have been gobbling tortoise knowledge for 14 years. I discredit about 90% of what I hear.

No matter what we do as keepers, we will never replicate nature. It just isn't possible. It is however our duty as keepers to do what ever we can to mimic it as best as possible.

My main source for determining how a to care for a tortoise is to study it's natural habitat. If it lives in a desert, it lives in a desert type setting in captivity. If they burrow, they need more humidity. If they come from a shady forest type setting, then that is what they need. It is only common sense.

Information on wild tortoises is SEVERELY lacking, and that is where we need to turn for study.

But, I digress from the original topic...

Kristina

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
kyryah said:

Kristina
My apologies, lol, I think I addressed you as two different people also :)
and I completely forgot the set-up belonged to NicholsNINE, so my apologies there too!
Sometimes these longer threads can get confusing, at least that what I'm sticking with. The alternative is that my brain is going, already at 42, lol ;)

Be well

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kyryah said:
Hey, it happens :)

Kristina

Kristina I've somewhat been known for "one-liners".

"It is only common sense."

Too bad.. common sense.. isn't...

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.