tilting at windmills, short greenhouse for better winter time heat retention.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey all,

I'd like to get some of the more tropical tortoises outside year round. I have some constraints.

1)Climate, we get many days in the winter, about six to 8 weeks, where overnight lows get in the low 40'sF and every dozens or so years, I hear mild frosts.

2)Aesthetics, a giant greenhouse would be less 'sellable' a backyard installation for my wife.

I can use a night house for the cold overnight periods, most days will get into the 50'sF even if no sun (foggy or overcast). But I am thinking a greenhouse with the double wall plastic would warm up and hold some heat maybe getting high 70's to low 80's.

It seems to me it would work even better if the greenhouse was only four fete tall, (heat rising etc.) than say a ten foot greenhouse. I am also thinking a smaller air volume might be easier (less expensive to heat as well if I applied some sort of heating device.

Foot print will be no less than 10 x 20 feet.

So, how to access and maintain a low ceiling greenhouse? In the summer I could just 'fold' or hinge, the ceiling up, or have removable panels?

The whole structure will need to be walled with 1/2 by 1/2 wire cloth. There are local rats in abundance.

I had been thinking about just building a tall, 7 foot height, 'aviary' and covering it with plastic each winter, but I know the local aesthetics police will not allow such.

I have failed to find any images or plans already on the internet, even that would be a help.

Any ideas?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
These are interesting ideas. There is also a rigid cover - greenhouse like thing to cover pools like these https://www.sunrooms-enclosures.com...closures-blog/swimming-pool-covers-guide.html

I am under the impression that a shorter, three or four foot tall greenhouse, would heat up quicker as the air volume is less, maybe that is not true. But then how to 'work' it by cleaning water dishes and picking up waste, etc. I don't think a sunken greenhouse would be helpful, as the air volume is still 'big'. Our lowest temp is not much lower than the mean soil temp, so not much advantage, especially if I have heated night boxes.

The height issue with the wire covering can be not so big a deal, if I simply open up panels so I can stand up. My concern is more to keep day time heat extended into the evening and overnight, as well as visual impact that my wife might object to.

I'll sort something out and rough out some sort of diagram. I think I'll base the actual size on multiples of the greenhouse panels, so no waste of what will likely be the most expensive material.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A few thoughts, although not necessarily consistent... :)

I'm wondering if the sunken greenhouse perhaps makes up for the increased air volume by using the earth (ground) as insulation for the sunken part. As long as you don't have to worry about the ground freezing, anyway.

Once you get the interior air warmed to the appropriate temperature, isn't it mostly just a matter of maintaining that temperature? Well, I guess at that point, it's a matter of how well the (roof and exposed sides) materials hold the heat in.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How about just raising the enclosure in the area. You could insulate the floor add heat. Some guy up north did a basement build with a mini green house and a table. All that space underneath would allow for plumbing and electrical