Time for a new logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Anyone up for an informal logo contest for the forum? I really love TFO, but for some reason, the climbing tort logo sort of bugs me.

Would it be OK for me to ask for ideas to be submitted? I am not really sure what the protocol is for this sort of thing.

If I were going to make rules, they would be the same as the usual design rules for logos-
- Should work in several sizes, so simple is better
- Should work in color, blank and white, and possibly greyscale
- Should be able to be used on the site, T-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc. (even if it never is.)
- Should work with or without words
- If words are included, they should be able to be arranged in a few ways- a square/circle, long (like a banner) or tall (like a side ad)
- Animation is optional, but it should look great without it.

(While there are exceptions to every rule, most of the logos you most quickly identify meet these rules- Coke, Nike, 3M, IBM, Apple, etc.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree wholeheartedly. When Josh added the "climbing" tortoise to our banner, he was so proud of himself that I didn't say anything about not liking it. I think a contest is a great idea. Something simple, yet recognizable.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Josh! Don't take it so hard! Its just that your climbing tortoise offends my sense of symmetry. You took a walking-on-level-ground tortoise picture and made him into a climbing tortoise and it just isn't right!

What do you think about a contest for a new logo?

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I wouldn't mind seeing what ideas folks have for a new logo.
However, I didn't alter the current logo at all! He is in that exact position on the rubber stamp he was derived from! Just FYI...

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
actually, I take that back. I shortened his tail because the tortoise on the stamp has WAY too long of a tail...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Besides, I think of it more as a ;lets see what ideas are out there' thing than a 'lets decide on a new logo' thing.

I'm trying to think of something I can offer as prizes for some of the entries. I'll think of something!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, here is one idea- lets call it Square Shells.

In TFO Fonts, I show the idea with different fonts under it. The right font makes a huge difference, as you can see.

TFO Layout shows how the elements can be rearranged to make a wide/banner logo, a more squared logo, or a more upright column logo.

TFO Colors shows it in full color, black and white, grayscale, and how it might look duotone with a tan background, like the grayscale with tan instead of white.

If we used it, I would want to replace the actual photos with photos donated by members to avoid any copyright issues, and to get a more consistent look in the photos, size, and main focus.

Here is an idea based on my avatar I am calling Tribal Tortoise. I only show it in B&W, cuz I think it looks best that way. I think it would make a cook tattoo, embroidered hat/shirt logo, etc.

I also think it lends itself nicely to things like backgrounds, as shown in TFO Tribal BK. (Ignore the part of the grey image that is bigger than the paper- i could not seem to crop it tonight for some reason.)

TFO Tribal EM shows it 'embossed', which would look cool on a T-shirt, banner, etc. while only using 2 colors besides the background (I did it in blue in honor of the current banner.)

Attachments

• TFO Fonts.jpg
    TFO Fonts.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 20
  • TFO Layouts.jpg
    TFO Layouts.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 21
  • TFO Colors.jpg
    TFO Colors.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 15
  • TFO Tribal.jpg
    TFO Tribal.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 16
  • TFO Tribal BK.jpg
    TFO Tribal BK.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 16
  • TFO Tribal EM.jpg
    TFO Tribal EM.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm going to repost these in a new thread for submissions, and I've cleaned up a few goofs.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Though I am neutral about the current logo, I think that a logo contest by members would likely produce some exciting and creative ideas, and therefore should be attempted. I have to say, after looking through Madkins' efforts here, that I really like the blue/blue tortoise image, because the lines within the circle almost make a stick figure, which sort of symbolizes the "humanity" of these reptiles, which can only be a good thing if it influences people's thinking about reptiles in general and tortoises specifically.

Did that run-on sentence make any sense?

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
I think the logo is fine as it is but it would be cool to see what everyone could come up with! Also MadKins I liked the Tribal Bk one!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, let me get this straight. You have shown YOUR suggestions for a new logo, in different formats, and you want us to submit OUR suggestions. Not to pick one of yours. Right? Yours were only shown as examples.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Either or- submit your own, feedback on mine, whatever. This is a REALLY informal thing. But I would prefer that people submit ideas so we can see the creative power out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.