Time to get my night heaters working.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Itll be well into the 60s this evening.
I just set up the timer for my two heated night houses and tested the CHEs.
I love CHEs!
They're so reliable. These haven't been touched since January.

I used to like CHEs too, until I got a few Radiant Heat Panels. I love them. Not as scalding hot, I can even hold my hand to them and feel the radiant heat. Like a good old-fashioned hot water radiator. Nice “glow” of heat emanating outward.

Been colder here in Md too, frost last few mornings. But, we're starting a bit of a warming trend now. Enjoy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have them both, RHPS and CHEs. They each have their uses. I prefer the RHPs in the smaller enclosures, like the closed 'chambers,' but I like the CHEs for larger areas. Last winter I removed all my pig blankets in the sheds and replaced them with RHPS. It didn't work out. The sheds weren't warm enough. I had to put the pig blankets back. I've been using 250watt brooder lamps in the sheds at night along with the pig blankets, but this winter I'm trying 250 watt CHE instead. . . heat without the red light of the brooder lamps. Amazon has them for $16 and Tractor Supply has the 10" ceramic clamp lights for $11.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a 100 watt CHE in each night house. (2)They're probably like 40" square. Not very large.
But the houses stay at a cozy level down to about 52°-53° outside.
Anything lower, or sustained, the whole gang gets put into totes and comes inside to my sun room.
Fortunately for me, nights below 52 are ultra rare.
It's just been an easy and ultra reliable set up.
(Now that I no longer use BLACK INCANDESCENT bulbs)
This cold snap gives this year's Hurricane season a big goodbye

Attachments

• 20210116_140511.jpg
    20210116_140511.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I have a 100 watt CHE in each night house. (2)They're probably like 40" square. Not very large.
But the houses stay at a cozy level down to about 52°-53° outside.
Anything lower, or sustained, the whole gang gets put into totes and comes inside to my sun room.
Fortunately for me, nights below 52 are ultra rare.
It's just been an easy and ultra reliable set up.
(Now that I no longer use BLACK INCANDESCENT bulbs)
This cold snap gives this year's Hurricane season a big goodbye
“Cold“ is relevant. My little Russian is tucked up in his inside enclosure for the season because we are reaching 30F at night already.?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, you are lucky down there. Our Sully has been inside now about a month. It’s 33F outside this morning. ❄️❄️☃️ But a cozy 84F inside Sully’s nightbox.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep, you are lucky down there. Our Sully has been inside now about a month. It’s 33F outside this morning. ❄️❄️☃️ But a cozy 84F inside Sully’s nightbox.
Haha at least your sully is smart enough to go in its nightbox. For my Leopard its 50/50 in or out of the nightbox so inside he went!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Haha at least your sully is smart enough to go in its nightbox. For my Leopard its 50/50 in or out of the nightbox so inside he went!
My group is mixed.
3 of them sleep in the sleep houses every night.
3 prefer to sleep amongst the bushes and have to be located and physically placed inside if it gets too cool