Timmy is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Ok guys Timmy is sick, I'm pretty sure it's respiratory infection. He's not interested in food and when I gave him a soak this morning there was bubbles coming from his nose. So what sort of medicine should I give Hume and where do I get it. I'm in Phoenix AZ so I hope someone can point me in a local vet direction. I have 4 other sullies outside and they are all fine. Help me

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The first thing to do is to up your temps a bit and make sure you are measuring them effectively. Do you have a temp gun and a thermometer with a remote probe? I suggest an ambient around 85-90 24/7, and a basking site around 100-105 for 12 hours a day until symptoms go away. I prefer to solve the problem that caused the symptoms to appear in the first place, rather than try to deal with the symptoms alone. Get rid of the problem and the symptoms usually go away too.

What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking and night? What heating and lighting equipment are you using?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Are you feeding your torts on a clean surface? Sometimes this will happen if their food gets dirty and they ingest too much soil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arizona Sulcata said:
Are you feeding your torts on a clean surface? Sometimes this will happen if their food gets dirty and they ingest too much soil.

Do you suspect impaction? I didn't think of that...

Timmytort, does Timmy get soaked daily?

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Probably should have given more info, Timmy is just over 3 years old and about 10 inches or so. He says outside with a the other torts here in Phoenix. It does get cool at night here in the winter but I have a tiki hut that goes underground for them all to hang out in. It currently had 2 150watt ceramic heat emitters running 24/7 Rey keep the ambient temp at around 65 on the coldest nights. Directly under the heaters I would say the temp is around 85 during the cold nights and warmer in the day. The ambient temp stays about 30 degrees above the outside temp which has only dipped into the 30's a few times and it usually gets at least 65 everyday outside and over 75 in the hut everyday. He is eating now that I have brought him inside and heated him up. He has some trouble breathing but seems to be doing better since I have him isolated and at about 95 degrees. He has always had some wheezing even when it was a steady 110 plus here

danielle

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just took one of my sulcatas Flash to the vet the other day for a URI. I am here in Phoenix also. I took her to Camel West Animal Hospital. It is on 99 ave and Camelback. she had an exam, and they are sending for a Mycoplasma DNA test, and antibiotics and it cost $150.00. Everyone there was very nice and helpful. The retile vet is Dr. Ainsworth. He was very nice and took time to explain alot of things to me. I had a very good experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.