Tina laid another clutch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well opened up the tort house yesterday morning and Tina came out immediately.. And started pacing the the back fence..l within 1 hr she dug two rather lg nest...but moved on digging a total of 10 before finally Starting to lay(I had to help her on the last nest by clearing some roots)..She started at 9am and finished at 8pm..God bless her she was tired...she never left her hide today.. She ate as I delivered her food but otherwise slept all day..

This is the second clutch in less than two month.. Is this normal?? Also been noticing that she seems to be very (how should I say it) amorous with the other males lately.. she usually avoids the males but lately she has been harassing them..
Thoughts.??

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Were talking about a sulcata, right? Well, the mother of my two babies were from different clutches, about 6 weeks apart. I believe it's normal, but the interests in males is a mystery to me. Did you see how many eggs she laid?
Tony the tank said:
Well opened up the tort house yesterday morning and Tina came out immediately.. And started pacing the the back fence..l within 1 hr she dug two rather lg nest...but moved on digging a total of 10 before finally Starting to lay(I had to help her on the last nest by clearing some roots)..She started at 9am and finished at 8pm..God bless her she was tired...she never left her hide today.. She ate as I delivered her food but otherwise slept all day..

This is the second clutch in less than two month.. Is this normal?? Also been noticing that she seems to be very (how should I say it) amorous with the other males lately.. she usually avoids the males but lately she has been harassing them..
Thoughts.??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I was able to count 11 ( using a mirror and flashlight)before it started to rain.. How many more after that I can't say...

I'm kind of stumped about her need for attention.. Usually she would avoid the males as they are constantly all over her....

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Congrats! My female sully that just laid eggs has been doing the same thing where she is mating MUCH more than I used to notice. I think it's the biological clock peaking perhaps. at least for me in South Louisiana this is the beginning of breeding season for both my tortoises and my box turtles.

How do you incubate your eggs? Are they ground hatched??

I can't ground hatch mine in south louisiana because our water table is to high and I've lost many eggs to a long heavy rain that drowns the eggs out.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
To be honest..I have been so busy getting settled and she has been Laying so many clutches lately ... I've just been leaving them in the ground.... I am in Fla..so they have a good chance.. .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All of the above is totally normal and right on schedual. My females lay right around every six weeks. Some do it every four and some do it every eight, so yours is within normal.

It has been my anecdotal observation, and other people's too, that sulcatas do not retain sperm as well or for as long as some other tortoise species. This would explain why they tend to breed more and more often and more throughout the entire year than some other species. I sometimes joke that the "breeding" season at my place begins around January 1st and ends around December 31st each year.

Might be different in FL, but because its so dry here and they use all their stored urine to dampen the soil for digging, I like to soak my females within a day or two after laying and make sure fresh clean drinking water is available too. I also supplement their calcium intake, just to make sure they have enough to produce all those eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.