Tiny is finally getting a new enclosure!

StephandTay

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, WI
Tort table 1.jpg Tort table 2.jpg I was randomly on Craigslist today and happened across this tort table! I am buying it tomorrow for 40 bucks which I think is a steal! I have been meaning to build Tiny my RT a new enclosure for a while now, but something is always coming up being the busy Summer season. Honestly, I don't know how well I would have been at building one anyway! So this will work out perfect :)

The person selling it made a new enclosure for their Russian and has left some of the coco coir in the enclosure. I use the same substrate is it fine to leave what's in there and add mine to it? I am not sure why they didn't just clean it all out but who knows. I would obviously closely examine what's in there for bugs etc... as my tort has nothing of the sorts in his current substrate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would personally recommend that you clean out all of the old substrate top to bottom, give the enclosure a good disinfecting, let it all dry and air out in this Summer sunshine before you put your RT inside with new substrate.

Others might know of a good safe cleaner to use in the process.

You don’t want any nasty things passeed from old envlosure and substrate to your RT.

Good luck.

Ps. That top platform looks rather low, possibly an easy escape!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You have a 5-6 year old Russian tortoise correct? What is the dimensions of the enclosure shown? It looks like it is 4 x 2 feet am I wrong? That would be small for an Adult Russian. I would get rid of the top platform entirely. That is definitely a climbing hazard.

As Maro2Bear has mentioned, a good cleaning would be recommended. Who knows how long that substrate has been in that box. Did you ask the previous owner about the construction of the box or how long has it been since it was built/ if they bothered to use any sealants?

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
You have a 5-6 year old Russian tortoise correct? What is the dimensions of the enclosure shown? It looks like it is 4 x 2 feet am I wrong? That would be small for an Adult Russian. I would get rid of the top platform entirely. That is definitely a climbing hazard.

As Maro2Bear has mentioned, a good cleaning would be recommended. Who knows how long that substrate has been in that box. Did you ask the previous owner about the construction of the box or how long has it been since it was built/ if they bothered to use any sealants?
Yes, you are right about the size. It is larger then his current enclosure so he should like the upgrade. He is currently in one of those long plastic tubs you would use to put wrapping paper in or something. It was temporary until I built something. But this will do for now. Those are some good questions! I will ask those when I go to meet with the current owners. I agree with you both I will completely clean out the enclosure and clean it and let it sun soak before adding Tiny's things to it. I was also thinking the same things about his loft area that he may be able to climb out he does like to climb! So I am thinking I will extend those walls right away so he cannot get out. I want to keep the loft area cause I think he will enjoy going up and down the ramp. He is a very active tort and already loves climbing onto the top of his hide and everything. Yeah I am guessing he is between 5-6 and is not that big but I see Russians don't get very big. Right now he can still fit in my whole hand. When I got him from the previous owner she did not have him set up correctly with humidity and a variety diet So I am hoping he still grows some more since he is better set up with us. Thanks for the advice ;)