Tiny Tim the sulcata at six months

Trishk

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
E06016CB-3E9A-460D-B8BE-3C42446B013E.jpegHi all,
This is Trish who found little neonate sulcata on my property last November. I still don’t know who has breeding tortoises in my neighborhood.
I believe he is a little over 6 months now. Born perhaps early October 2021? This is the enclosure I have for him for now. It is a 35 gallon repti zoo. It spray it down and mist it often and manage to keep it at about 70 degrees humidity or more most of the time. I have a piece of plexiglass covering much of the mesh. I’ve read Tom’s very informative articles, thank you Tom.
I know this enclosure is kind of small and plan to upgrade. Timi gets out in the sun about 45 minutes to 90 minutes a day to exercise and graze, always under my watchful eye. I don’t have an outdoor enclosure yet. His favorite greens are mallow weed and cactus leaves. Both abundant here.
He is currently about 146 grams or 5.15 ounces.

A few questions: How hot is too hot and how cold is too cold for his outdoor forays? Today is sunny and 68 degrees F and he seemed quite happy. A few days ago we had an unusual heat wave in the high 80’s to 90 degrees F and he made a beeline for the shady bushes.
Is it true female sulcatas return to the same place each year to lay eggs? Timi is the only baby I found. What to do if mother comes back this year.
Do you think a 67 Gallon enclosure is big enough for a couple of years? They aren’t cheap.
Here is a kind of dumb question but what the heck, how do they get oxygen in a fully enclosed enclosure? Please be kind I’m doing my best and thank you for welcoming me here!

Attachments

• C7F06193-E38F-4814-9603-39F16894C958.jpeg
    C7F06193-E38F-4814-9603-39F16894C958.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
View attachment 343167Hi all,
This is Trish who found little neonate sulcata on my property last November. I still don’t know who has breeding tortoises in my neighborhood.
I believe he is a little over 6 months now. Born perhaps early October 2021? This is the enclosure I have for him for now. It is a 35 gallon repti zoo. It spray it down and mist it often and manage to keep it at about 70 degrees humidity or more most of the time. I have a piece of plexiglass covering much of the mesh. I’ve read Tom’s very informative articles, thank you Tom.
I know this enclosure is kind of small and plan to upgrade. Timi gets out in the sun about 45 minutes to 90 minutes a day to exercise and graze, always under my watchful eye. I don’t have an outdoor enclosure yet. His favorite greens are mallow weed and cactus leaves. Both abundant here.
He is currently about 146 grams or 5.15 ounces.

A few questions: How hot is too hot and how cold is too cold for his outdoor forays? Today is sunny and 68 degrees F and he seemed quite happy. A few days ago we had an unusual heat wave in the high 80’s to 90 degrees F and he made a beeline for the shady bushes.
Is it true female sulcatas return to the same place each year to lay eggs? Timi is the only baby I found. What to do if mother comes back this year.
Do you think a 67 Gallon enclosure is big enough for a couple of years? They aren’t cheap.
Here is a kind of dumb question but what the heck, how do they get oxygen in a fully enclosed enclosure? Please be kind I’m doing my best and thank you for welcoming me here!
They get all the oxygen they need when you open it everyday to feed them. And a 67 gallon aquarium should last you 10 months to 1 year and a half all tortoises grow at different rates. Mine is really small and its 1 year old. A different person on this forum has one that is 1 year old and its giant! So it all depends. 😉