tip of beak broken off on a pancake tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hello everyone, i have not been following this forum since last winter but I have been reading up recently......
question is, do any of you keep Pancake torts and if so.....have you ever had one break off the tip of his beak?
he seems to still be able to eat very well and none of his daily habbits have been effected.....will it grow completely back? i always thought it was made of caratine like a finger nail so i figure it would grow back...any suggestions are appriciated i can take pics if needed

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A little slow on the reply but... Assuming it was just the tip and there is no additional damage, he should be just fine. It does make one wonder how it would have happened. Juggling bowling balls, perhaps? ;-)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you're still around. Sorry none of us answered when you first posted. I didn't see this message until this morning after Art's reply.

I had a beak problem a couple years ago. My male Manouria emys phayrei had a flared out top beak. He's a pretty large tortoise and a very hard beak. I was using a farrier's clipping tool to clip off the flared edge and the tortoise jerked his head back at the same time I was applying the pressure to clip off the "bite." This caused the tortoise's beak to break up higher than I was clipping...into the quick. It was very painful for the tortoise and he made a sound of pain. It took him a week to start eating again, so my guess was that it took almost a week for the sensitive quick to harden off and become desensitized. The beak looks fine now, but it took a very long time for it to grow back.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
thanks for the experience stories.....i have been watching him and he is eating like a horse so i dont think there is any problem, im sure it will grow back eventually. I'll bet if I got him a girl to play with he would grow it back quicker!! he he :D

Status
Not open for further replies.