Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Hell YES

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Show us a picture of the belly.
sure, here, im sorry i sound like such a noob.. I mean im trying my best.. given the circumstances of how I obtained him, he honestly could have died.. I also took your advice and soak him for about 20 minutes a day.. he seems more lively and eats more often now. Thank you, Also do you have any tips on how to keep the tank humid? I honestly have been trying.. but I dont know the most effective way, I spray his tank VERY often! bellyofsaturn.JPG

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Show us a picture of the belly.
of course! I circled the thing on his belly, i hope it isn't anything bad.. Im kinda a noob when it comes to tortoises.. sorry. I am trying my best, given the circum stances of how I obtained him (or her i dont know how to sex them..) bellyofsaturn.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
of course! I circled the thing on his belly, i hope it isn't anything bad.. Im kinda a noob when it comes to tortoises.. sorry. I am trying my best, given the circum stances of how I obtained him (or her i dont know how to sex them..)

When they are started dry, that is when you see the dried up umbilicus that you are seeing there. Don't worry about it. Follow the care sheet, soak daily, and it will be fine.

Spraying does very little to help the humidity with an open top. What you need to do is contain your warm moist air. Use a closed chamber.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
When they are started dry, that is when you see the dried up umbilicus that you are seeing there. Don't worry about it. Follow the care sheet, soak daily, and it will be fine.

Spraying does very little to help the humidity with an open top. What you need to do is contain your warm moist air. Use a closed chamber.
I already have a top for my tank, but I cant achieve 80% humidity I have a metal top that looks like mesh a bit. How do you keep it humid?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used your advice, I got a top for my tank, but I cant achieve 80% humidity I have a metal top that looks like mesh a bit. How do you keep it humid?
Mesh tops don't stop the air transfer. I don't advise putting a top on an open tank. I advise building or buying a closed chamber with the lights inside.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Mesh tops don't stop the air transfer. I don't advise putting a top on an open tank. I advise building or buying a closed chamber with the lights inside.
Oh i see. I don't have the money right now for a whole new enclosure, when I get paid I will. Do you know any ways to get the humidity in the regular tank I already have?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Oh i see. I don't have the money right now for a whole new enclosure, when I get paid I will. Do you know any ways to get the humidity in the regular tank I already have?

If you do have a mesh lid, cover it with aluminum foil. Form a good seal on your lighting fixtures. A tiny air hole or two for small/tiny enclosures isn't going to affect the humidity level too much.

If you do not have a lid, use plastic film, foam insulation board, wood, plexiglass, and or cardboard. They're all relatively cheap.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
If you do have a mesh lid, cover it with aluminum foil. Form a good seal on your lighting fixtures. A tiny air hole or two for small/tiny enclosures isn't going to affect the humidity level too much.

If you do not have a lid, use plastic film, foam insulation board, wood, plexiglass, and or cardboard. They're all relatively cheap.
Thank you! I do have a lid. How big should the holes for him to breath be? Hes just a lil dude.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
THANK YOU EVERYONE! his final tank is gonna be PERFECT! And he will live for a while I bet! He looks very healthy (in comparison of how he looked when we first found him) I think the reason he was so dry, is because he was laying in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD when we did find him, in this arizona heat, he could have just COOKED.. Seriously, I will try to provide him the best life I possibly can

Rosiegirl

Tampa, Florida
Sounds like you are on the right track! I own an adult red foot tortoise now but I used to have a breeding pair of sulcata tortoises so I am really familiar with the care of the babies. His tummy looks fine, once that egg sac absorbs you can see that little mark for a while. You can also try different types of nutrient rich lettuce like kale or red leaf, they love zucchini, and love red stuff like strawberries and apples (just not a ton of fruit) he will get more of an appetite as he gets bigger. I always warn people when they are tiny, if you make a little outdoor enclosure for him, make sure there is a cover (so nothing gets at him) and an area for shade so he can get out of the direct heat.
Good luck! Sulcatas get to be pretty large and they are good diggers!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Emily Contreras. Please make sure give your tort a daily soak in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding. I'd also like to point out that the 16 minutes you mentioned are not enough.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Sounds like you are on the right track! I own an adult red foot tortoise now but I used to have a breeding pair of sulcata tortoises so I am really familiar with the care of the babies. His tummy looks fine, once that egg sac absorbs you can see that little mark for a while. You can also try different types of nutrient rich lettuce like kale or red leaf, they love zucchini, and love red stuff like strawberries and apples (just not a ton of fruit) he will get more of an appetite as he gets bigger. I always warn people when they are tiny, if you make a little outdoor enclosure for him, make sure there is a cover (so nothing gets at him) and an area for shade so he can get out of the direct heat.
Good luck! Sulcatas get to be pretty large and they are good diggers!
Thank you so much! Hes doing great right now, his faveorite food is hibisus leaves. he will eat 2 whole leaves !

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thank you so much! Hes doing great right now, his faveorite food is hibisus leaves. he will eat 2 whole leaves !
Fruits should not be given, this includes zucchini. Just didn’t want you following incorrect diet advice. He is so adorable. I think you are the one that posted the previous a tail pic. So cute!

Rosiegirl

Tampa, Florida

Oh that is good to hear! :) Yes, mine Loved hibiscus flowers too! They can eat zucchini and Veges, you just have to research the ones that are good, they say about 80% good greens, grasses etc and no more than 20% of fruits and stuff. My tortoises love them and are super healthy. I’m just telling u from my experience... good luck with your baby! :)

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Oh that is good to hear! :) Yes, mine Loved hibiscus flowers too! They can eat zucchini and Veges, you just have to research the ones that are good, they say about 80% good greens, grasses etc and no more than 20% of fruits and stuff. My tortoises love them and are super healthy. I’m just telling u from my experience... good luck with your baby! :)
Thank you!
Fruits should not be given, this includes zucchini. Just didn’t want you following incorrect diet advice. He is so adorable. I think you are the one that posted the previous a tail pic. So cute!
I am the one! hes doing good.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Glucose/Sugars
Glucose is a product of plant photosynthesis and an excess is stored as glycogen to be used by the plant to give energy. Sugar that is ingested as fruit: apples, plums, berries, tomatoes (yes, tomatoes are fruit), ferments faster than that from a natural diet, causing high levels of endotoxins, compromising the normal gut flora which in turn may lead to liver abscesses and possibly prove fatal. Some tropical species of tortoise, such as Red-foots, have adapted to have fruit as part of their diet, but fruit should be avoided for all Mediterranean and grazing species such as Sulcata and Leopard tortoises.