Tips on coconut fiber substrate

tortilla4

Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Hello all,

I recently switched Sally over to coconut fiber substrate. It seems to be much better for her but I'm having a problem with it that I need your help with. Significant amounts of the substrate are getting into her water dish and food dish. Because this substrate is so finely grated its basically creating mud in the water and dirt covered food. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I tried to pack it down with my hand when I put it in but by moving around she quickly ruffled it back up. Tips are welcomed! Thanks you guys.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Those are the exact reasons I don't use it. If you like the sustainability of coconut etc, try coconut husk chucks.

What did you switch over from? Why?

I think orchid bark, actually it's fir bark used fro growing orchids in, not bark from orchids, is really well received for a few reasons. #1 is wide availability. It is often available at big box hardware stores, Walmart, etc. or mail order like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HK9HBVE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

tortilla4

South Dakota
Those are the exact reasons I don't use it. If you like the sustainability of coconut etc, try coconut husk chucks.

What did you switch over from? Why?

I think orchid bark, actually it's fir bark used fro growing orchids in, not bark from orchids, is really well received for a few reasons. #1 is wide availability. It is often available at big box hardware stores, Walmart, etc. or mail order like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HK9HBVE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I switched from red wood chips (not sure of the technical term for them) because she was eating her poop and they were getting stuck to the poop and it was causing her health problems. I was hoping that this would be slightly easier to digest should that happen again I just didn't realize how messy it is!