Tips on soaking sulcata thats does not want to stay in h20 / uncooperative

jefffff

Location (City and/or State)
NORCal
You can bypass the best read of your day if you want and go to the ****** section to get to the point...

I've got a Sulcata that's approximately 6/7 Mo.'s old, but its l;like he's 3 going on thirteen (aren't they all though?)

SO I haven't really seen many threads on this or I've overlooked them, but is there a solution to encourage your young Sulcata to want to stay in the water and soak? Maybe variables you have found that have helped yours?

There are times/days where its no problem at all, he/she will instantly plop down and relax, making his own little jacuzzi with bubbles from his butt or sometimes eyes open just looking around or we have a staring contest and he always wins unless I put a few droplets of water on his fat head. Then other times he sits down and slowly drifts off to sleep seems mad when I finally take him/her out or rewarm the water ... I soak at different times depending on schedule, literally any and all hours its occurred, though I rarely wake him, at night to soak, I have done it to ensure I'm keeping him hydrated after a long night of partying. Especially when I know my schedule is busy and that's the only time that will allow for a soak. And again sometimes, he'll go back to sleep others times he starts just pacing and trying to climb to get out. SO let me go over my conditions ff as maybe that's an issue, but I've tinkered with them to try and see if that's the issue and it honestly seems as tho, there are just days where he is not having a bath, just like any stubborn youngster i suppose,.,

I've tried all kinds oF containers. small, large, high wall, low wall, round a bowl, green blue black red clear (clear is definitely a no go., Had read that but thought maybe he's a weirdo like me and doesn't like what everyone else does... But nope he's just mystified by the magic force field and determined to get past it. . . . SO I've settled on shelf container that's all black. About 5 inches tall on 3 sides, and a sloped side that's about 2 inches to allow easy access to put items in when stacked on each other. (of course, nothing is stacked on it, open air) about 1ft W X 1ft L., Plenty of room for him to wander or freAK OUT DEPENDING ON THE DAY. When I say freAK OUT i JUST MEAN him constantly pacing trying to get out...

Next Water (usually filtered, but always quality water that I drink. And special occasions Acqua di Cristallo Tributo a Modigliani but on a regular basis AQUA DECO) I love a glass of tortoises water, right after he's done soaking, best thing right behind his half-eaten dandelion greens w/ ranch.

So I take temp gun and usually start the water about 88-90, a temp to where I can stick my fingers in it and leave them there and it's not hot at all, would personally like it warmer if I was to be in it, but it's not cool either. Maybe slightly above room temp. lukewarmish maybe the best description? I usually end up warming the water up/ changing it at least once, usually twice/3times on an extended soak. I know many have said until they poop/pee in it, but there are times when he poops as soon as he hits the water or just 4-5 minutes in. In that case, I always change the water out and continue the soak. I've tried to see if the temps may be an issue raising an lowering them slightly but it has no effect that I've noticed. Really just seems like its a mood thing, or maybe a moon thing (haven't p[aid attn to that and a strong believer that has a massive impact on the earth and the inhabitants of it and really should research it a lot more (another post another topic)
SOAK TIME - I don't really time him per say, but its always at least 15 minutes, usually longer or about the water cooling down twice. Unless of course he's in one of his YOLO moods and ain't got time for that soak. Thats what this post is abo0ut...
WATER LEVEL. - slightly covers his tail/butt if he is sitting flat. Technical terms cover his lower plastron entirely and come up to where his carapace begins. He can have his head lower / in shell and the water just barely comes to his chin, this is estimated, not much higher or lower, just really depends on him, if he's up a bit more active, there's slightly more water to make sure he's good an soaked, if he's flat on his plastron & sleepy, then the water is lower. I do watch him the whole time i SOAK him too. Just in case he dopes one of those fancy tricks he does....

So environment has been experimented with trying small variables to see if one was making him uncomfortable and I've got to conclude nop, seems to be ok.

While I soak him I sometimes get a cue tip and gently will take water and trace the lines of his shell, gently scrub his hind area if it's especially messy ( I then change water), I then sometimes rub his head with cuetip and or feet/legs. I've tried giving him a small treat/ food / even a shot of Jack. We are back to sober living as of 4/20 though, so no more Jack.

I try to do this at the minimum every other day and aim for daily, but unfortunately, there's just not enough time on certain days, but he's getting soaked at least 4-5 times a week. and always has access to water and lives in a tortoise mansion with humidity hovering around 80-90% and temps around 85-95 sometimes slightly lower or higher depending on if it's under basking light, midday, or at night, they fluctuate accordingly and within recommended environmental ranges.
So after that excessively over detailed post that could have been summed up like this " WHat do you do for a tortoise that doesn't seem to want to stay soaking despite it being time for a soak?"

N

no one

You can try giving a soak in your kitchen sink. And most Tortoises will exercise during the soak. As for a time frame, 30 minutes at least is better. 30 to 40 minutes.

Just keep soaking your Tortoise he does need it. Maybe you are overthinking it?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hi jefffff, soaking in the morning seems to work good. My guy seems to prefer his water a little warmer, 90 to 100°. I place him while he is soaking partially underneath his basking lamp. Like *Debora* said the exercise they get is good. It's really more of a mental thing on our part, we see them frantically trying to get out and we feel like we are doing them harm. It's the exact opposite, it is very beneficial to them.

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
My Sulcata (he's 1 year 6 months old now) is the same way, some days he will soak for 10 min the next day it will be 40-60 min. The temp I use is 90 degrees, plus or minus 1 degree, and I soak everyday. I know when he's had enough because he is trying to climb out of the soak tub, that's when I will take him out. I am not an expert, but my opinion is not necessarily how long he/she soaks but how often they soak. My thought is if they were in the wild and didn't want to soak anymore they would get out. So my thoughts are more soaks and take him/her out when they want out ...... just my opinion!!

daniellenc

Maryland
My red foot hates soaking and often flips himself trying to escape. I am currently looking for a new container with even higher sides. I don't think there's a way to teach him to enjoy his baths, but it's kinda like eating your veggies as a kid. You don't like it, and your parents make you because it's good for you. I just sit by his cage and surf the web while he soaks. When he flips I put him back upright and continue the soak. I have tried putting flowers in for him to eat, using the sink, and the bathtub, popping fruit in as a treat but to no avail he just genuinely hates soaking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@jefffff
You are wayyyyyyyyyy over thinking this. Put the tortoise in the tub, keep the tub somewhere warm so it doesn't cool so quickly and walk away. Let the tortoise do whatever it does. You can have a second tub standing by and simply shift the tortoise over if it has fouled the first tub.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@jefffff
You are wayyyyyyyyyy over thinking this. Put the tortoise in the tub, keep the tub somewhere warm so it doesn't cool so quickly and walk away. Let the tortoise do whatever it does. You can have a second tub standing by and simply shift the tortoise over if it has fouled the first tub.
I usually end up swapping tubs about 5 times before he's done going [emoji849]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually end up swapping tubs about 5 times before he's done going [emoji849]
Then you can get the first tub re-ready after the first shift and just keep shifting back and forth. Or have six tubs… :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Then you can get the first tub re-ready after the first shift and just keep shifting back and forth. Or have six tubs… :)
I keep two tubs and empty / refill as I go. Emptying six tubs of dirty water at once doesn't sound fun at all [emoji16]

daniellenc

Maryland
Since it’s mid 70’s outside. He does better out here when distracted. So 15 minutes in, reheat water, and outside when u can weather permitting

Attachments

• B71C13EA-52DE-4EDD-A01A-C0B988CFE08C.jpeg
    B71C13EA-52DE-4EDD-A01A-C0B988CFE08C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20