TNT and russian tortoise seed mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

5 Year Member
I'm planning on purchasing the TNT and Russian Tortoise seed mix from Carolina's. I wonder though if I need both? Any advice or recommendations? I like the fact that the TNT has calcium and other beneficial nutrients, but the seed mix has alot of these as well. Is it harmful to use both or just unnecessary?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, its not harmful. Your soil may be depleted of certain nutrients, so in that case, you would use the TNT as a supplement two or three times a week by sprinkling it over the food. It is a fine powder.

Dawn

5 Year Member
My husband created an extension to Jack's enclosure yesterday for his 'garden area'. Its a seperate box attached to his main enclosure w\ a tunnel. We hope he'll use it as I've heard russians like tunnels. I wonder if the russian seed mix may need a special grow light to expedite growth? And will this grow light affect Jack in any way?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All the seeds I've ever bought from CPS have sprouted withing a couple days of being planted. He sells a very good product.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you are trying to grow the seeds inside the house in your tort addition, you might consider even a basking light to keep that area warmer so he can eat.
The seeds won't need a grow light to sprout, but they may get leggy if they don't have light. As long as it is not a coil light, it should not hurt the torts.
The TNT is nice, especially in the winter, because you can't get flowers and the variety of weeds. It is a great product and lasts a long time. If you split it up, you can put 1/2 in the freezer, keep the other bag in the veggie bin or door of your fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.