To bask or not to bask that is the ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well recently I read some post regarding the need for a basking area...Is it necessary if the ambient temp is maintained high enough??

The reason I ask..I keep my enclosure at a constant average of 87*F...I have two heat bulbs and two UVB bulbs (that produce no heat)..I never see my large sulcatas bask under he heat lamp....The smaller sub adult will move back and forth between the UVB and the heat lamp... Preferring to stay under the UVB bulb 90% of the time.

Also If the temp passes 90* they all pretty much go into there hides and sleep..

They eat, poop and are very active... So how important in my scenario is a basking area??

Thoughts ..opinions..

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe your ambient temp is too hot. Tortoises thermoregulate their body temperatures by moving in and out of a hot basking area. By your ambient temp being so high you have taken that opportunity away from them. I don't know how serious it is, but I just know they need a cool down period and with your temp so high they can't cool down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It also depends upon the type of tortoise. Quite a few redfoot keepers don't have a temperature gradient. They keep it the same temp all across the habitat. Some RF bask and some don't.

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
It also depends upon the type of tortoise. Quite a few redfoot keepers don't have a temperature gradient. They keep it the same temp all across the habitat. Some RF bask and some don't.

In this case it's a Sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried this with some babies this year. The all one temp set up. They did not thrive as well as the babies that were allowed to thermoregulate. Sulcatas need a warm ambient with an optional higher basking spot. Redfoots may be a different story...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Maggie...there is a cool spot were the temp is around 80* on the far side of the enclosure...we're I keep there water tray...but they rarely lay there...They all seem to prefer to be on the warmer side...I'm debating either removing the heat lamp(since they don't use it) Or trying to lower the temp in the enclosure.. Which is not a simple task considering the enclosure is also heated via the house heat..

Yvonne ..I have 2 lg adult sulcatas and one sub adult female..

I also want to mention what I've noticed ...when they take there midday siesta they they lay in the middle of the enclosure and stretch all there limbs and head out... They really look like there dead..

Thoughts?

Tom said:
I tried this with some babies this year. The all one temp set up. They did not thrive as well as the babies that were allowed to thermoregulate. Sulcatas need a warm ambient with an optional higher basking spot. Redfoots may be a different story...

Tom..Do you think it's the same for adult sulcatas??

I mean they have the opportunity to use the heat lamps..but don't...
Even first thing when the lights come on..the two bigger ones head right to the UVB basking area and the little one heads to the heat lamp..after the big ones move out of the UVB area..the little one moves there..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems logical to me that it would be the same in this instance. The thing is that sulcatas are so darn hardy, they can survive just about ANY conditions. Here's a thread I did elaborating the differences in my experience of thriving vs. surviving. It might help to illustrate my point a little better, though it does not specifically address your heating question.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Thriving-VS-Surviving#axzz1cC16dY1i

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So if I am reading all correct here :D you have a cool end of 80ish and the rest of the enclosure is 87ish along with a hot spot under the heat lamp? As well as cold uvb throughout? If I am reading this correct...sounds like you have an ideal range and I would leave as is :p. IMHO.

I almost thought by your first post that all temps in entire enclosure was 87ish and then the hot spot....I then read onto where you further shared you actually do have the cooler end 80ish.....

Oh yeah..to actually give my answer in your question :D yes, give option to bask...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ok..the heatlamp stays incase they get that basking feeling....

How does the average temp sound???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tony the tank said:
Ok..the heatlamp stays incase they get that basking feeling....

How does the average temp sound???

If you've got an 80 degree cool end, an 87 ish degree warm end, and a basking light where they can get even warmer if they want to, I don't see how it could be better.:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Also remember- bigger torts thermoregulate differently than small ones do- they build up heat more slowly, but also hold it longer. The ratio of surface area to internal volume is much different as they get big.

(As far as Red-foots go, I think the majority opinion is that they do indeed benefit from a gradient, especially since most of them do not come from a rain forest where everything is supposed to be all one temp (and that is not even true anyway.))

Status
Not open for further replies.