To bask or not to bask?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
That is the question.
K.erosa and k.homeana are found generally in leaf litter, often around rocks, in rainforests that aren't going to allow much light in. As such, most people do not recommend providing a basking spot to these species-and even some keepers of nogueyi don't for them either. However, they must be exposed to the sun sometime, as they frequently found in swamps and rivers which are generally associated with clearings. And if you believe the 'rule of 80'-I don't personally-then they must be able to bask to get their body temperature above that as there is no way they'll get to that in the forested areas. Now some of you may know that 3 months ago I put in a 100W bulb that creates a hot spot of 33 Celsius-somewhere between 90 and 95- at it's closest(there's a little platform which is closer than the other bits). They do not seem afraid to go near the light at all, that's where they eat in the morning.
Here was my observation yesterday afternoon: my big male, so obviously basking. Legs stretched behind him, neck out to the light, very still. He was on the platform I spoke about earlier. This is the first time I've seen one actually 'bask', rather than just walk around under the light.
So do k.homeana and k.erosa bask sometimes?
Interested in the opinions on this.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have never seen either species bask here. I have seen them out while it was light. For the most part they are tucked away during the day, unless the misters go off. Then the males will breed the females. But their pen is rather heavily planted. So doesn't really give a sun shine or basking spot anyways.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
I observed the same this morning with one of my females this time. The room is no colder than usual-still about 23-24 Celsius, which is about 75 I think. My pen is still heavily planted and 1/2 of it is a completely covered area with no light coming in except for the entrance to the open area-the open(by this, I mean not a closed chamber style thing, the enclosure is a pond with a cover over half of it) area still maintains 80%+ humidity. That 'dark' area is rocky and filled with moss, the rest is planted and leaf litter. Have you ever tried a basking spot with your guys?
I still observe the same expected behavior as you with activity, they are much more active at dusk when I check on them, and sometimes I hear them at night. And again, much more active after a misting.
I will try to get pics of them next time they do it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine bask. They may not bask every day, but every so often they do. Some seem to like basking more then others (and it is both genders), but I believe I have witness everybody at one time or another basking. This has been both when inside and when outdoors.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Interesting. It does seem bizarre for what appears to be a TRUE forest tortoise-then again, some people say red foots never bask, when they spend the majority of time out of deep forest.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Talk about playing right into my hand:

Kept K. erosa for about two years or so - they laid eggs.. which to me means that something was right!

Observed them outside breeding in the rain - [ turn speakers up ] -

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cle...t=3&o=47&_suid=139308023914408832485793776816

In LOW temps ( 16~18C they liked best ) you would never suspect - they thrive in the rainforest/swamps of west Africa
where their staple diet is mushrooms ( their source of vitamin D! ).
Where do mushrooms grow?.. dark.. cool.. damp!

Beautiful male after rain -

Of course they liked to soak -

Mine were hiding in leaf litter inside and never saw them near the dim light hardly ever.
Outside only at dusk and at midnight I would see them out in the light of the moon!

FLINTUS said:
Interesting. It does seem bizarre for what appears to be a TRUE forest tortoise-then again, some people say red foots never bask, when they spend the majority of time out of deep forest.

Anyone who claims that redfoot tortoises spend the majority of their time outside of deep forest is wrong!

First they don't live in deep forest.. they live on the outskirts for the most part. Everyone that I've corresponded with - from Venezualea and Rio.. have told me that they see few redfoots out in the daylight and only when they hike into much denser "forest" is when they see them in much greater numbers!

My experience of keeping and breeding to the stage now of second generation eggs/hatchlings since 1998 have observed the very same thing!

Once again there is always exceptions and extremes - which we should never establish as the total picture.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Terry, I keep mine the same way with plenty of mushrooms and quite low temps compared to what is recommended. I have had mine out in 10 in the rain and they were very active. I also feed many, many mushrooms and they are supplemented with D3 powder. However, while most of my enclosure is like your inside-I believe you said on one thread the only light was from a window on the other side of the room, these guys(well, two of them) are actually choosing to move into the light-and by the sounds of it, Jacqui's have as well. I guess k.erosa have a huge range so it may be a regional trait. There was a study on k.erosa and k.homeana and where they were found-I'll have a look through my computer for it- and I think 80% of the time they were found buried in leaflitter and not active. They were however found in clearings where rivers were.
The Red Foots' experience you have completely conflicts with what I have observed. Did yours bask at all then? Mine have quite often moved their ceramic pot hide closer to the basking lamp to heat it up from the other side of the enclosure! Of course, as you said there are regional exclusions-the mountainous range would be my 'extreme' example. But they are often referred to savannah tortoises in their home ranges. Someone like Eric would probably be able to provide really useful input on this.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Flintus my redfoot caresheet shows the heat source over the hide which is filled with loosened spaghnum and very moist.. so that stands to reason.. no conflict there - these critters will tell you what they want and need!

Those that claim they are savannah.. I doubt have ever put their boots on and armed themselves with swords to make it into anything that was at all dense.. where the majority are found. I believe what those that live where redfoots live.. have told me. True they do wander out into the sun occasionally. I'm of the opinion that if they want to bask it's because they are not warm enough and/or something is missing in their diet

Mine come out in the mornings to warm up their bones [ which doesn't take long and then it's back to the hide/shade ].

I also have papers on the K.erosa that were sent to me by Dwight Lawson .. from Zoo Atlanta - I'll see about finding them also.