To build a house in Stilbaai

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Look who was found wandering near the houses' watertank today... View attachment 344168 View attachment 344169
(We're not currently there, a passerby saw him and sent the image)

Look who was found wandering near the houses' watertank today... View attachment 344168 View attachment 344169
(We're not currently there, a passerby saw him and sent the image)
Nice 🤗 it looks like you have some pretty cute wild pets too hanging around 😜 to take care of.😜 Or at least you can visit with them 😊

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Is there some sort of small shallow watering hole for passing wildlife to use near the house or would that attract the wrong sort of visitors?
Well, we don't have any sort of ponds or such close by, but I'd think to lure the torts you'll have to use water, and inadvertently you'll lure other animals like snakes. The Jojo tank we have seems to lure snakes in the area, and even if a bit of water drips from it, it would lure the bees. I suspect the neighbouring bee farm, about 20m from the house, has water ponds, which lures the torts. It is interesting however, it's the first time I've seen one so high up there, they're normally further down in the valley IMG 20220314 WA0000
(View from the house)

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
LMAO....your friends know you so well, they send you turtle pics from your property even when you aren't there!

Very cool.....he's a big boy!
Lol, they know, I'd always ask if they've seen any torts. He is big indeed! I wonder how old he is? His carapace seems to be old, but it would be difficult to guess the age with any wild tort. He does seem different than the other one I saw though. I would guess this fella is atleast 5, about 8-10 years old