To build a house in Stilbaai

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Is the floor of the house level? It may be an optical illusion, but it appears to be a bit slanted. Or is that done purposely if it is truly not level?
Didn't even realize the photo looked like that, I was leaning over our wind barrier so it looks slanted, hopefuly this is better20220110_180648.jpg
Hum, no vapor barrier beneath the siding?, and What is the siding?, Rounded exterior 25mm x 100mm. That will be a nice front porch to watch sunset's/sunrises
Here in SA, we don't use vapour barriers, I googled and it said it was used to keep extreme cold out, but here we don't have it, about -2C is the coldest here. But I'm not sure what it's used for? The siding is tounge and groove wooden planks, so they slide in and after being given brute motivation via a hammer, it'll seal shut, so no humidity will leak in. A plastic layer will be placed by the inner facing wall then insolation, then another wall
@MenagerieGrl the porch came out good! It looks like a Southern porch20220110_181655.jpg

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
A sunset20220111_053139.jpg
A spotted harlequin snake20220110_112733.jpgScreenshot_20220103-101713_Chrome.jpgSome big dapper birds (wearing 1800 regalia)20220111_120951.jpg20220111_193452.jpg20220111_195012.jpg
Everything rusts here, these nails were in for 2 days?20220110_181927.jpg20220110_181913.jpg
A lesser thick tail scorpion20220108_122307.jpg
A small cow20220108_115850.jpg
A cute little angulate (picture taken by someone else close to where I found Jerome)IMG-20220110-WA0011.jpg
Insulation and walls are coming up. The copper has been solderd and the plumming is in. The electricity is also in20220113_111139.jpg20220113_111822.jpg
A panorama of the inside of the house20220110_182022.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Checking in with my brother from the other side....and his yard full of things that want to kill you<LOL>! The house looks great!! You are moving quickly!

......and while there seems to be some concern for it being perfectly level......no worries mate, we know you guys are all bout 1/8th a bubble out anyway so in way, it's "compensating".....teasing of course....

Thanks for loving the camera and taking the time to post!

jeff

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It's going good @jeff kushner ! (sorry for the late reply, things have been going crazy over here)
Lots of progress!
Stairs going upIMG-20220115-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20220116-WA0014.jpg
Ramp going upIMG-20220117-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220117-WA0011.jpgRamps finshedIMG-20220119-WA0004.jpg
Toilet inIMG-20220119-WA0005.jpg
Doors in (The one in the bathroom is a sliding door, that closes automatically)IMG-20220119-WA0008.jpgIMG-20220119-WA0010.jpg
The outside of the house is painted (I think it came out good!)IMG-20220119-WA0012.jpgIMG-20220119-WA0013.jpgIMG-20220119-WA0014.jpg
View from the porchIMG-20220119-WA0018.jpgIMG-20220120-WA0003.jpg

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Wow, you are really making progress, looks nice.
So, I see some white piping protruding out of the house, Is that for the black water?
Has there, or is there a Septic system going to, or is installed with a drain field?
And what do you do for Potable water? A Well?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I forgot to post that, in the beginning we burried a JoJo tank.
So the pipe behind the house is for the toilet/graywater, it flows along a certain gradient beneath the ground and reaches the tank, from outside the tank a small pipe flows, the area around it (cylindrically) has small stones and rocks, so that the clean water can flow out and drain in the ground. (The septic tank is burried with the drain pipe)
The water comes from a borehole, the problem is that the area is sandy, so the hole collapses, so they solidified the sides with a certain type of glue. But it has happened that the water hole gets plugged by the glue aswell.
Currently we have only one borehole, 2 or 3 others don't work, they are working on it however

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Well everyone, the last few days have been quite busy, infact, I'm not even in Stilbaai any more, I'm back home, the exterior of the house is built and the inside still needs to be painted20220111_193452.jpg20220115_092619.jpg20220115_092915.jpg
And that my friends was to build a house in Stilbaai! I do hope you all enjoyed it!
(When we go back to continue, I'll update the thread)

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you so much for the landscape pictures & Flora & Fauna.
I Hope the work on the house continues, and thank you for the brief VaCa. . .
It was nice seeing your part of our wonderful world. .
??

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you. I enjoyed it also. I thought the picture of the ostriches was really interesting. Are they wild? I am just kinda wondering if the wild ones are all that much different from ones raised in captivity.? I doubt it but...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome home, how are your tort family?
It's been interesting seeing the house go up from scratch.
Did you find out anymore about the migrating torts?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Thank you. I enjoyed it also. I thought the picture of the ostriches was really interesting. Are they wild? I am just kinda wondering if the wild ones are all that much different from ones raised in captivity.? I doubt it but...
I think those are "captive" but I doubt that the farmer messes with them. We call them death chickens. One kick can break most of your ribs, they can run up to 70 km/h, and they peck. But these do look like the wild ones, so it is an intresting question!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sweet......neat, clean, non-disturbing construction....beautiful!

Lyn, the basin is low to the floor to feed and water the resident kammapa's........but they are better than the tokoloshe's (both mythical creatures said to hide under beds if my exwife related it correctly)

LOL

Really nice brother, really nice...........I especially like the sliding doors inside. Very efficiently built, ZERO trash around the sight....and it's interesting to see the differences in construction, like the wooden corner beads.

jeff

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Welcome home, how are your tort family?
It's been interesting seeing the house go up from scratch.
Did you find out anymore about the migrating torts?
Torts doing good! Zvezda is getting heavier, and Sunny is growing quick!
I haven't heard anything else about them migrating.
It is weird, like @Maro2Bear pointed out, hundreds, is a lot, so it does almost seem exagerated? But what confuses me is that the foreman is a straight to the point, no rubbish kinda person, so when he said that a lot of torts are migrating, he most likely ment isolated groups or single torts crossing the road, sometimes they see a few babies a day, but he saw loads of single torts, or a few groups, migrating continuously, do you think someone like Tom or Mark may know why they migrated? (but I'll still be on the look out for more news on the torts)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Torts doing good! Zvezda is getting heavier, and Sunny is growing quick!
I haven't heard anything else about them migrating.
It is weird, like @Maro2Bear pointed out, hundreds, is a lot, so it does almost seem exagerated? But what confuses me is that the foreman is a straight to the point, no rubbish kinda person, so when he said that a lot of torts are migrating, he most likely ment isolated groups or single torts crossing the road, sometimes they see a few babies a day, but he saw loads of single torts, or a few groups, migrating continuously, do you think someone like Tom or Mark may know why they migrated? (but I'll still be on the look out for more news on the torts)
Tom and Mark may know, but it could be localised conditions making them move as well as their usual instincts. You could tag them in your thread about it to see if they've any idea,

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think those are "captive" but I doubt that the farmer messes with them. We call them death chickens. One kick can break most of your ribs, they can run up to 70 km/h, and they peck. But these do look like the wild ones, so it is an intresting question!
Their beak is like a ducks. It can be annoying, because of their curiosity, and they are a bit bigger than a duck ? so it's interesting if you try to work with one around. They be pecking. Going after your ribs means they somewhat like you. They will disembowel you if they don't. But they are so beautiful. The male doing the courting dance is downright amazing...to get to see in person especially. And I did. I so much doubt they'll let you tame them ?if they let you be they just happen to like you.?big bird