To Hibernate or not to hibernate...

CherryBlossom

5 Year Member
:tort:

I am the very proud owner of two beautiful spur thighed tortoises and they are my absolute pride and joy.

I am however terrified at the idea of hibernating them, I have done all the research under the sun on numerous websites to compare and I am still not confident with the idea. The other day I decided to stop being a 'pansy' as it is what is 'best' for my babies and they are currently on day 2 of winding down. Charlie is as active as ever but my little Blossom looks so sad!

So my question is... is hibernating really that necessary? My tots are as healthy as can be and they are super active. Or am i best to try hibernation and see how they get on and take it from there?

Any advice would be amazing right now as my poor brain is totally pickled!!

CherryBlossom

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for posting the link! I tried searching on here but as a newbie it had taken me about 15 minutes just trying to figure out how to post something! My tots are Greek Iberia and i have decided not to hibernate them this year, I am not a 100% confident about doing it and i have only had them 5 months. I will keep an eye on them and if they show signs themselves of winding down i will of course let them have an extended snooze! :)