To hibernate or not?

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I'm a first time tortoise owner and have had my tort about a month.

I've not owned a tortoise before and have done lots of research but still feel a bit wary of hibernation.

I have a 5 year old Hermanns male who has been hibernated before but wasn't this past year.
Some people on here have said not to hibernate him this year as I'm a new tort owner. Other have said I should.

Could I get more advice on this please as I feel no amount of research is making me feel confidant in hibernating him (maybe I'm just nervous) and I just want what's best for my tortoise

Thank you - any advice, tips and info will be gratefully accepted x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This topic is very debatable and controversial. Do a forum search and spend some time reading the numerous previous debates. Everything from all possible points of view has been spelled out many times.

In short, do it if you want to, but do it right. Don't do it if you don't want to, but your tortoise might feel otherwise.

immiexxo

UK
If I don't do it, would my tortoise ever initiate it himself in anyway, ie burying himself and sleeping for long periods of time etc?
X

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If I don't do it, would my tortoise ever initiate it himself in anyway, ie burying himself and sleeping for long periods of time etc?
X

Maybe. There are different cues that tell the animal that it's time to hibernate. Temperature, length of day, etc. You can try to prevent it by maintaining the temperature year round and by keeping your lights on for 12-14 hours/day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate my Russian. He slows on his eating for a while in the winter months. He does this in summer too. I maintain the same higher temps so he won't try to hibernate himself. So far, three winters now I think, and he does just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
X

He might. Some do and some don't. Even when you adjust al the lighting and heating "perfectly", some still want to go sleep through the winter. Others don't even miss a beat. They act as if there is no such thing as winter. It can go either way.

Personally, I prefer to hibernate species that would be hibernating in the wild. I think this is "best" for them. Other people disagree or see it differently.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If you are not confident he is healthy and that you can provide proper hibernating conditions, then don't. Lots of people don't. It can be work to keep them awake and make them eat though.

nextep

Personally I wouldn't hibernate your tort, you have to provide the correct conditions, and if you're not confident about it its not worth the stress. I dont hibernate my russian and he's fine, he eats less during winter and sleeps more but is still active, and specially healthy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm a first time tortoise owner and have had my tort about a month.

I've not owned a tortoise before and have done lots of research but still feel a bit wary of hibernation.

I have a 5 year old Hermanns male who has been hibernated before but wasn't this past year.
Some people on here have said not to hibernate him this year as I'm a new tort owner. Other have said I should.

Could I get more advice on this please as I feel no amount of research is making me feel confidant in hibernating him (maybe I'm just nervous) and I just want what's best for my tortoise

Thank you - any advice, tips and info will be gratefully accepted x

I would personally try to hold off for a full year..I suggest this because you ddon't have a point of reference yet to know his normal patterns to be confident in recognizing if something it out of sorts..also when a tort is moved to a new location there can be some underlying stress which can be magnified during brumation..plus during that year ti, e you can assure you are offering plenty of food for the tort to pack on prooer weight and offer proper hydration..exercise..sunning and such to put him in the healthiest state to then enter his rest..also this will give you ample time to learn what you will need to do to set up the kost successful hibernacle in the best winter oocation...just what I would do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would personally try to hold off for a full year..I suggest this because you ddon't have a point of reference yet to know his normal patterns to be confident in recognizing if something it out of sorts..also when a tort is moved to a new location there can be some underlying stress which can be magnified during brumation..plus during that year ti, e you can assure you are offering plenty of food for the tort to pack on prooer weight and offer proper hydration..exercise..sunning and such to put him in the healthiest state to then enter his rest..also this will give you ample time to learn what you will need to do to set up the kost successful hibernacle in the best winter oocation...just what I would do.

Apology for my typos..I am using a mini tablet and it appears my fingers have wandered a few times...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy has over-wintered 3 times.
I keep up the temperatures and lighting and she gets a bit dozy in November for 2 to 3 weeks and then continues as normal.
Mind you, winters are short here, so it's easier.