To High night temperature. Can anyone help?!

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Tonight the temperature in my tortoise table is 27.3°c. This is way to high, right? Has anyone got any advice? Thanks.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post a picture of his enclosure? Members can help you sort out any problems with temps etc but they need to see your set up or it will just be guesswork.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
27c is only 80f that's not that hot, what kind of tortoise?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Can you post a picture of his enclosure? Members can help you sort out any problems with temps etc but they need to see your set up or it will just be guesswork.
I know this is a lame question, but how do post a picture?:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That temperature is fine for a baby tortoise. But I'm thinking you checked the temperature directly under the light. There's just no way to keep the whole open-topped table that warm.

think about it: YOU'RE body temperature is 37C, and that's a constant for you. So 27.3C isn't too hot for your baby.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
That temperature is fine for a baby tortoise. But I'm thinking you checked the temperature directly under the light. There's just no way to keep the whole open-topped table that warm.

think about it: YOU'RE body temperature is 37C, and that's a constant for you. So 27.3C isn't too hot for your baby.
It was in the shelter. It is 36°c under the heat lamp.

Last edited:

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk

The stuff in the corner was old food. ;)

1527616499215-1813248006.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
That depends on a lot of factors including type of tortoise, age of tortoise, whether your talking about UVB light or basking light/heat, and whether it gets any outside time.
You would have to tell us a lot more about your tort [emoji846]

At the moment my basking light is on 12 hours per day, now my tort is outside in natural sunlight for a couple of hours each day, my UVB is on for about 5 hours. I do not have any night time heat but some torts will require heat but not light throughout the night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
27 is a great daytime temperature in the enclosure, as long as you have the 36 degree basking area. The night temperature should drop down below that when the lights are off.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
That depends on a lot of factors including type of tortoise, age of tortoise, whether your talking about UVB light or basking light/heat, and whether it gets any outside time.
You would have to tell us a lot more about your tort [emoji846]

At the moment my basking light is on 12 hours per day, now my tort is outside in natural sunlight for a couple of hours each day, my UVB is on for about 5 hours. I do not have any night time heat but some torts will require heat but not light throughout the night.
Both of my lights are on for 12hrs. (The UVB and heat lamp.)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Both of my lights are on for 12hrs. (The UVB and heat lamp.)

Hey, well mine was both on for 12 hours until recently but the weather is now hot enough for my baby to spend a few hours outside each day in the sun so I really don’t need the UVB light at the moment as it is getting enough from the sun.

Plum

Bristol
27 is a great daytime temperature in the enclosure, as long as you have the 36 degree basking area. The night temperature should drop down below that when the lights are off.

Can you remind me of the temp range for ambient temperature and under the lamp in degrees c - thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you remind me of the temp range for ambient temperature and under the lamp in degrees c - thanks
For Testudo and other temperate species I like to provide a basking area that is around 36-37 directly under the bulb. I don't worry too much about ambient heat during the day as long as the room temp is in the range of 18-29. At night I like the temp to drop down to around 17-18, although adults can certainly tolerate it lower.