to make baby RES eat fruit etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakawoosh

5 Year Member
my baby RES finally wants to eat (I gave it pellet) but now I would like try to give it fruit (strawberry) or maybe veggies (carrot, lettuce) so how should I do that? shall I just cut them to the small pieces and put some into the water?

Sent from my GT-I9070 using TortForum mobile app

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Yes cut up some strawberries very very small so the babies can eat it. And just put it in the water they will love it!! Don't feed strawberries too often as they will get too used to them and refuse to eat anything else!!

Also feed them lettuce. Romaine lettuce is okay, not iceberg lettuce.

Res diet should be 50% veggies 25% pellets and 25% live food.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The diet of a RES will gradually move from a more protein rich diet to one that is more vegetarian as they grow. Offering greens and other veggies is a good idea to start early. I don't know that fruit is a necessary food item at this time, like it might be for Psuedemys. I would not offer the strawberry, but would try to feed the lettuce and carrot. Don't be surprised if the little turtle won't eat the veggies, but it can't hurt to keep trying until it comes around.

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Offering greens is a good idea to start. You want to get your baby res used to the veggies as stated above it will become more of their diet when they are a bit older. As hatchlings it will be a little more protein.

You don't have to give strawberry, but I do. My 2 baby res love it. I only give it once and a while strawberry.

They mainly eat pellets and lettuce with he odd strawberries

As well as live rosey red minnows

Status
Not open for further replies.