To moss, or not to moss

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
This is about live moss. This subject was brought up in a different thread and I thought I could get more people involved in the discussion if I started it in a new thread.

I thought it would be a good idea to place mats of live moss that I had harvested from my own yard into my young sulcatas indoor enclosure. Then I was informed that this may be dangerous by a reliable source. So I removed it, yet I am not so sure if it is truly a threat to my tort and therefore am asking for more info.
The danger lies in possible impaction from eating it, or in some instances, becoming entangled in the moss.
Has anyone had a tort become impacted from eating live moss?
Has anyone had a tort become entangled in live moss?
How many people actually use live moss in their enclosures?
Is there a safer alternative?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey BamBam. I did use wild moss for my indoor Eastern Boxies when I was keeping them, with no issues, but didnt even try using moss with indoor enclosure for our sully hatchling. But, my boxies were older and probably knew to not eat moss. I did grow some grass and chia in our Sullys enclosure, but just found that peatmoss, orchidbark coco coir substrate and tufts of green grass seemed more natural. The sprouts of grass encouraged our sully to eat growing grass as part of his early diet.

I think you are better off encouraging your Sully to nibble on new green fresh grass than to nibble on moss.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hey BamBam. I did use wild moss for my indoor Eastern Boxies when I was keeping them, with no issues, but didnt even try using moss with indoor enclosure for our sully hatchling. But, my boxies were older and probably knew to not eat moss. I did grow some grass and chia in our Sullys enclosure, but just found that peatmoss, orchidbark coco coir substrate and tufts of green grass seemed more natural. The sprouts of grass encouraged our sully to eat growing grass as part of his early diet.

I think you are better off encouraging your Sully to nibble on new green fresh grass than to nibble on moss.
My tort does eat grass, very willing. There is always food available to him and a variety of it.
He did nibble the moss, which I had expected, on the Tortoise Table it is listed as a safe feed. But then I was told it MAY pose a risk for constipation like the dried moss has the risk of.
One of the things that I liked about laying the moss out like I was, was that I could broadcast some of the weeds across it without the substrate sticking to it. This kinda gave more of a "grazing" effect.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Would the type of moss have any effect on the chances of impaction? As in live frog moss compared to live sphagnum moss?