to soak or not to soak??

Jen Rosell

Hello everyone!!! I have a question about soaking, I've tried to find the answer on my own but then just got frustrated, haha. I have read many different ideas on this but my question is, if you don't know how old your tortoise is then how do you know how often? I read only soak young ones everyday older ones a couple times a week. Is this another matter of personal preference? I couldn't even guess if Pebbles is 1 yr old or 15!!! Thanks in advance for help...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What kind of tortoise do you have?

You can make an educated guess based on size, whether it's a baby, a juvenile, sub adult or adult.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
For me it depends on each individual tortoise. I noticed one of my DTs was having slightly gritty urates, so I started soaking her more until the urates were creamier. If your tortoise drinks enough on her own and has creamy urates, I wouldn't worry about soaking her. Good luck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soak. Always offer a soak from time to time....it is nothing that will harm the tort and will offer a moment for the tort to much about in the water....just keep an eye on the tort to assure the little one does not flip during the soak...

Jen Rosell

Thanks everyone, I was just concerned because I don't know if she is a baby or not... As far as husbandry goes, well.... I'm learning

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to know the age, but there is no reason you can't soak a couple of times a week to insure good hydration, regardless of age. Cheap insurance. It hurts nothing if you soak and your tortoise didn't need it.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Not a baby at 4" (assuming you're measuring in the standard way). Could be juvenile or sub-adult. Males mature at a small size. If you don't know when they hatched, all you can do is guess by size. Can you tell gender yet? that's clue. Breeding behaviors also tell you they're adult.

Jen Rosell

Not a baby at 4" (assuming you're measuring in the standard way). Could be juvenile or sub-adult. Males mature at a small size. If you don't know when they hatched, all you can do is guess by size. Can you tell gender yet? that's clue. Breeding behaviors also tell you they're adult.
I honestly have no clue of gender maybe someone can help me out?? I did buy he/she at a pet store

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 16